4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2008 9:03 AM by (chris_arnini)

Changes to Jpeg not Showing in other programs

I made changes to a JPEG using bridge and the raw filter and notice it does not show those changes in other programs. I usually use DNG's and notice that other programs show the image correctly modified, I think there is a new thumbanil embedded. Do changes I make in Bridge using the Camera Raw Function only show in Bridge? Is there a workaround, or a way to show the changed version? I have a ton of JPEGs lately that I noticed show no changes.
        • 1. Re: Changes to Jpeg not Showing in other programs
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          The changes made to JPEG images using ACR are stored as metadata. The image data itself remains unchanged. In order to see "corrected" JPEG images in other programs will be necessary for you to use a process that will first open the JPEG images in ACR. Then you can either save those images from ACR or else pass them to Photoshop after having been opened in ACR. You can either create an action that will do this, or else you can use the Image Processor that is part of Bridge. Or you can download the free Dr. Brown's 1-2-3 Processor from his website. That is what I prefer to do personally.
          • 2. Re: Changes to Jpeg not Showing in other programs
            Level 1
            Jim thanks for the info,
            So are you saying that unlike DNG files that I process using Bridge, I have to save over my jpegs to apply the changes, and can't go back to the original. One of the reasons I use DNG's right now is we can always go back to the DNG to make adjustments and those adjustments show everywhere (like in portfolio).
            what is DR Brown's 1-2-3?
            • 3. Re: Changes to Jpeg not Showing in other programs
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              Well, that isn't what I do. I guess we all have to develop a workflow that works for us. I treat the downloaded JPEG files as "master" files. I do the adjustments in ACR because, as you say, it's always possible to go back to the original image. So my workflow involves saving copies of the images (not overwriting the original images) in a separate subfolder. Yes, that involves more disk space, but that is how I prefer to work.

If you are not familiar with Dr. Brown, then you have a real treat in store for you. He is kind of crazy, in a good sort of way. And he has a lot of excellent tutorials and some free Photoshop add-ons. Here is the link to his website:

Russell Brown Show

Just click on "Photo Tips and Techniques".
              • 4. Re: Changes to Jpeg not Showing in other programs
                Level 1
                your not kidding, a little crazy but helpful.

I'll have to think about that workflow you are doing with regards to JPEG's.
                thanks for the help