2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2006 11:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

SWF file format

davepla
      Hi:

What are the known differences in SWF file format between Flash and third party tools?

I've inherited a desktop app project and I'm having a lo t of problems when loading a rather big and complex movie in a MC/level. Sometimes it doesn't run at all, others it halts in a randowm way at different points even in the same machine.
      The client says it was made with a third party tool, not FLash and the developer is unreacheable. I'm guessing he scrambled the code or even worst, let a "time bomb".

I'm really thinking to quit despite the hours already spended as the client is not eager to pay for the extra debug hours or redoing it from scratch.

I'd really appreciate any advice,

David P.
        • 1. Re: SWF file format
          Level 7
          The Flash player reads the swf and only recognizes one swf format but there
          are different releases of the swf format and the Flash players as we all
          know.

The swf format is open so you can start your own company to make an
          authoring tool and the swf format is freely available from Adobe.

There are third party generation software programs that are more data to swf
          versus an authoring tool. But still the result is the same swf format.

There are third party tools I believe will obfuscate swf internals, stuff
          like making object and variable names difficult to follow to make
          decompiling (because it is an open format) difficult to uneconomical.

If it is a time bomb, the swf can be decompiled and if not obfuscated by a
          third party tool, the bomb may be found. A strenous route to go if
          suspected.

The movie may be having problems with Flash security changes if the movie is
          old. The would be the case if the movie is reading from local drives and
          communicating with server scripts.

Unless the developer is sick or dead, they should be available to advise on
          their masterpiece or if it is just a bad Flash movie then perhaps they want
          to disown it.

--
          Lon Hosford
          www.lonhosford.com
          Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
          http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
          May many happy bits flow your way!
          "davepla" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e69jr1$9me$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          Hi:

What are the known differences in SWF file format between Flash and third
          party tools?

I've inherited a desktop app project and I'm having a lo t of problems when
          loading a rather big and complex movie in a MC/level. Sometimes it doesn't
          run
          at all, others it halts in a randowm way at different points even in the
          same
          machine.
          The client says it was made with a third party tool, not FLash and the
          developer is unreacheable. I'm guessing he scrambled the code or even worst,
          let a "time bomb".

I'm really thinking to quit despite the hours already spended as the client
          is
          not eager to pay for the extra debug hours or redoing it from scratch.

I'd really appreciate any advice,

David P.

• 2. Re: SWF file format
            Level 7
            > What are the known differences in SWF file format between Flash and third
            > party tools?

There are none .. there is only one SWF format.

> The client says it was made with a third party tool, not FLash and the
            > developer is unreacheable. I'm guessing he scrambled the code or even
            > worst,
            > let a "time bomb".

If the source for it (FLA or whatever) is not available, regardless of the
            tool used, then there is nothing you can (or should) do other than use it as
            it is, or scrap it and start again.

> I'm really thinking to quit despite the hours already spended as the
            > client is
            > not eager to pay for the extra debug hours or redoing it from scratch.

Then quit. If the client isn't willing to pay, that is their problem.
            Unless of course you are a charity and donate your time for free.
            --
            Jeckyl