1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2008 2:46 PM by (waltthomas)

CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2

Running Mac with CS2. My camera raw files shot with my lovely Canon 5D open and can be viewed in bridge and in photoshop, but NOT the camera raw from my brand new Canon powershot G9. They are both producing CR2 files. I can see the images in the bridge browser window, but when I double click to open I get a dialogue box that says, "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." I have the 3.7 plug in installed. Please, some god or goddess of photoshop out there, show me the error of my ways!
        • 1. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
          Level 1
          You'll need to convert the raw CR@ files to DNG in order to have them read by Camera Raw 3.7.
          • 2. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
            CR 3.7 doesn't support the G9. It's too old. Solutions: either upgrade to version 4.x of CR (requires upgrade to PS CS3) or use the DNG Converter to convert your G9's raw files to DNG format, which you can then use in your existing version (3.7) of CR.
            • 3. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
              Level 1
              Thank you both for the insight. But just for my own info, shouldn't a CR2 raw format be a CR2 raw format no matter which camera? I don't understand the logic behind it all. Please enlighten me!!
              • 4. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                No, that isn't the way it works. Those raw files have a metadata tag that specifically identifies the camera model. ACR reads that tag and uses the information to know which of its profiles to use. That is why it is necessary to have a profile for each specific model.
                • 5. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  >shouldn't a CR2 raw format be a CR2 raw format no matter which camera?

Far from it! Jim has already explained one reason.

In the case of NEFs, one also has to take into account the fact that NEF files generated by Nikon scanners are not even camera raw files at all, despite using the same extension.

Kodak, Canon and Nikon are all guilty of misusing file extensions.
                  • 6. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                    All USB connectors are not compatible: you cannot plug a mini USB into a micro, or an USB A in a USB B, yet, they are all USB connectors... Is the only comparison I could find easily.
                    • 7. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                      Level 1
                      Thanks for all your help, oh wise ones! ; )
                      • 8. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                        I just bought a Canon Rebel Xsi (after having shot with the Rebel XT for 3 years) and Adobe is not recognizing the CR2 format, BUT does recognize JPGs. How do I set up a profile for the Xsi? I see nothing in the help where I can set it up OR I'm not putting in the right search parameter. Help!
                        • 9. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                          John Joslin Level 6
                          > Adobe is not recognizing the CR2 format

Adobe what?

If you mean Adobe Camera Ready you need Version 4.4.1.
                          • 10. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                            Betsy,

Photoshop will recognize JPEG images from any camera. Raw images contain proprietary information that requires the Camera Raw development team to create a profile for each specific model. If you have Photoshop CS3 then you should download and install Camera Raw 4.4.1. If you have Photoshop CS2 then you need to download the latest version of the DNG converter and convert your raw images to the DNG format. Those images can be opened by camera raw 3.7 which was the last version that was created for Photoshop CS2. There will be no more updates of ACR for CS2.
                            • 11. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                              Jeff, I need help to dwnld. dng to my windowsXP (laptop), so I can get CS2 to read my Canon 40D flies. I treid the dwn load once and selected just the DNG icon, but then I could not find the dng files and did not know where to look for it?

Thanks, Walt Thomas
                              • 12. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                Walt,

We need some clarification. What do you mean when you say that you selected just the DNG icon?
                                • 13. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                  Level 1
                                  Jeff/Jim:
                                  when I open Adobe there is a "link" that gets me to a page Adobe DNG, on that page I can click on Mac,or Windows DNG dwnld.,when I chose Windows(mysystem), it brings up a page about DNG etc.,at the bottom of that page there is a box to click on to Proceed to Download. After clicking on that, I went through a series of choices etc to dwnld (whichI did). At the end of this it says download complete. I can the get a dialog box that shows two icons, one is DNG, the other is Camera Raw. I (here we go), assume the Camera RAw is 4.4.1,which I don't need, so I rt. click "it" . Hope that explain helps.
                                  WAlt
                                  • 14. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                    Walt,

