12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2008 6:19 PM by (Malcolm_McKay)

Olympus Settings in ACR

JayOly
      Hi Everyone;
      I'm an Olympus user. I've done a number of comparisons of ACR against competing Raw converters. Olympus Master or Studio which both have the same internal conversion engine and is similar to the in camera performance sharpens the photograph and also increases saturation and contrast. Some of the pictures look quite good through Olympus software others not so. What I'd like to know is has anyone researched the settings in ACR that duplicate the results from Olympus software (or the camera itself when using the in camera conversion)? I'd was thinking it might be interesting to use them as a starting point for edits in ACR.
      Thanks
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          Hi Jim, you may want to try using the new DNG Profile Editor if you're looking to mimic the in-camera look:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles
          • 2. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
            JayOly Level 1
            Thanks Eric!
            This gives me a great start!
            Jim
            • 3. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
              JayOly Level 1
              Hi Eric;
              I downloaded a copy of ACR 4.5 and installed the Standard Camera profiles. I think I saw your name as one of the software team members. There is a very noticeable difference between 4.4 profiles and the Standard Camera betas. A very nice and pleasing difference. This helps a great deal (IMHO) in replicating the Olympus colour without the over the sharpening (to my tastes anyway) that seems to be the default for the Olympus conversion engines in the camera (e510) and the software Master 2.04 or Studio or, when using ACR using trail and error to approximate some of the good points of the Olympus conversion. The Standard beta for the e510 seems to be at first blush a great starting point for what I'd like to do with the ORF RAW's. I may tweak the Standard with the PE software but you've come very close to my tastes the way it is and what corrections I'd make in general are quite small from that starting point.
              Keep up the good work! Kudos
              Thanks
              Jim
              • 4. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                No problem. Thanks for the feedback, Jim.
                • 5. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                  Hello,

Here is my problem: Bridge is unable to recognize RAW files from my Olympus E-510 when I open Files/Get Photos from Camera
                  I get JPEG and all of the other options of Camera Raw seem to function OK.
                  I am new to CS3, but I believe that I have installed the latest updates, etc. I am using Vista. Thanks in advance for help!
                  • 6. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                    Level 1
                    >I am new to CS3, but I believe that I have installed the latest updates, etc. I am using Vista.

Exactly WHERE did you install the Camera Raw 4.5 update? After installing it, did you purge the cache for the folder with those raws?
                    • 7. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                      Level 1
                      I followed the 4.5 installation instructions: towit, Programs/CommonFiles/Adobe/CS3/Plugins.

I am not sure what you mean about purging the cache.
                      • 8. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                        Level 1
                        > I am using Vista.

Uh, no...from the Camera Raw 4.5 READ ME...
                        "Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi" is the ONLY correct install location...Camera Raw is a dual-use plug-in for both Photoshop and Bridge. If it is NOT located in the above location, then Bridge can't use it. So, you did not install it in the correct location...
                        • 9. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                          Level 1
                          Upon checking I did install the CameraRaw.8bi file to the correct directory. The downloader opens & correctly recognizes my camera, but I get the message "This device does not contain any supported media".

JPEG images are accessed without error.
                          • 10. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                            Level 1
                            > "This device does not contain any supported media".

Don't try to connect a camera directly (until you know how to set it as a storage device), use a card reader. This is a notorious problem on Windows and you will be able to download images a _LOT_ faster using a good USB 2 card reader than a really slow camera connection.
                            • 11. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                              Level 1
                              I found out something interesting, although I'm not quite sure I understand what it means. I took my Olympus C7070ZW and shot a couple of raw images and was able to upload them to bridge & convert them to DNG files (using a card reader & not straight from the camera) so I know that the Camera Raw converter is working, so it must be something to do with my E-510! I'm using the latest CameraRaw 4.5 where the 510 is listed as supported. What's up with that?
                              • 12. Re: Olympus Settings in ACR
                                Level 1
                                OK, I got it! It seems I didn't have the correct DNG camera profiles installed. Once I did that I was able to download my *.ORF files. Thanks for the help. Regards, Craig