9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2008 3:11 PM by (Chris_Noonan)

Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2

I have an iMac running OS 10.5 with Photoshop CS2... I am unable to open raw files produced on my Kodak pro14n camera. They are coded as ".DCR"files. I have been searching for days at the various adobe downloads/plug-ins sites and have downloaded several "Camera Raw" plugins, but still I can't open any raw files. I get the error--"Not the right type of document"..Wondering if someone knows of the appropriate plugin.or what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks..
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
          Wolf Eilers Level 4
          The latest ACR version for CS2 is 3.7 and can be downloaded here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3586

The Kodak DCS Pro 14n is listed as being supported in 3.7
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
            I am using photoshop CS2 and a Nikon D300, it will not open any RAW files, a screen appears saying that either the file is corrupt or photoshop cannot open the file. please help. Martin Montano
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              Martin,

There is no raw support for the D300 in Photoshop CS2. You will either have to upgrade to CS3, or else download the latest version of the DNG converter and convert your raw images to the digital negative format. Those DNG files can then be opened with Photoshop CS2 and ACR 3.7 (the last version of camera raw that was released for Photoshop CS2).

Just to emphasize, you want to the most recent version of the DNG converter. It will convert images from the most recent cameras that ACR/DNG Converter support.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
                I loaded Photoshop CS2 with no problem on my old laptop, it opened RAW files in all! No problem. This month I purchased a new Dell PC laptop and loaded my Photoshop CS2 software on it. The new laptop will not open ANY Raw files in Photoshop or in bridge. I have checked and there is a camera raw plug in in the program files but there is NO option of opening in camera raw in bridge etc. I cannot open any of my Raw files (CR2) anywhere in bride or Photoshop CS2.

Help!

Theresa
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
                  michael shaffer Level 1
                  > Help!

Most likely you installed Photoshop CS2, but it didn't come with the ACR version necessary to open your raw files. The most recent version for CS2 is ACR v3.7, which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3588

Alternatively, within the PS 'Help' menu is the capability for 'Updates'. You can try that first, but I believe you may first need to update the "updater". In any case, this method is easier than carefully reading the instructions on the ACR download page.
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
                    I am using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 camera and Adobe Photoshop CS2. When I try to open the raw files (*.raw) all that photoshop displays is a gray square. The jpg image displays just fine, but jpg is not what I bought the camera or Photoshop for. I have tried searching knowledge bases, fora, etc. but am unable to find a solution. Does anyone out there have any help???
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      [EDITED this post. Please see next one.]

Chris,

Support for that camera was added after CS2 had ceased to be supported by Adobe. That means that you will never be able to open the raw files from that camera directly in CS2.

You have two options:

* Either update to Photoshop CS3 so you can run the current version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in (ACR 4.4.1 or ACR 4.5beta, neither og which runs under Photoshop CS2); or

* download the latest free, stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter (version 4.4.1 or 4.5beta), to convert your files to raw DNG files that you can open in ACR 3.7 hosted by Photoshop CS2.
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                        Ooooooooooooooooooooops!

>Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18

I misread that as "Panasonic Lumix DMC- FZ8".

If that was not a typo and there is indeed a "Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18", then it may not yet be supported at all [unless there's unannounced, "unofficial" support for it in ACR/DNG Converter 4.4.1.]
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw Plug-in for CS2
                          Level 1
                          Thanks Ramon,
                          It is indeed an FZ-18, so I guess I'm sc^%&d. I appreciate the feedback.