What you are downloading is a zip file. You should be able to designate where that zip file is downloaded to. After the download is complete you need to locate the zip file and double-click on it. It will open and you will be able to see two files; one will be Camera Raw.8bi and the other will be Adobe DNG Converter.exe. Just drag the DNG Converter from the zip file to your desktop. Then, all you have to do is locate your raw files. They can be in a folder on your computer or they can still be on the card from your camera. Drag those raw files and drop them onto the DNG converter. Set the options the way you want them. The only thing you really need to do is designate the folder where the DNG files will be created. Then click on the Convert button and the DNG converter will do its thing.
                                    • 15. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                      Level 1
                                      Jim/Jeff, In my 9:04am Jul.14 reply msg to you, I forgot to say what I did after clicking on the camera raw icon, which is:
                                      I assume the Camera RAw is 4.4.1, which I don't need withCS2, so I rt. click "it" AND THEN I DELETED the camera raw icon.
                                      Thanks,Walt
                                      • 16. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                        Walt,

You are right, you don't need/cannot use Camera Raw 4.4.1 with Photoshop CS2. It was appropriate to delete that file. But I still don't understand how you are trying to use the DNG converter. Or is it that you are using it and having no problems with it?
                                        • 17. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                          Level 1
                                          Jim:
                                          I am using the dng convrt., to convert my Canon 40D raw images so that I can open them in CS2. As I hardly use the power of CS2, i've been reluctant to invest $200.00 clams to upgrade to CS3. Care to comment on the value of CS3 for someone like me?

not sure exactly how I got there, but I did get the dng dwnld. and I'm able to sucessfully convrt., some images, soooo, thanks for your help.
                                          Walt
                                          • 18. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                            This is just my own personal opinion. But the improvements in Camera Raw alone are worth the upgrade. At this point, however, it might be worth waiting to see what CS4 will have to offer.
                                            • 19. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                              Level 1
                                              Okay Jim, thanks a lot for your help.
                                              Is there any kind of release date for such a product (CS4), or is it just something we would natural anticipate??
                                              Walt
                                              • 20. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                Adobe doesn't announce release dates. But if we look at the normal 18-month release cycle, Photoshop CS4 will most likely be released sometime this fall. That is not any kind of an informed answer, just speculation.
                                                • 21. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                                  >Adobe doesn't announce release dates.

Actually, it does. But only a few weeks before, when the exact date is well planned and fixed, and at which time Photoshop 7 will instantly cease to qualify for any upgrade.

Like Jim, I personally expect that to be in a few months from now.
                                                  • 22. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                    Level 1
                                                    I got it working. Had to manually update Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Now my Xsi CR2's are being read. Thank you all for your help anyway.
                                                    • 23. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                      i just bought a canon power shot G9. i'm having a hard time finding the correct plug in for the CR2 files in CS2.
                                                      i am familiar with RAW files but only with NIKONS. i shoot with a D70s.

can someone tell me what i should download?
                                                      and what the correct location is.

HELP!
                                                      • 24. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                        John Joslin Level 6
                                                        The G9 requires ACR 4.x which will not run with CS2.

You need to upgrade to CS3 or use the DNG converter to see the files in CS2.
                                                        • 25. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                                                          Christina, note that the DNG converter is free and you can download the latest version from here:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_4.5
                                                          • 26. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Jim, thanks for your comments about CS4 release

The DNG convertor seems to be working just fine, but I'm strongly considering upgrade to CS3, because for example I don't seem to have much success with Unsharpening in CS2 and Curves seems really slow to react to attempts to do a "adjust" an image.
                                                            If I switch to CS3 I know I will at least eliminate the DNG step, but I wonder, will I find any specific "tool(s)" easier to use in CS3?
                                                            And do you have any suggestions about making this change, I plan to do a trial download (if possible)first. Windows XP is my OS. I do not do a lot of extensive work within CS2.
                                                            • 27. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                              There are many changes in CS3 that I think you will find very useful. Among the changes are the following, but please take note that this is by no means intended be a complete list.

In Camera Raw:
                                                              You have a clarity adjustment that helps significantly with sharpening the image.
                                                              The curve adjustment has a parametric and point curve adjustment.
                                                              You have hue/saturation/luminance sliders for several colors.
                                                              The sharpening controls have been greatly improved.
                                                              Grayscale adjustment and split toning.

Now, with ACR 4.5 and the new profiles and profile editor, you have the capability of creating profiles for your camera and for different lighting situations. The final release of 4.5 is new as of this week. And there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. You need to take some time to read the tutorials to understand just how much additional power and flexibility has been added.

