11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 10:37 PM by John Joslin

Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?

I updated to CR 4.5 on my new Mac 17 inch powerbook, and now the custom settings choice uder the basic pull down menu no longer seems to do anything. It used to update from the previous change I had done in the open camera raw window. Now I would need to close the window, reopen and use the previous conversion under the basic pull down menu. It has slowed my workflow dramatically. I can't find anything in preferences. Anybody have any ideas? J.
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          When you open an image in CR, it will initially show you Image Settings. If you then make any parameter changes in this session, they will be attributed to Custom Settings. So going back and forth between Image Settings and Custom Settings, for instance, will show you before/after.

Are you saying that this is not the behavior you're seeing?
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
            Level 1
            I have worked in camera raw for years. The behavior I am seeing is inconsistent to anything before. A new image will show up initially with camera raw defaults as its setting. making a change will alter to custom settings. Moving down or up to a new image will again show you camera raw defaults or image settings if you have previously made a change. If you move to custom settings in the basic drop down menu nothing happens. Previously, this would alter the file to the last image settings you had changed. Now I get a big fat nothing. Which will force me to use another program, as the workflow is too slow. This occurred for me after the update to 4.5 on a new mac laptop. My tower behaves correctly as I have not let the update occur.......
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
              michael shaffer Level 1
              > A new image will show up initially with camera raw defaults as its setting. making a change will alter to custom settings.

Yes ... ok so far ...

> If you move to custom settings in the basic drop down menu nothing happens.

... again, ok so far ...

> Previously, this would alter the file to the last image settings you had changed.

I don't remember CR ever doing this. Why would CR "assume" anything (other than the defaults) for a new image selected?

> Which will force me to use another program, as the workflow is too slow.

I don't understand how CR's intended method for "assuming" settings from another image (ie , synchronization), is any slower than what you're describing. In fact, if the images were many your method would be slower.

I won't deny what you're seeing as apparent behaviour of CR on your computer, but I fail to understand how what you describe is better than CR's intended behaviour(?) I suppose choosing 'custom' could assume something, and the last edit is as good as any - but even so, doing this one-at-a-time for subsequent images has got to be slower than synchronizing.

my CA$0.02 :)
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                > Moving down or up to a new image will again show you
                > camera raw defaults or image settings if you have
                > previously made a change. If you move to custom
                > settings in the basic drop down menu nothing happens.

No, that's not the behavior I'm seeing.

If you have previously made a change to one of the open images, within a given session, the flyout shows "Custom Settings", not "Image Settings." Going between Image Settings and Custom Settings shows you before/after (with the "before" state being any image settings at the time the editing session began, and the "after" state being the current (changed) settings).

Perhaps I'm not understanding your issue here and you can clarify.
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                  I am having exactly the same problem and it's also hugely slowed down my workflow. did you manage to solve the problem and get "custom settings" to work again?
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                    Thomas Knoll Level 2
                    This is a bug fix in 4.5. This was never designed to work that way.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                      dgrits

IF its a bug, why was it SO perfect...? I have kept the old version of ACR through all the updates just because it allows this to happen. Now, considering CS4, if I can't have this option, CS4 is unfit for use.

How am I supposed to adjust 100 RAW files in a batch without this feature...?

If you expect it to happen one at a time, you have lost a sale. I'll stay with CS3 and the old ACR (4.4.1, to be exact)

• 8. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

dgrits,

I have to admit I don't follow your post at all, nor what it is you're objecting to.

Batch-adjusting hundreds of images in ACR 5.4 is no problem at all in CS4.

• 10. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                          dgrits Level 1

Ramon...

The issue was the removal of the Custom Settings function that was declared 'a bug' and removed in all ACR versions since 4.4.1. (Adjust one pic, select one or more, then click Custom Settings to transfer all the settings to the selected photos). You answered the problem in the other post where you enlightened me to the Synchronize button... Slightly different than I was accustomed to, but a functional approach to batch processing...!

Thank you for your assistance, and the link to that book, also! You have been most helpful, and I really appreciate it!

Dan

• 11. Re: Camera Raw custom settings issue on 4.5?
                            John Joslin Level 6

Hey Dan, apart from aesthetic considerations (which are unimportant in a forum environment), that bloody Comic Sans typeface is practically unreadable!