3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2008 12:07 PM by Bill_Janes

ACR 4.41 capture sharpening

Hopsternew Level 1
      Hi I have a question for the experts here. I have XP SP3 PSCS3 ACR 4.41 I am learning Raw with the wonderful Real World Camera Raw with CS3 by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe.
      In the book it is recommended to do my capture sharpening with ACR. Currently I have been using the excellent Photokit Sharpener (1.2.6) plug in for PS,after finishing all of my editing in Raw and converting to PSD. Can anyone suggest equivalent settings in ACR 4.41
      Amount radius, detail masking options.

for each option in the digital hi-Res capture sharpening set?
      superfine, narrow, medium and wide edge
      I have an idea that Jeff Schewe might be involved in Photokit too??
      Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
      Geoff
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.41 capture sharpening
          Level 1
          >Can anyone suggest equivalent settings in ACR 4.41

No, there really is no set of settings since it depends on the source capture and the subject matter...the best bet is to make it look "good" at 100%...
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.41 capture sharpening
            Hopsternew Level 1
            Thank you Jeff. Your knowledge has been an absolute treasure for me in the book. I understand that the ideal settings will vary according to content. I was hoping to determine starting settings, for example as the sharpening plug in has for different subject types. I have one digital camera and one capture resolution. So I am focused only on my set up! I do appreciate that there is no one size fits all solution. I shall keep experimenting.
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.41 capture sharpening
              Bill_Janes Level 2
              >No, there really is no set of settings since it depends on the source capture and the subject matter...the best bet is to make it look "good" at 100%...

It seems strange to me that useful presets are possible with PKSharpener but not with the new ACR sharpening work flow, since both are based on the same principles: Bruce Fraser's sharpening methods.

While some degree of fine tuning is always desirable, Jeff does give some suggestions for landscape and portrait sharpening presets, both in the ACR with PSCS3 book (pages 170-184) and in the Camera Raw tutorial. I think these are for Canon 1DsMII resolution.

In his seminal sharpening book (Image Sharpening with CS2), Bruce Fraser discusses in some detail the settings for source (radius according to camera MP count and amount according to the strength of the blur filter). He also discusses sharpening for subject content in some depth. The OP implied high resolution, so Jeff's suggestions would be a good starting point in building presets for a given camera and subject matter, and the theoretical basis given in Bruce's book goes a long way into how to make rational adjustments.