Frankly, Camera Raw has changed so dramatically that it feels like going back to the stone age to try to use ACR/Photoshop CS2.

As far as Photoshop itself is concerned, there are a lot of new features as well as improvements to older features. For instance, the Photomerge it sure has been completely redesigned is much more effective than it has been in previous versions.
                                                              • 28. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Jim:
                                                                Thanks, I'm sure I was going there and your comments were important to me.
                                                                Are there sufficient instuctions to download a trial, or are there any steps in particular I should/have to do, for instance does my Gateway have enogh "power"...you can tell I know alot about this! :)
                                                                Thanks,
                                                                Walt
                                                                • 29. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                  I have never downloaded a trial version of Photoshop. But I have downloaded the Lightroom trial, and it's a very straightforward process. Just download the file to your desktop, close your Internet browser and double-click on the file that you downloaded. The installation should complete automatically.

Be aware, however, that it will be necessary for you to download and install the latest version of Camera Raw. You might decide that you don't want to do that, but let me assure you that you do. There have been controls added to Camera Raw since Photoshop CS3 was released.

I have an older Dell desktop computer, 1.6 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and Photoshop runs fairly well on it, although it is a little sluggish. I'm hoping to have a newer (although not brand new) computer sometime in the next few weeks. Double check the system requirements on the download page to see if your system meets the minimum requirements.
                                                                  • 30. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Jim:
                                                                    I have been able to dwld both CS3 and new version Camera Raw 4(5?).
                                                                    I was then able to open CS3.
                                                                    Can you help me with a few questions, if not pls. re-direct me. Thanks.
                                                                    1. Although I could get to bridge in CS3, when I double clicked on the image I wanted to "view", nothing happen??? I closed CS3.
                                                                    2. When I opened CS3 the 2nd time, I could not go to bridge, I doubled clicked on the icon, but it did nothing??
                                                                    3. CR2 images already in My Pictures, will still not open even with CS3, will CS3 open any new CR2 images from my Canon 40D now that I have CS3??? I hope so because that is the main reason I upgraded to CS3.
                                                                    3.Is there a process I can use within CS3 to downdld. my CF raw images.
                                                                    Currently I am having to use Canons Zoom Browser to open dwnld. my CF images. Using Windows XP Thanks Walt
                                                                    • 31. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                      Walt,

I will answer your questions to the best of my ability. But hopefully others who are better at this than I am will offer their help as well. So, here goes.

1. Everyone has their preferred method of using Bridge. In the Photoshop preferences I have not checked the box to have bridge start automatically. Although I use Bridge most of the time, there are occasions when I don't want to use it. So I prefer to start my Photoshop session by starting Bridge first, and then double-click on an image in Bridge to have it opened in Photoshop. In the Bridge preferences, I have checked the "Double-Click Edits Camera Raw Settings in Bridge", and I like working that way.

2. I have seen several people comment about having this problem. And occasionally it will develop after you have been using Bridge/Photoshop for a while. The only thing I can suggest is for you to hold down the Ctrl key while you start Bridge. A dialogue will appear that will allow you to reset your preferences. There are three options and you should choose all three. I know, you haven't had it installed very long, but this "could" be the problem. One guy I talked with said that he had to do it several times before it fixed the problem.

3. You indicated that you downloaded Camera Raw 4(5). What does that mean? Did you download version 4.5, which is the latest version? And, did you follow the installation instructions that were on the download page? The new plug-in must be put in the exact directory specified, replacing the old version that is already there. The old version cannot be put in a sub folder. You might as well get rid of it. You don't need it anymore. And, again, it has to go into the specific folder designated in the instructions. After you have done that, in Photoshop goto Help/About Plug-ins and click on Camera Raw. It should only be listed once, and when you click on it you should get a dialogue that will tell you what version you have installed.

