25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 12:55 PM by jax_9898 RSS

Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)

I bought Adobe Creative Suite 4 (Design Premium) in mid November 2008. After installing and entering the serial number, all was well until this morning.

Now when I try to launch any CS4 application I am given the pop up:

License Expired
      Licensing for this product has expired

I corrected permissions and re-started. No change.

I tried the License Recovery Launcher to reset my serial number. No change.

Restarted, tried LRL again. No change.

Called Customer Service in India, after 12 minutes on hold cueing, and a further 18 minutes explaining the situation to the technical service rep, including a really painful ESL lesson over and over again. I was told "You need to speak with our Mac expert", another 20 minutes on hold and I gave up. They wore me down!

Searched for a solution using Google. None found.

Should I un-install CS4? Is this the solution?

Any ideas?

This is my first Adobe purchase and I am less than impressed, I thought dealing with Dell Hell CS in India was terrible. Adobe needs to look at their CS experience, copy Apple and we are all happy at least in my 12 years using Apple products.

So, solutions....suggestions?

Cheers.
        • 1. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
          BobLevine UGM-MVPs
          Does this help:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

Bob
          • 2. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
            Community Member
            Thanks for the effort Bob,

I did try the link and LicenseRecovery script, six times, rebooting, etc. I believe the LR script is for The Licensing Repair tool should be run if the error Licensing for this product has stopped working is preventing an Adobe application from launching. As my ERROR POP-UP IS "License Expired...", it is different I guess.

With the amount I charge clients per day for my design and media skills, Adobe needs to be better than this, the customer service is brutal. I have lost a day of work dealing with this BS. I also have taken the step of un-installing CS4 and reinstalling. The same pop-up telling me of the expired license comes up. Here is the run around I get when trying to use the LR script:

sudo python '/Volumes/LicenseRecovery/'LicenseRecover.py
            Last login: Wed Jan 21 13:59:00 on console
            Mizu:~ dazza$ sudo python '/Volumes/LicenseRecovery/'LicenseRecover.py
            Password:

=======================================
            Trusted Storage Recovery Script v1.0.9
            =======================================

Please choose a language:

e: English
            j: Japanese (日本語)

>: e

DISCLAIMER:

WARNING: Run at your own risk and make sure that ALL Adobe
            products are closed and not running before you proceed further.

This tool has been developed to upgrade the licensing service
            and repair a license file for Adobe Acrobat 8 and 9, and
            Creative Suite 3 and 4 products.

Do you wish to cancel at this time so you can close any
            open applications? [y/n]: n

** If you are ready to run the repair, then press
            the "enter/return" key now.

** If you have already run the repair once, but it didn't work,
            then reboot and run the repair again (files may have been locked).

** If you have run the repair after rebooting and it still didn't
            work, then reboot and when you get to this screen, enter 0.

(If the steps above did not work, and licensing continues to fail,
            then please contact customer support.)

Note: This may take a few moments.

?
            Processing ...

No matching processes were found
            Shutting down licensing service ..

Installing anchor service from ./mac_install_lima/FNPLicensingService/FNPLicensingService to /Library/Application Support/FLEXnet Publisher/Service/11.5.0
            Installing anchor service from ./mac_install_lucknow/FNPLicensingService/FNPLicensingService to /Library/Application Support/FLEXnet Publisher/Service/11.03.005

* Trusted Storage files were backed up successfully!
            * Trusted storage was successfuly recovered!

* License files copied to "/Users/dazza/AdobeLicensingFilesBackup"

The upgrade and repair are complete. Please attempt to
            run your Adobe product again. If the problem persists,
            you can run this tool again selecting the delete
            license option (pressing '0' when prompted),
            or call Adobe customer support.

Completed, press "enter/return" to exit:
            • 3. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
              Neil_Keller Community Member
              this,

Have you tried logging onto your system as a new user?

Neil
              • 4. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                Community Member
                Yes I tried logging in from my wife's side and I even added another user to find a solution. All failed, same License Expired issue.

Might be forced to call India, what kind of a company has a customer service number actual paying customers so universally dread calling? The executives at Adobe ought to live in the real world, drive our cars for a week. It reminds me of Ford Motor Company in the 80's giving their executives new cars every six weeks, the executives saw no issues with the product. Perhaps takes us to the auto issues we now see in Detroit. The mind set of the insulated, too bad Adobe cannot be replaced by other products. I am really considering it, if I find enough software which will do the same job, I am off Adobe for life.

