13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 2:39 AM by (Bob_Laughton)

Healing brush

Hi folks - first post on here.

Having spent the best part of an hour using the healing brush on an image, I can't find any way of saving it as a setting? I applied it to a batch of synchronized pics, but I want to save it for the future - these dust spots don't move very far!

Am I missing something, or hasn't this one been thought of?

Mac OS Leopard on iMac and ACR 4.4.1 on CS3

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

Bob
        • 1. Re: Healing brush
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          It's automatically saved to the image metadata whenever you click the Done, Open, or Save buttons (just don't click Cancel).
          • 2. Re: Healing brush
            Level 1
            > I can't find any way of saving it as a setting?

You can't...and while it may seem like (for a series of images at least) it may make sense to make a preset, it isn't. It's way too image specific. The best bet is to do one image and sync to other images whose sensor spots may line up. Note, even then it will prolly take alignment adjustment...
            • 3. Re: Healing brush
              Level 1
              Thanks Jeff.

That is a real shame. I don't know who might have suggested it wasn't a good idea, but it certainly wasn't a busy photographer!

I understand what you say about being image-specific, but no more so than curve settings etc. which you would want to adapt on an ad-hoc basis. In fact, it's sensor-specific and many hundreds and even thousands of photos can and are taken by busy photographers before they get around to sensor cleaning.

I've done the "one image and sync to others" bit, but the "spot template" is only useful for that batch of synced images and then can't be saved for future use - what about the next batch and the ones after that? The dust spots will almost certainly still be there and in the same place. A quick check to see if anything has changed and away you go - currently, I can spend hours spotting and a save to setting feature would be a real godsend.

Cheers

Bob
              • 4. Re: Healing brush
                John Kjellberg Level 1
                >but the "spot template" is only useful for that batch of synced images and then can't be saved for future use - what about the next batch and the ones after that?

You could reuse one of the images to sync other series of pictures. Maybe keep one in a Dust Spot collection?
                • 5. Re: Healing brush
                  John Kjellberg Level 1
                  Oops! I thought I was in Lightroom forums. No collections in ACR. But you could still keep an image for reuse.
                  • 6. Re: Healing brush
                    MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                    The main issue is the source material. The current heal tool has a source and destination. The destination is the blob you want to fix (e.g., dust). The source is where to get the good stuff from. While it's likely the destination is the same across a bunch of images (for dust), it's unlikely the source area would be useful from image to image. To make this effective the spot tool would need to be able to guess a good source location automatically.
                    • 7. Re: Healing brush
                      Level 1
                      That's a good point Eric - and it's why I assume that spotting isn't a candidate for a saved preset. However, whilst it isn't quite as clever as me when choosing its source, it makes a pretty good job of it - and in reality it's usually the adjacent pixels anyway.

As an example, I've spent the day working on 100 studio shots for a catalogue and the healing brush has saved me hours by doing one shot and syncing it to others. I still have to check when I have them open in PShop for any mismatches, but it's minimal time compared to before. I've just moved up to CS3 from CS, so big learning-curve for me.

The annoying thing is that the spots will be in the same places tomorrow, but I'll have to go through it all again on one of the images and sync again.

Anyway, interesting topic (to me at least) and I'm astounded that no-one has yet suggested that I clean the bloody sensor!
                      • 8. Re: Healing brush
                        Level 1
                        >The annoying thing is that the spots will be in the same places tomorrow, but I'll have to go through it all again on one of the images and sync again.

You know you can take one of today's shots that HAVE been spotted and sync it to the shots done tomorrow, right?
                        • 9. Re: Healing brush
                          Panoholic Level 2
                          >The annoying thing is that the spots will be in the same places tomorrow, but I'll have to go through it all again on one of the images and sync again

Well, don't you intend to clean the sensor ever?
                          • 10. Re: Healing brush
                            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                            G Sch beat me to it. Clean your camera's sensor.
                            • 11. Re: Healing brush
                              Level 1
                              "You know you can take one of today's shots that HAVE been spotted and sync it to the shots done tomorrow, right?"

No I didn't Jeff - do you have a quick way of telling me please, or can I look it up somewhere?

And G Sch and Ramon - you took your time LOL
                              • 12. Re: Healing brush
                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                One method of doing this is to load one of your already edited images along with your new images into ACR. In the film strip in ACR, make sure all the images are selected and that the image from the previous shoot has focus. In other words, it's the one in the main preview/editing display. Then, synchronize the images, and choose which settings you want synchronized.

You could even do the whole thing in Bridge. Copy the settings from the edited image, and paste them to the new images. Just choose which settings you want to have copied.
                                • 13. Re: Healing brush
                                  Level 1
                                  Thanks very much Jim - this sounds like the way to go for me and I'll give it a try this weekend.

Many thanks

Bob