3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2008 4:50 PM by Dennis 1111

Can I re-open photos in ACR once I close ACR dialog Box??

I have Photoshop set were it opens photos in raw interface when I first open them into Photoshop.

I usually do my tweaks in RAW interface then open the photo. I find that I may want to go back to RAW interface in the middle of editing to do more correction or add Raw presets. How do I open RAW Interface back up on the photo without saveing/exiting and then reopening? I read I can do this when I open a photo a smart object. But how can I do it if it is not a smart object?
        • 1. Re: Can I re-open photos in ACR once I close ACR dialog Box??
          Dennis 1111 Level 2
          You can't. It is a little like baking a cake. After you bake the cake you can decorate it in different ways and even carve it to a specific shape but you can't go back and change the recipe for the batter because it is already baked.

With CS3 you can create a "virtual cake" using smart objects. This lets you keep all your options open until later in the process. You said you knew about this and it's not what you wanted.

You could also partially start over by opening ACR on the same image again, make different adjustments, and then copy into your existing PS image. If most or all of your PS adjustments were made on layers, you could substitute the new raw image for the old one and have the layers affect the new raw image

You could also just add the new raw image to the stack. This is what some people do to blend different exposures of the same raw image.

Again though, based on the way you phrased the question, I don't think these alternatives are what you are looking for. Is there a specific reason you can't/won't use smart objects?
          • 2. Re: Can I re-open photos in ACR once I close ACR dialog Box??
            Level 1
            I guess,I do not really use smart objects and need to learn more about using. I just know you can't pait etc.. on a smart object.

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Can I re-open photos in ACR once I close ACR dialog Box??
              Dennis 1111 Level 2
              You can't paint, etc. directly on a smart object but remember that there are many operations you can do that LOOK like painting, etc. on the smart object. Just create a blank layer above the smart object layer. There you can paint, clone, heal, dodge, burn, etc.

With CS3 you can even apply most of the filters, including the shadow/highlights adjustment.

The downside I find to smart objects is that they can be resource intensive, both CPU and disk. If you don't have a fairly new and powerful machine, they can be kind of slow to use extensively.