8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2008 11:11 AM by MadManChan2000

DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem

rasworth Level 1
      Either it's a major UI blunder or I don't understand what I'm doing, which is very possible.

Per tutorial 3, I use an image of the cc shot at something approaching 6500K. Convert to DNG, fire up DNG PE, set base profile to Adobe Standard Beta 1 (for D300), set the color table to 6500, and load up the CC image and white balance. Now I click on each of the 18 color patches (not using wizard) and export the profile.

My expectation is now I have a new base profile that's been customized at the 6500 end but left alone at the 2850 end. However, I didn't notice that "Edit Both Color Tables Simultaneously" was checked in the option menu, so the exported profile has had both tables modified, which makes no sense. Please get rid of the option line and add a third choice to Color Table, or something less confusing than the present approach, or am I mis-understanding what is going on.

Richard Southworth
        • 1. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
          rasworth Level 1
          Oops! I just realized I didn't change anything in the profile, since I didn't change any of the color samples.

However, my original criticism of the UI still holds, one has to remember to un-check the option if the intent is to create a recipe that affects one table only.

Richard Southworth
          • 2. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
            Thanks for the feedback, Richard.
            • 3. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
              rasworth Level 1
              Eric,

One last question and I promise to lay off (for a while).

My goal is to modify one of your profiles, say the Adobe Standard Beta 1, for my camera by tweaking only the 6500 section. I created an image of the CC at something near 6500K, converted it to DNG, then brought it into PE. I unchecked "Modify Both Color Tables Simultaneously", set the Color Table to 6500, and ran the wizard. I then changed the base profile from Color Checker to Adobe Standard Beta 1 and exported a new profile.

Have I successfully tweaked the 6500 end of the Adobe profile, or am I fooling myself? I compared the exported profile with the Adobe Standard Beta 1 on several images, and could see some slight but distinct differences, particularly in the blues.

Thanks again,

Richard Southworth
              • 4. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
                rasworth Level 1
                I should add, I can see shifts on daylight images between my modified profile based upon the Adobe, and the Adobe profile itself. However, I shot the cc under tungsten, and there was no discernable difference.

So I did succeed in creating a profile modifed at the 6500 end but not at the 2850. The question is did I do something useful, i.e. tweak the Adobe Standard Beta 1 to be slightly more "accurate" for my camera at 6500?

Richard Southworth
                • 5. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
                  Richard, the "edit both tables simultaneously" feature only applies to manually making adjustments. You don't need to check/uncheck this when using the chart wizard. The table(s) affected by the chart wizard are determined only by the popup in the chart wizard tab.

Yes, you did tweak the 6500 end of the profile, as you found in practice.

But if you're really after colorimetric accuracy, and that's your aim in using the chart wizard, you should be using the ColorChecker base profile instead of switching back to Adobe Standard beta 1.
                  • 6. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
                    michael shaffer Level 1
                    > But if you're really after colorimetric accuracy, and that's your aim in using the chart wizard, you should be using the ColorChecker base profile instead of switching back to Adobe Standard beta 1

"ColorChecker" does not appear in my list of 'Base profiles'(?)

Also -- is choosing a specific camera profile (eg, the file "Olympus E-3 Adobe Standard beta 1.dcp" installed with DNG PE) the same as choosing "Adobe Standard beta 1"?
                    • 7. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
                      rasworth Level 1
                      Eric,

Thanks for the help, I finally got my head around this thing, and understand the difference between relative changes per the normal table editing and absolute using the wizard.

One more question - what is the base profile represented as ColorChecker? In other words, if I run the wizard and move all of the sliders back to zero and export a profile, which is it?

Richard Southworth
                      • 8. Re: DNG Profile Editor User Interface problem
                        Michael, the ColorChecker base profile will only appear if you use the Chart Wizard feature (and it confirms successful operation). For your second question: yes.

Richard, you would effectively get the same results as the "ACR 4.4" profile for your camera (which only contains matrices, no lookup tables).