14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 10:06 AM by Dinarius

"There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg

Dinarius Level 1
      PC/Windows XP Pro. Pentium 4/2Gb RAM.

I am constantly getting memory errors when trying to save batches of images from ACR4 either as Jpegs or DNGs.

A couple of images in to the batch a small window appears with a list of the files and next to each of them is the line: "There was not enough memory."

These are 220Mb TIFF files that are processed in Hasselblad's Flexcolor on the same computer. I can process an entire folder full (sometimes 50 images) without a hitch in Flexcolor, but Bridge/ACR4 and CS3 can't handle any reasonable number of images.

Could it be something in my settings? For the record, they are:

In Bridge, under Edit/Preferences/Camera RAW preferences, Camera Raw Cache is set to 10Gb. Jpeg and Tiff handling boxes are both ticked.

Under Edit/Preferences/Cache, Cache Size slider is slightly over half way to the right.

In addition, I have CS3 pointed to a formatted 500GB scratch disk all to itself.

And CS3's RAM is set to 80%.

Finally, this computer is used for nothing else except image editing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.
        • 1. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
          Thomas Knoll Level 2
          Try reducing the Photoshop CS3 RAM allocation.

You can also try the Camera Raw 4.5 public beta (a.k.a release candidate).
          • 2. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
            Dinarius Level 1
            I've just tried that in 5% increments. 75%, 70%, etc..etc...to 60%.

No joy! :-( It grinds through the first image and then the error message appears.

Another point, if I convert the Hasselblad files to DNGs using Flexcolour and then process them in ACR4, I can process any number of files to TIFF, Jpeg or DNG.

I only have a problem when trying to save TIFFs from ACR4 to either DNG or Jpeg. Maddening!

For the record, there are 26 TIFFs in the folder I'm trying to convert to Jpeg and DNG.

Will try the beta.

Thanks.

D.
            • 3. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
              Dinarius Level 1
              Just tried again with the 4.4.1 beta.

Still no joy. :-(

D.
              • 4. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                Dinarius Level 1
                One last point....

Using Image Processor in CS3, I can save all 26 TIFFs as Jpegs no problem.

I would have thought that CS3 used more resources than Bridge/ACR?

Pity Image Processor doesn't have a save to DNG option. Then I'd be sorted! ;-)

D.
                • 5. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                  John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                  Did you try the 4.5 beta?

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php?title=Camera_Raw_4.5
                  • 6. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                    Dinarius Level 1
                    For the record.......

Just bought a new computer.

Intel Core2 Extreme QX9650

8Gb 800Mhz DDR2 RAM

Vista Ultimate 64bit.

This is pretty much like having a Porsche sitting on my desk. (It gets through the Retouch Artists' Speedtest in 20.5 seconds. That's faster than any time posted on their website. The next fastest is 23 seconds.)

A few observations........

I am still getting "There is not enough memory." errors.

1. If I try to save out more than about 15 TIFFs, I ALWAYS get the error.

2. If I try to save out up to about 12, I get the error if I haven't remembered to purge the cache from the previous processing run.

In ACR preferences I have Cache set to 10Gb.
                    In General Prefs., I have Quick Thumbnails and Use Software Rendering both set.
                    I have CS3's % set to 70%.

Finally, I have a 500Gb formatted disk which CS3 has all to itself as a scratch disk.

Unless I'm missing something, this should be more than adequate.

Any ideas?

Thanks..

D.

ps. If I switched to Lightroom, would I have the same problem when saving out TIFFs?
                    • 7. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                      Thomas Knoll Level 2
                      • 8. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                        Dinarius Level 1
                        Installed the Plugin and I'm still having the same problem.

CS3% now set to 60%.

If I process a dozen files (can't really do anymore than that) I have to purge Cache AND close and reopen Bridge before processing the rest of the folder.

The only improvement is that, instead of breaking down completely and failing to process any images, it will process most of the batch but produce the memory error for a random few (never a sequence).

Finally, if I highlight a batch of images in the main Bridge window, if a scroll bar then appears while it is opening those images in ACR, I KNOW that I'm going to have a problem saving them as TIFFs.

Any other suggestions I would be happy to oblige. This is costing me huge amounts of time. It is a mystery to me how Flexcolor can save out ANY number of RAWS as TIFFs, but the same TIFFs opened in ACR (to remove a spot, for example) cause such problems for ACR.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.

D.
                        • 9. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                          Dinarius Level 1
                          ps.......

I'd still like to know if LR would give me less grief.

Have there been memory reports relating to LR?

Thanks.

D.

ps...........

Do the History and Cache settings in CS3 have any effect on ACR? I've set them to 20 and 4 respectively.

D.
                          • 10. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                            Dinarius Level 1
                            One further point.......

Running Image Processor in CS3 on these huge files runs without a hitch.

I presume that it's the Preview memory requirements in ACR4 that is behind this?

It would be wonderful if a solution could be found.

D.
                            • 11. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                              Dinarius Level 1
                              ........and this is a first...........

I made a few more changes to the setup based on the Adobe TechNote "Optimize performance of Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP and Vista".

I just now processed a folder of 20 223Mb TIFF images without a problem.

I then tried to open another folder of about 20 images.

While they were loading in the ACR window, I got the following error message:

"Unable to read the full size image. There was not enough memory."

Previously, the error only occurred during processing, never during loading.

Speaking with a colleague who has exactly the same camera (Hasselblad 39Mp MS) he has no problem using a Mac with 8Gb RAM. It appears to be a Windows specific problem.

A little feedback would be nice. ;-)

D.
                              • 12. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                                Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                Are you running the public beta of Camera Raw 4.5?

Are you hosting Camera Raw in Bridge or Photoshop? If you are hosting the dialog in Photoshop, try Bridge instead.
                                • 13. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                                  Dinarius Level 1
                                  Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.

If you mean by "Public Beta", did I download the 10.4Mb plug-in (as per John Cornicello's link above) and install it at Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats in place of the old plug-in, then yes.

I always run ACR4 via Bridge, never via CS3. CS3 always comes after conversion in my workflow. Also, I like to give Bridge/ACR a free run of available resources. Nothing else is ever open when I'm running them.

In CS3 under Edit/Preferences/File Handling, under Image Previews I selected 'Never Save'. Not sure if this affects ACR though.

Also, as per the suggestion in the article referred to in my last post, I removed the tilde ~ to activate the Bigger Tiles plug-in. CS3's memory % is now set @ 90%.

The only thing I haven't done is to activate the Microsoft 3Gb switch. I can't find instructions that are clear enough. Also, it may be that it makes no difference when running Vista 64bit, as I am.

For what it's worth, with these fine tunings, CS3 now executes the Retouch Artist's Speedtest in 20 seconds, a shade faster than before. This is extremely fast, so my setup should not be the problem here. I hope! ;-)

Finally, is there any point in trying LR? Or is its file saving/cache setup the same as ACR's?

Thanks for taking an interest in my case. I'm very happy to be a guinea pig since I will constantly have to process large numbers of files and I'd like to overcome this problem

Many thanks.

D.
                                  • 14. Re: "There was not enough memory" error message when saving DNG and Jpeg
                                    Dinarius Level 1
                                    I understand that LR2 has 64bit functionality.

Presumably, it can therefore address more RAM.

Could this be the answer to my problem, I wonder?

How many of my 8Gb RAM could LR2 address?

Since there appears to be no cure for my ACR problems, it might be the solution! ;-)

D.