3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2008 11:14 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

camera raw plug in 3.17

hi all i am having problems installing the camera raw 3.17 file i have in'my documents' to photoshop elements 4 and have given up trying.
      when i open the file i get sent to a blank elements 4 screen with no further instruction so i try finding it within the tools, filters etc ,still to no avail.i then go to 'preferences' and plug-ins and fiddle with those settings but still nothing!
      can anyone advise how (if at all) it is possible to convert elements 4 to accept raw files and if so what procedure should i follow?

i have the 'camera raw 3.17' folder available but no idea how to get elements 4 to accept it! have i got the wrong raw plug-in or am i doing something wrong in the plug-in procedure
      any help would be very welcome and i thank anyone in advance who can help, as my picasa 2 accepts raw files and it's free! kind regards,ardbrand
        • 1. Re: camera raw plug in 3.17
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
          Hello!
          It is not easy to help you given the few information you give us. In the future, please state your platform, the full version of the program, and verify the info you give us.

Using uppercase when applicable makes your text more readable, and would prevent the accidental use of the shortcuts of this forum, like the lower case I that italicizes the text.

I have to guess that you are using Windows, since you mention Picasa2, that seems to be win only.

Then, there is no such thing as Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) 3.17. The latest version compatible with PSE 4 is ACR 3.7.

According to the readme on the download page, http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3584

Once you have unzipped the ZIP that you downloaded.
          Photoshop Elements:
          Windows®:
          1. Exit Photoshop Elements
          2. Open My Computer
          3. Double-click Local Disk (C:)
          4. Navigate to Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements [4.0 or 5.0]\Plug-Ins\File Formats
          5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
          6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.
          7. Launch Photoshop Elements

In the future, please read the readme that you find in the download pages, the information is in there.
          • 2. Re: camera raw plug in 3.17
            Level 1
            hi PE Courtejoie and thanks for taking the time to reply
            I have already tried to install the 3.7 plug in accordance with the read me and it doesnt work!i have elements 4 in windows xp. i get confused with with step 6(Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4)so i downloaded a new 3.7 plug in and also the adobe dng converter and they are now both sat on my desktop!
            could you or anyone in easy terms explain how to proceed from here, as when i click on the 8bi 3.7 file on my desktop i once again get a blank elements 4 screen! thanks for any advice,regards ardbrand
            • 3. Re: camera raw plug in 3.17
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              Using Windows Explorer, locate the folder that is specified in the instructions for installing Camera Raw. Click on that folder in the folder list so that the contents are displayed in the right-hand window. Delete the Camera Raw.8bi filed that is in that folder. Then just drag the one that is on your desktop into that folder.