6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2008 4:23 AM by MadManChan2000

Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor

Level 1
      I tried to tweak the Adobe Standard Beta for Nikon Coolpix 8700 profile to match the look of TIFF output of the same image from Capture NX. Though I could manage to get a perfect match of the colors (by way of around ten points in the green to red range), When I looked at the file so rendered at 100% there were significant posterisation and abrupt tonal changes which were very difficult to eliminate. Any similar experiences and suggestions / comments.
      I am using Win XP Pro SP2 on a Intel Core2 3GHz. and G33 motherboard with its onboard Graphics card.
        • 1. Re: Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          You are probably stretching two neighboring colors too far apart in different directions. If you could email me your dng and recipe (.dcpr) file via madmanchan2000@yahoo.com I'll take a look.
          • 2. Re: Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor
            dorin_nicolaescu Level 5
            > When I looked at the file so rendered at 100% there were significant posterisation and abrupt tonal changes which were very difficult to eliminate. Any similar experiences and suggestions / comments.

Like this? http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5ffe7/0?14@@

I've sent my sample raw file to Eric. Hope it will help him to improve the profiles.
            • 3. Re: Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor
              Level 1
              Yes something like that. I too have sent the relevant files as requested. I really wish you success Eric, I was waiting for a tool like this for long, But in the present form, it seems too simple to be true.
              Anurag
              • 4. Re: Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor
                No, the issue from the OP is completely separate from Dorin's issue.

Anurag, the problem is that you have lots of color control points placed very close together but some of them are pointing in opposite directions. It's like taking two points on a tone curve right next to each other and pushing one up way up and the other one way down -- posterization is inevitable. Many of your color control points are redundant and you will achieve smoother results with fewer specified. And be sure not to yank two neighboring control points in opposite directions ...
                • 5. Re: Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor
                  Level 1
                  Hi Eeric, Having so many control points was in a effort to match the profile to the output of Capture NX, so that I could integrate all my workflow into Photoshop. I could not do without the use of as many control points because as you could see, so many hues of green were off. we should find a way around this problem. either like developing a set methodology of aproaching color adjustment or something else. I also suggest having a "Color Curve" probably something on the lines of the tone curve with input and output values of Hue.
                  I feel that there should also be a way to adjust the color range that each color control point can influence. That way there will not be a need to put too many control points close together.
                  Anurag
                  • 6. Re: Posterisation issues with DNG Profiles Editor
                    You really should not need so many control points placed so closely together. A control point does not only influence the color it's sitting on, but also the colors around it. The extent is implicitly determined by the set of control points you've specified. The fewer control points you have, the broader the extent of each one. Use the 'Show Affected Colors' option in the Options menu to get a visualization of the extent of each one.