Who am I kidding, Adobe knows we users are stabbed for life, what other choice do we have? Lada made "great" cars until there was another choice in the USSR. We need choices. Where is my Obama?
                • 5. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                  Community Member
                  I called 1-800-443-8158, asked to after going through two customer service reps, each one needed my name, address, serial number, phone....the 1-800 number got me transferred to a higher level of technical service.

The tech had me remove APPLICATION SUPPORT > ADOBE > ADOBE PCD > cache > cache.db (to trash)

Also, the tech is to call me 30 minutes after the process to allow for testing of the CS4. So far all is well, other than Acrobat Pro not accepting my serial number. This I will go over with the tech.
                  • 6. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                    (David-Artur_Daix)
                    I'm having the exact same issue, except that only one application of the suite refuses to launch, namely InDesign.

All the other applications (Design Standard Edition) work fine, including Acrobat which, supposedly, is the program most affected by this bug.

I've tried every steps detailed in the knowledge-base article, including the one regarding the Adobe PCD folder (solution 5 in the document). I've reinstalled the suite 4 times already, switched to the default /Applications location rather than my preferred /Shared/Applications, opted to install everything rather than customize the installation in the hope that it would fix the problem.

To no avail. Nothing works and InDesign absolutely refuses to run.

Also, when uninstalling the suite, for some reason, the uninstaller doesn't recognize InDesign as being installed and so doesn't uninstall it. So maybe the problem is actually with the installer which doesn't properly sets up InDesign during the initial installation. That's what the error code #5 suggests when I try to launch the application, according to the KB article.

Frankly, it's absolutely inexcusable to ship products with activation schemes so problematic that paying customers end up being unable to use the applications.

Right now, if I want to use InDesign, I'll have to downgrade to CS3, which is certainly not something I wish to do.
                    • 7. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                      David-Artur,
                      >I've reinstalled the suite 4 times already, switched to the default /Applications location rather than my preferred /Shared/Applications, opted to install everything rather than customize the installation in the hope that it would fix the problem.

Well, CS likes to be installed in its default install location. Any other installation (or nesting or renaming) can be problematic, if not during use, during updates or successful removal. If you need to havethe apps appear in a particular location, place 'em in the Dock or make aliases.

And before you "reinstall" you must first use Adobe's uninstall tool. You can't just drag the application's folder to the trash.

Also, repair permissions, and boot from and run DiskWarrior.

Neil
                      • 8. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                        David-Artur,
                        >I've reinstalled the suite 4 times already, switched to the default /Applications location rather than my preferred /Shared/Applications, opted to install everything rather than customize the installation in the hope that it would fix the problem.

Well, CS likes to be installed in its default install location. Any other installation (or nesting or renaming) can be problematic, if not during use, during updates or for a successful removal. If you need to have the apps appear in a particular location, place 'em in the Dock or make aliases.

And, as a note, before you "reinstall" you must first use Adobe's uninstall utility. (You can no longer just drag the application's folder to the trash.) If uninstall is unsuccessful, Adobe has another, downloadable tool to remove remaining components.

Also, repair permissions, and (buy), boot from and run DiskWarrior to take care of other common issues.

Neil
                        • 9. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                          (David-Artur_Daix) Community Member
                          Hello Neil,

As stated in my message, I've always used Adobe's Uninstaller to uninstall the programs. And for some reason InDesign Is _never_ in the list of applications the uninstaller can uninstall, even though it has always been installed at the same time as the other applications.

Also, as stated in the original message, I've followed each and every step in the KB article, which include repairing permissions, running Disk Utility. I've also run Disk Warrior to make sure the sisk structure was fine, which it is.

The problem is Adobe-specific. Actually it's InDesign-specific on my Mac. I simply haven't been able to contact Abobe's support by phone, having been put on hold for more than 30 minutes before being simply disconnected.

I'm _very_ pissed off right now.

I hate DRM. I hate activation. And I think in the future I'll simply never buy an application that requires to be activated to work.

Best.
                          • 10. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                            Community Member
                            Yes, this is all really a sad service Adobe is offering. But we must follow the poorly ordered trail if we want success. Until there is another better software for Adobe CS4, we will bend over and take it.

Call customer service, get a Mac tech to walk you through an un-install including all prefs., etc. Plenty of garbage left behind.

Correct permissions. Restart.

Install CS4 again. Correct permissions.

Restart.

Test all software.

