14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2008 5:48 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40

Can't open camera raw images from my Nikon D40 in Photoshop CS2.

I downloaded the camera raw plug-in (3.7) but still cannot open the images.

Many problems:

1) I don't have the folder described in the instructions Library>Application Support>Adobe>Plug-ins>CS2?File Formats. My plug-ins are located inside my Photoshop folder. Even after I put the camera raw 3.7 in the plug-ins folder, it doesn't show up under "About Plug-ins."

2) I don't have an NEF plug-in anywhere. I searched the places mentioned in forums as well as a my entire computer.

Help!
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          >) I don't have the folder described in the instructions Library>Application Support>Adobe>Plug-ins>CS2?File Formats.

You are looking at the WRONG Library. You need the ROOT LEVEL Library, NOT your username Library.

>Can't open camera raw images from my Nikon D40 in Photoshop CS2.

No, and you never will. Either upgrade to CS3 and ACR 4.4.1, or download the free, standalone DNG Converter version 4.4.1 to convert your files to DNGs first.

CS2 will not be updated ever again.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
            John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
            ACR 3.7 for CS2 lists the Nikon D40...

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3586
            • 4. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
              i have the same problem with my d60 raw files. i did download the dng converter and the conversion tells me its completed yet then my images reappear as raw files not dng.
              no idea what to do now. help anyone???
              • 5. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                heike,

Do you mean that after you've run the DNG converter, the images that are created on your hard drive still have the NEF extension? That really doesn't make sense. Please explain your conversion process.
                • 6. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                  Level 1
                  yeah. so i download my images in nikon view nx. i make a file of nef/camera raw images drag them into the dng converter and convert all images in that file. the dng window tells me conversion successful, all files have a dng extension now BUT they seem to be greyed out/inactive and when i view converted file back in view or bridge the extensions appear as nef.
                  i feel like it's me who's doing something awfully wrong but cannot figure out what....am new to this whole digital thing...thanks, jim for responding!!!
                  • 7. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                    You need to verify your operating system, Photoshop version, and ACR version so that we can ensure that we are talking about the same thing.

When I use the DNG converter I "usually" just drag the images from the card to the DNG converter using a card reader. When the DNG converter opens I specify a folder on my hard drive. I have never had a problem like the one you are describing. If it indicates that the conversion was successful, are you sure you are looking in the right folder when you look at the DNG files? I can't see any way that the extension would change back or display as NEF.
                    • 8. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                      Level 1
                      i have cs2 and made sure to download the dng compatible with that operating system. acr??? don't even know what that is. i do believe i looked in the right folder but now i am starting to doubt...when i get home i will try to redo the whole process dragging the raws directly from my card reader as i have not deleted the files from my card yet.
                      i really thank you tons for taking the pain and i'd love to figure this out with you!
                      • 9. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                        Just one note of clarification that you need to understand. You do NOT have to match the version of the DNG converter with your version of Photoshop. You always want to use the latest version of the DNG converter. It will convert images from all of the most recent cameras that ACR supports. So, currently (as of today) you want to be using DNG converter version 4.4.1. It will create DNG files that will be compatible with any version of ACR back to version 2.4 which works with Photoshop CS.

The other thing to verify is what version of Camera Raw is installed on your computer. You want to make sure you are using version 3.7, because that is the last version that was created for Photoshop CS2. If you are using a Windows computer, open Photoshop and then go to Help/About Plug-Ins and click on Camera Raw. It should only be listed once; if it is listed more than once you have a problem. A dialog will appear that will indicate what version is installed. If it is anything other than ACR 3.7, then you don't have the latest version available.

Be aware that there will never be another update of ACR for Photoshop CS2. But if you keep track of the updates and always keep the latest version of the DNG converter on your computer you will have support for every camera that is supported by ACR.

I don't know if any of this information is helpful to you. I just want to help you understand how to integrate DNG files into your workflow.
                        • 10. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                          Level 1
                          ok, a few of these things i can answer now: i do have 4.4.1 and acr 3.7 downloaded. i work from a mac pro. however when i go into ps plugins a pop up window tells me this type of file is not supported. that's exactly where i get lost. also made sure there is only one version not multiple ones.
                          just now i actually tried to drag some nef images directly from the card into dng and that i did not manage to do either. honestly do not know what i am doing wrong. not normally THAT incapable with this kind of stuff.
                          do i have the plugins in the wrong spot maybe?
                          all of your info is helpful! am hoping to figure this out. thank you lots again jim!
                          • 11. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                            Level 1
                            also, i have nikon transfer to move my images from card to view nx. should i maybe use another program for that process, since opening the cardreader in transfer will not allow me to drag images into dng??? just a thought...
                            • 12. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                              >When i go into ps plugins a pop up window tells me this type of file is not supported.

That would be the case if you were double-clicking on the file. You are not supposed to "open" the plug-in, you are supposed to install it correctly in the location prescribed in the instructions on the download page, NOT in the application plug-ins folder but here:

Photoshop CS2:

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS2/File Formats/

Note that is NOT your username Library, but the ROOT LEVEL Library.

Please read the FAQs of this form here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb6a869.3bb5b2e0/0
                              • 13. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                                Level 1
                                thank you ramon. acr is installed in the correct loc. as you describe above. i get the message when dragging raw file into ps.
                                • 14. Re: Camera Raw, Photoshop CS2 and Nikon D40
                                  What version of ACR did you install, where and how? Did you delete the old, obsolete version that gets installed by default by the application? You can only have ONE version of the ACR plug-in installed, and you MUST remove the Nikon plug-in.

Please read the FAQs of this form here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb6a869.3bb5b2e0/0