4. After I installed CS3, when I inserted a card into my card reader I was presented with the normal Windows options. One of the options I was given was to download using Bridge. I chose that option and indicated to always use that option. I haven't had any problems with it since. But if that option isn't there, you can open Bridge and click on the File menu. There is an option to download images from your camera. It has worked well for me.
                                                                      • 32. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        Jim:
                                                                        Thanks for taking time to answer, it's late where you are etc.
                                                                        I'll check out your suggestions andsee were I go, big storm here right now so want t get off this PC.
                                                                        Walt
                                                                        • 33. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          Jim:
                                                                          Sorry to report, I have been unsuccessful at being able to finish my CS3 and Camera Raw download/upgrade on both my Windows Xp systems reg. PC and one Laptop. In both cases it appears CS3 is downloaded but CS3 doesn't function properly in the PC or Laptop.
                                                                          For example; when I tried to open Bridge on my PC, I get a dialog box that directs me to upgared my Version Cue. This I was able to do at the Adobe site.
                                                                          Although I upgraded the Version Cue on my PC as directed to, each time I try to open Bridge I continue to get the same dialog box (upgrade Version Cue), before I can open Bridge, if click on "upgrade", in that dialog box Bridge will open for me, but I have to do this each time. By comparison, I do not have this problem on my Laptop, I click on Bridge and it opens.
                                                                          On both the PC and the laptop I have previously installed and used DNG.
                                                                          After installig CS3, I have dilgently tried to follow each step carefully to download the required Camera Raw 4.5 for CS3.
                                                                          On the PC I can see both DNG and Camera Raw icons when I go to RUN and open the appropriate "folder". However, when I click on HELP in the CS3 menu bar and go to About Plug-Ins, there is no listing for Camera Raw, the drop down list shows BMP and then Cineon,(plus others),but no Camera Raw?
                                                                          Although I have been able to use CS3 to dwnld my CF images fron my Canon 40D, CS3 will not open them on either my PC or my laptop. Other (30D) images open appropriately.
                                                                          Although I may be trying the wrong things I have made numerous numerous attempts to get this worked out on my own and I am mentally exhausted. I'm tempted to uninstall CS3 and start over.
                                                                          Which raises another question, should I uninstall CS2???
                                                                          Can you help me get this CS3 etc. problem resolved, or direct me to some one else for the support I need. Thank you
                                                                          Walt
                                                                          • 34. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                            annick vanderschelden Level 1
                                                                            Hello Jef,
                                                                            You convert the RAW files into DNG.
                                                                            RAW files are pure data.
                                                                            If you convert this in DNG, isn't there any loss of quality? And why?
                                                                            Regards,
                                                                            Annick
                                                                            • 35. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                              Walt,

I don't know if I have all the "right" answers for you. In the Bridge preferences, one of the sections is Startup Scripts. In that section try disabling Version Cue and see if that solves that problem.

As far as Camera Raw is concerned, if it doesn't show up on the plug-ins list then it isn't installed properly. Did you remove it from the ZIP file and put it in precisely the folder specified in the instructions? If that isn't where the plug-in is located it simply will not work. Let me know how things are going. In the meantime I will see if I can think of some other solutions.
                                                                              • 36. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                                annick,

The DNG file itself is just a container with a special header section where the metadata are stored. When you convert a raw image to the DNG format, the image data is copied into the new file without being modified at all. It is virtually the same image data.
                                                                                • 37. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                                  annick vanderschelden Level 1
                                                                                  Thanks Jim,
                                                                                  This container has the exact copy and you don't have to be afraid that you won't be able to open the file in the future as it is an archival format.
                                                                                  So far, so good.
                                                                                  However now there's a new DNG converter?
                                                                                  The standard you provide to the software and hardware developers is changing. So at the end it is possible that the DNG files generated by previous converter versions can't be read?
                                                                                  Regards,
                                                                                  Annick
                                                                                  • 38. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                                                    My understanding is that that will not be a problem. Adobe has committed to the DNG format. DNG of files created by the latest version of the Converter can be read by every version of Camera Raw since version 2.4. The new features that are being added cannot be read or utilized by the older versions. But you will always have as much control over your images that was afforded by your version of Camera Raw.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: CR2 files open from one camera, but not the other in CS2
                                                                                      Level 1
                                                                                      Jim: <br />I now can get CS# to open the way I think it should. But the camera raw is still a problem, I can go to Start&gt;Run and open the file and it clearly shows the DNG and CameraRaw icons. When I go to CS3 and click on ABOUT PLUG-Ins the drop down list does not include the word CAMERA RAW. ???&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<???<br /?> As far as loading exactly, I do not see any specific file listed that I SHOULD HAVE WIN zIP USE, i JUST sTART tHE dOWNLOAD FROM THE aDOBE SITE AND THEN wIN zIP TAKES OVER?
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next