I did this and it is now flawless. Thanks to James from customer service in Mombai.

Remember to be cool when calling Customer Service, have a glass of wine while doing it all, ask them "how are you going to help me?". Let them walk you through....I am not the best at dealing with aggro from a software company which is not bright enough to make this process easy and further, make the serial issues a non event. I did it, so can you.

Good luck and set aside two hours from the phone call to the complete reinstall and testing.
                            • 11. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                              David-Artur,
                              >I simply haven't been able to contact Abobe's support by phone, having been put on hold for more than 30 minutes before being simply disconnected.

I hear you. I wish I could assure you that yours is an unusual circumstance. Best time to call might be a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, the moment the call center opens. Politely, but firmly insist on speaking with a supervisor. This may give you some acceptable resolution.

Did you locate the Clean Script tool that Adobe offers to remove all loose ends of prior installations? One other thing you may try is to log in as a new user and see if the apps work properly for you then. I don't want to recommend a system archive and install yet, but who knows if there was any damage caused by the earlier installation attempts.

Neil
                              • 12. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                Robert,

Your going to have too reinstall your operating systems. Bring it back to factory condition and then install all your software including CS4.

This should fix your problem.

From what I have been reading, people who purchase a software copy that gives you the option to use it for 30 days or purchase serial have the trial copy version of adobe software.

This version requires only one trial version so if you purchase CS3 and installed in 2 years ago and then just purchase CS4 you going to have to do a system restore.

if you need to use CS$ right away, change the date on your system to back before Sept 2007 this should get you in to do some work until your able to do a system restore
                                • 13. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                  Community Member
                                  I had the same problem...The tech had me remove 2 files...Make sure you have these folders in your library because I didn't and I had to reinstalled the programs again. Hope this works as it did to me!

Library/APPLICATION SUPPORT > ADOBE > ADOBE PCD > cache > cache.db (to trash)
                                  Library/Preferences>Flexnet Publisher>Flexnet>adobe_0001800_tsf.data (to trash)
                                  • 14. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                    I HAD the same problem. I want to emphasize the word HAD because it is no longer an issue. Ok, I'll quit messin' with you guys and tell ya what I did and how I did it. I googled my problem with the message "Licensing for this product has expired."

I went to this site, but I had to sign up but it was worth it because the programs now work:

http://www.dl4all.com/other/27284-adobe-cs4-license-for-this-product-has-expired-fix.html

but I think this site where you download the rar file works too without having to sign up:

http://kewlshare.com/dl/2c3e7aa2ba25/CS4LicenseFix_www.dl4all.com.rar.html

any questions? Email me at time4milkjr@hotmail.com
                                    • 15. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                      (David-Artur_Daix) Community Member
                                      Hello Neil.

One week later and still no solution in sight.

Yes, I tried all the tools provided by Adobe to either try to fix the licensing issue or clean up the drive after running the Adobe Uninstaller.

Nothing works for me.

Frankly, I'm appalled at the whole situation.

What fix should ever involve doing a full system restore just to make a suite of applications work, without any guarantee of success? What fix should be so unreliable and flaky as to give pirates and virus writers the opportunity to lure honest Adobe customer into downloading and trying hacks to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the fist place (I see that post has been purged: that's good)?

I'm using volume license copies of the Adobe suites purchased through my University. Prior to CS4 those didn't require any activation. So those issues are all new to me. But, frankly, they're shameful.

_If_ I ever get a reliable solution to my problem, I'll make sure to post it here.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to say, this is probably the very last Adobe product I ask my University to purchase for me and my colleagues. DRM/Activation/Copy Protection Schemes should _never_ be an annoyance to customers.

End of rant.
                                      • 16. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                        David-Artur,
                                        >Yes, I tried all the tools provided by Adobe to either try to fix the licensing issue or clean up the drive after running the Adobe Uninstaller.

Somehow, you have a bad install of the Adobe Suite. Can't say for sure why. But it may be from some corruption with your OS. Or maybe interference with some other background app running on your system. Or maybe a RAM or hard drive problem.

Unless someone else has a better idea, you may have to do a system archive and install and start clean.
                                        >What fix should be so unreliable and flaky as to give pirates and virus writers the opportunity to lure honest Adobe customer into downloading and trying hacks to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the fist place...

We just don't know that the problem lies where you say it does, as most people with install issues do get up and going with success. Yours is an atypical situation. I'm not trying to defend Adobe, but in all fairness, we don't know everything about your computer environment.

