13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2008 9:18 AM by Ian Lyons

Camera Raw 4.5 final release?

01af Level 1
      Now it's been four weeks since Camera Raw 4.5 Release Candidate (ACR 4.5.0.161) was brought to us via Adobe Labs. Does anyone have any issues with it? I don't. Does anyone have an idea when the final release is supposed to arrive? I feel a four-week testing period is more than adequate for a tentative version that's supposed to be a "Release Candidate" (however the plug-in calls itself "4.5 Beta" ... go figure).

Another Camera Raw version most likely will be due in October, to support all the new digital cameras and backs that (hopefully) will get introduced at Photokina in September. I wonder if that's going to be ACR 4.6 ... or will ACR 4.5 "Grand Master" (which means "final release" in Adobe speak) be deferred until then?

-- Olaf
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
          Level 1
          > I wonder if that's going to be ACR 4.6 ... or will ACR 4.5 "Grand Master" (which means "final release" in Adobe speak) be deferred until then?

Fortunately, it's not your job to worry about it, is it? If you are unhappy that Adobe decided to let you test out Camera Raw 4.5 RC in Photoshop CS3 and also help process Lightroom 2.0 files, then you are certainly welcome to remove it from your system until the final version of 4.5 is released...you are under no obligation to use it if you don't want to.

As for the final release, I suspect you are not going to be privy to the timing and decision making of Adobe, so, you'll just have to wait, huh? Hey, it's nice out, go shoot something...
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
            01af Level 1
            Jeff Schewe wrote:
            > Fortunately, it's not your job
            > to worry about it, is it?

Fortunately not, indeed.

Jeff further wrote:
            > If you are unhappy [...] you are under
            > no obligation to use it if you don't want to.

Huh? The conclusions you're drawing from my thinking aloud are, umm ... strange, to say the least. If you feel my inquiry was inappropriate and/or pointless then your reply also is.

Actually, I am quite happy with ACR 4.5RC, and furthermore I didn't hear anybody else reporting any problems. And that's exactly why I'm wondering why the final release isn't out yet. I guess I'd be less wondering if this tentative version had been announced and communicated as Beta rather than as Release Candidate. Anyway ... I'm just curious. It does not mean I was unhappy in any way.

Jeff further wrote:
            > ... so, you'll just have to wait, huh?

Yes, obviously.

Jeff further wrote:
            > Hey, it's nice out, go shoot something ...

Glad to hear it's nice on your side of the Big Pond, too.

-- Olaf
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
              Yammer Level 4
              I've had no problems with it, as far as I'm aware.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                Bill_Janes Level 2
                > Jeff Schewe wrote:

> Fortunately, it's not your job to worry about it, is it?

>Jeff further wrote:

> As for the final release, I suspect you are not going to be privy to the timing and decision making of Adobe, so, you'll just have to wait, huh? Hey, it's nice out, go shoot something.

A typical Jeff Schewe response--nasty and sarcastic without any provocation. Also self-aggrandising. Us more mortals are not privy to inside information at Adobe, but he is. Smirk.
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                  Level 1
                  >A typical Jeff Schewe response--nasty and sarcastic without any provocation. Also self-aggrandising. Us more mortals are not privy to inside information at Adobe, but he is. Smirk.

And...your response was useful how?

Look, the guy is asking for stuff he ain't gonna get...Adobe (outside of hints dropped by Thomas) simply won't answer these kinda questions...so, it would be useful if people didn't clutter the forum asking....'cause they really shouldn't expect any answers...
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                    John Joslin Level 6
                    But we're all dying to see that 4.5 shining out at the top of the ACR window and are always grateful for any morsels of hope thrown out by the people on the top table.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                      What I find amusing is that, in most instances, there won't be any differences to detect from the beta version. I have been using the beta version and have had no problems with it. But I guess there are some who just have to get the latest version just because it's there. It's not even worth worrying about. When it's ready it will be ready. And until then either use the beta or 4.4.1. It's not like you're going to have anything earth shakingly different in the new one.
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                        The " beta" works just fine.
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                          Hi Olaf,

We're currently polishing up 4.5. It's in very good shape but please don't expect it to be finalized tomorrow. ;-) You can bet an official announcement will be posted here when it's ready.

Eric
                          • 10. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                            William Baer
                            My Dad used to say that one could catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Not everyone had the advantage of learning from him. Clearly.
                            • 11. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                              Level 1
                              And Jeff shouldn't be lecturing others about cluttering forums with
                              worthless posts. The best thing for people to do with these kinds of posts
                              (posts they can't answer, no matter the reason) is to simply not respond.
                              That is what a grown up would do.

Robert
                              • 12. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                                Level 1
                                >That is what a grown up would do.

Pot calling the kettle black?

:~)
                                • 13. Re: Camera Raw 4.5 final release?
                                  Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                  This thread has been set to Read Only

IanLyons
                                  Forum Host