22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2008 11:03 AM by Neil_Keller RSS

CS4 Mac system requirements

I have two conflicting answers and I need the right one.

The CS4 Master Collection, system requirements say Multicore Intel Processors

Will it run on a G5 Dual Core with a PPC processor or will it run ONLY on a Dual or Quad Core (MAC PRO)

plz advize

rdeter
        • 1. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
          Community Member
          Most of it will run on a G5 a few of the apps are intel only.

Photoshop, ID, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Acrobat will all run on the G5. I'm sure someone will be along to tell you which apps are Intel only.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
            Community Member
            Yes, please can someone update this question for me.

I need to use the following apps from the CS4 master Collection

Dreamweaver
            Photoshop
            Illustrator
            Flash

what is the MINIMUM system requirements to run the above apps from the CS4 MASTER COLLECTION

I have a G4 Powerbook 1.5 and a G5 2.0 dual
            • 3. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
              Community Member
              Didn't read post one carefully did you?
              • 4. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                Neil_Keller Community Member
                dag,

It's easy enough to check the minimum system specs at Adobe.com for each product or suite.

Neil
                • 5. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                  Community Member
                  Reason I ask this is if you buy the CS4 Web design or Premium it will run on a pre Intel and I wanted to know if the same items will run in a pre Intel on the CS4 Master.

rr
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                    Community Member
                    they don't rewrite apps just to put them in the Master Collection.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                      Community Member
                      Listen! I don't mean to come off nasty but if you opened your eyes and took a look at the CS4 products you WILL see that certain apps work in pre Intel Macs . I'm looking at the list right now.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/systemreqs/?promoid=DRHWS

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs/?promoid=DRHXB

http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/systemreqs/?promoid=DRHWV

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshopextended/systemreqs/?promoid=DRHXHand

if you look at the Web design Premium and a few other Suites underneath the master suite they all run on PPC G5 pre Intel

Now my question again, is it possible to run the CS4 Master Suite on A pre Intel Mac? I do not need any other apps except to run except

Photoshop
                      Flash
                      Dreamweaver
                      and
                      Illustrator.

To be even more specific, If I took the CS4 Web Design Suite (which loads and runs on pre Intels - Loaded Dreamweaver CS4 and then for argument sake took a Master Suite copy of Flash CS4 and tried to load it (remember it says no pre intel macs) Will it work?

Do you understand my question? Reason I ask is I have someone that has the CS4 master Suite that is willing to give it to me for way cheaper than new. So if I could take advantage and save about 800.00 I would like to.

Sorry for the angry tone but it costs a small fortune to be right on the learning curve.
                      rd
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                        BobLevine UGM-MVPs
                        You need an Intel Mac to run those programs that require it, the rest
                        should install and run just fine. Make sure you deselect them before
                        installing.

IIRC, they will try to install.

Bob
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                          Community Member
                          Sorry you are so uppity as well as dense. I answered your question in post one I don't know how much clearer I can get. If you can't figure it out after reading post one then you shouldn't be using the software.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                            dag,

What is so difficult about simply checking the system specs from Adobe.com? For any of us to answer the question, we'd pretty much be doing the same.

===

Bob,

On pre-intel systems, the installer simply does not install Intel-only apps in the Suites. It's pretty foolproof.

Neil
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                              dag,

What is so difficult about simply checking the system specs for each app from Adobe.com? For any of us to answer your question, we'd pretty much be doing the same.

===

Bob,

On pre-intel systems, the installer simply does not install Intel-only apps in the Suites. It's pretty foolproof.

Neil
                              • 12. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                dag,

Or if you still have questions, simply call Adobe customer service: 1-800-833-6687 in the States.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                  dag,
                                  >took a Master Suite copy of Flash CS4 and tried to load it (remember it says no pre intel macs)

Nonsense! In your own link I see: PowerPC® G5 or multicore Intel® processor
                                  >I have someone that has the CS4 master Suite that is willing to give it to me for way cheaper than new. So if I could take advantage and save about 800.00 I would like to.

In my opinion, either the person is nuts or it is pirated (illegal) software. Beware!

Neil
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                    dag,
                                    >took a Master Suite copy of Flash CS4 and tried to load it (remember it says no pre intel macs)

Nonsense! In your own link I see: PowerPC® G5 or multicore Intel® processor
                                    >I have someone that has the CS4 master Suite that is willing to give it to me for way cheaper than new. So if I could take advantage and save about 800.00 I would like to.

In my opinion, either the person is nuts or it is pirated (illegal) or stolen software. Beware!
                                    > I do not need any other apps except to run except Photoshop Flash Dreamweaver and Illustrator.

Also, if that is all you want, WHY are you even bothering with the Master collection? Is there something else going on here?

Neil
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                      Community Member
                                      Guys, sorry for the tone and confusion, it was a bit frustrating to read different specs on certain apps. I did find out that you can use Flash, Photoshop, DWeaver and Illustrator CS4 on a pre Intel Mac seperately, no problem. You can also use the CS4 Web Premium and Design Premium on the same pre Intels. But it does say you can only use an Intel Mac for the Master Suite. I guess there is a reason for this and it's just a little weird as the pre Intel G5's have quad cores and the mac Pros have the Intels but only way to see is to try it myself as if I was not so mad at the time I could have simply downloaded a trial and found out that way.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                        dag,

As explained previously, SOME of the apps in the MC are Intel only. Minimum system requirements consider ALL of the apps included -- pretty much the reason for buying the entire collection -- meaning you need an Intel machine. For those apps included that can run on PowerPCs, they can be installed on your PowerPC G5.

My previous questions and concerns stand. Again and ask yourself why you are even bothering with the Master Collection if you only need four apps out of the entire package? And consider any source that is willing to discount it $800 as highly suspect.

Neil
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                          Community Member
                                          I understand and have to see the CS4 the person speaks of. If it is not an Adobe Disk in an Adobe box totally legit it is not worth it.

thanks

rded
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                            try67 ACP/MVPs
                                            That can be easily faked. Ask them to show you that their product is registered on Adobe.com. Anyway, you (and the seller) will need to fill out a Transfer of License form for the suite to legally belong to you.
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                              Contact Adobe by phone and ask if the serial number can be registered by you, either directly or by license transfer -- before buying.

Neil
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                                about the installer and system requirements for CS4... Still haven't found the requirements. One of my users installed CS4 Master Collection on a Dual G5 and found that the after effects would only install on a intel machine. Next she installed the aftereffects from CS3 and it all went boom! Now should I try the uninstall CS4, Delete everything CS4 / CS3 and run the CS3 clean script; or get my OS X DVD and do a clean install and start over.... The clean install is my choice..
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                                  Community Member
                                                  A clean install can't ever hurt.

as far as CS 3 install all CS3 apps you need before installing CS4
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 Mac system requirements
                                                    Andy,

As Buko says.

BTW, in a software installation as extended and complex as the Master Collection, reading the ReadMe files and system requirements carefully by your user beforehand could have saved some grief and misunderstanding here.

You can try a proper uninstall of all CS3 and CS4 stuff. But it might be easier to start from scratch as we don't know what else might have been messed up by your user. Be sure to run Disk Utility and DiskWarrior maintenance as well before and after the installation. And be sure to back up any files that have been created.

Neil