Neil
                                        • 17. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                          onestrangecat

I was having the same problem tonight and used this solution provided by Adobe. It worked right away. The only difference is that I had to set the clock back to 2008 rather than 2009 (in the date they recommend). 2009 didn't work, but 2008 was magic.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49485.html

Cheers,

Josh

• 18. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                            KMCatStanford Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem, but with the Windows Version of CS4.

I had a trial version of Photoshop CS4, it expired, I uninstalled it, bought Adobe Premier with my student discount, installed it with the new serial number without any problems, and now every time I try to open any CS4 Program (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, etc.) I get a message saying, 'Licensing for this product has expired.'

I can't find the equivalent file as this one for Macs:

"The tech had me remove APPLICATION SUPPORT > ADOBE > ADOBE PCD > cache > cache.db (to trash)"

I've also tried downloading the fix from the following website:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

(Running this multiple times, rebooting, etc.) but I also believe the above website is just for problems of "License has stopped working" and not "License Expired"

Any chance someone knows the appropriate Windows File to remove to solve this problem?  Any help would be much appreciated...otherwise, I'll try dealing with CS tomorrow when they open.

• 19. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                              Community Member

This is the Mac forum. You will get better help in the Windows Creative Suite Forum.

• 20. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                                judidunn Community Member

I do not have the Adobe PDC, in Appplication support, nor do I have the cache/db so i cannot trash either of them... I have already paid some joker $36.00 for nothing,  so do you have a clue for me I am a photographer with a deadkine and no CS$... sick to my stomach... Judi dunn

• 21. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                                  Community Member

did you read post 17?

• 22. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                                    Dawn8756

After much frusration (on Christmas Day!) I have finally resolved the problem.

I downloaded the trial version of Illustrator CS4 a few months back and the license expired. My Mother purchased the 'Student edition of CS4 design suite' and I installed onto my iMac...although, after it had done installing the message popped up with 'License expired' when I tried to open any of the programs. I was pretty furious, seeing as I received a genuine product as a Christmas present. I trawled the internet, and adobe helped me via this link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49485.html

I uninstalled my software. Followed the Macintosh Harddrive(on desktop)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD/pcd.db (info on link above) and deleted the cache file(s)...both cache and pcd.db. I then reinstalled my software and again put in my license code. They state that if you have used a trial version the expired code is already in the adobe pcd file and the new code does not override it. How idiotic.

What a joke. Stiff drink now please. Hope this helps you guys out.

Adobe, please make this clear for new customers.

• 23. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                                      Leviticus Newton

This worked for me.... I used trial and when I bought new would not work even after reloading several times.

Used this suggestion>>> Now all is gravy baby.

Solution 1: Turn the system clock back, launch your CS4 applications and erase the stored expiring serial number.

1. Set the computer clock back to May 31, 2009
                                                      2. Launch the affected CS4 product, or any CS4 application within the Creative Suite.
                                                      3. Go to Help->Deactivate, and check the option ERASE THIS SERIAL NUMBER.
                                                      4. Quit the CS4 application.
                                                      5. Launch the CS4 application and when prompted for the serial number, enter the number from your purchased product.
                                                      Of course then reset your clock to correct time and try again. Good luck

• 24. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                                        eldad-os

I hear you and feel your pain, as it's my pain as well!

I never had so many issues with any other software but Adobe, you think that will all the smart guys/gals they have working for them that they will come up with a product that just works.

Adobe support has to be the worst support in the world!! hands down, if you show me someone worst, I'll sell you my grandmother, promise.

I wish, oh I wish we had another product to go to, I will snap it in a second.

For me Adobe and Microsoft are the same $hit.

I now have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall all of my applications, what kind of solution is that???

damn you Adobe. so pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!

• 25. Re: Licensing for this product has expired (I paid for CS4)
                                                          jax_9898

I found an easy fix for this. I have CS4 on Windows7 but I think the same principle will

apply for Mac:

1. Change your system clock to a date that you knew your CS4 product was working

2. You should be able to launch your CS4 product now

3. From your product's Help menu (I am using Illustrator CS4), click on Deactivate

4. Check the option that will remove your software license key (note: you will NEED your software license key to enter it again so make sure you have a valid one before you do this.)

5. Proceed through Deactivation.

6. Exit Illustrator

7. Change your system clock back to today's date

8. Relaunch Illustrator

9. You will be asked for your serial number / license key

10. All will be well (I hope...it worked for me)