17 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2010 1:00 PM by GH Pelton RSS

AMT Subsystem Failure

Seanb_us Community Member
      Hi,

Got the following message entitled "AMT Sybsystem Failure."

"The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support."

Okay. That's a horrible message. Whoever wrote it should be fired. What a moron. How about identifying the software involved, first?

So, I googled and found it's a CS3 error. Who knew? I didn't even have any CS3 applications open. Again, can the idiot who wrote that error message.

Then, I don't have any support options. So, here I am. I noted a thread about this message in the Mac forum, but didn't post there because I'm on Windows. I looked at this KB article, but none of it pertains to me:
      http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402004&sliceId=2

According to the KB article, "This issue has several possible causes:"

* You moved the application out of the folder to which it was installed.

--No. I did not do that.

* You ran a restore on your system (Windows XP)

--No. Not that, either.

* You don't have user access to a necessary component of the application due to permissions restrictions or configuration of the system or application

--No. I have permissions. Never got the error before today. My permissions are the same as they have always been. Not running any CS3 apps at the time of the error, anyway.

* The FLEXnet Licensing Service has been stopped and is disabled (Windows)

--No. It is running and was when I got the error.

* You do not have permission to access the contents of the Flexnet Publisher folder (Mac OS)

--No. I'm using Windows XP SP3.

Finally, yes, I have plenty of hard drive space, minimum RAM--but enough (2GB)--and until today, my license of Adobe CS3 has been running just fine.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? (Aside from firing the idiot who wrote the error message.)

Cheers,

Sean
        • 1. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
          BobLevine UGM
          Well, you certainly know how to charm people into helping you.

Bob
          • 2. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
            Not looking to charm.

Can you believe that message? I wasn't even using CS3.

Anyway, the Adobe KB doesn't provide the solution--except remove and reinstall the software which will take a while and might require some negotiation if the servers at Adobe have an issue with me trying to reactivate the software on the same PC again.

Cheers,

Sean
            • 3. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
              Let me try this again without sounding so severely disappointed in an error message that indicated there had been data destroyed by the failure of unknown software--software it turns out I wasn't using at the time:

Hi all. I actually really do like CS3. It's a great package. A tad expensive for individuals, but worth it.

Anyway, this morning when I wasn't running CS3, I got the following error message:

"AMT Sybsystem Failure."

"The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support."

After I Googled the message, I found out three things: 1) that it pertains to Adobe CS3; 2) there's a discussion in the CS Mac forum on this error; 3) that there's a knowledgebase article on this error.

The Mac discussion didn't have anything I could use to address this error and at least one post in there dissuades Windows users from posting on the error.

I read the following knowledgebase article, but none of it pertains to me:

"This issue has several possible causes:

* You moved the application out of the folder to which it was installed.

* You ran a restore on your system (Windows XP)

* You don't have user access to a necessary component of the application due to permissions restrictions or configuration of the system or application

* The FLEXnet Licensing Service has been stopped and is disabled (Windows)

* You do not have permission to access the contents of the Flexnet Publisher folder (Mac OS)
              "

So, I searched the CS3 Windows forum and found no preexisting discussion on the issue so posted instead. I am nervous that data has been destroyed and not sure why this error happened when I was not even running any CS3 applications. And, it is apparent that the knowledgebase article is not comprehensive, because it does not include a cause that pertains to me.

So, aside from removing and reinstalling the otherwise excellent CS3 and going through whatever steps reactivation requires, does anyone have any thoughts on what happened to cause this error, what can be done to prevent it in the future and, finally, what data was damaged?

Cheers,

Sean
              • 4. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                Community Member
                Check to see of FLEXnet is running:
                Start>services.msc>FLEXnet Licensing Service
                If it's not running start it
                • 5. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                  Thanks. Flexnet is running. It was running when I got the message and still is. (It's mentioned in the KB article, as well, so good thought.)

And, I've figured out what the harm of this is: I cannot run CS3 applications any more. They keep shutting down. This is not good. I didn't think it would be.

Cheers,

Sean
                  • 6. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs
                    Did you run any Microsoft updates?

YOumight want to go back and verify the permissions on the flexnet folder and any pertinent registry keys.

Peter
                    • 7. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                      Thanks Peter.

What permissions should the folder have and how do I find what registry keys to adjust?

Cheers,

Sean
                      • 8. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs
                        Everyone needs read/write permission on the flexnet folder. You'll have to search the registry -- I really don't know which keys are necessary (you might find more info if you search this forum for flexnet, though).
                        • 9. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                          Thanks Peter.

These things have not changed ... CS3 has been installed on the same PC for a year. I'm having another issue with activation now, too,

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please reinstall the application and try again."

This when I am not running Acrobat.

I think the installation with regards to Adobe's activation is borked, and it borked itself. This is really quite a pain. From experience, I know it takes a long time for the uninstallation process to run, and then not only do I have to install all of this again, I have to reinstall all the updates.

It's a pity that activation gets in the way of using the product like this.

Thanks for your help,

Sean
                          • 10. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs
                            You may not think these things change, but stuff happens. My backup routine failed the other night (without telling me) because the drive letters got shuffled.

Any kind of update can rewrite permissions or registry keys, and crashes can do strange things, too.

Peter
                            • 11. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                              Community Member
                              AMT Subsystem Failure Error is Ridiculous!
                              I run Windows Visa- How do i fix this problem so i Can use my sftware.... CAN ANYONE HELP.........
                              • 12. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                                Hi sean, I have the same problem and it go further
                                (Flexnet is running )and still i cannot reinstall my CS3 program
                                after it was uninstalled , i changed three times a restore point on my pc ( XP home ), nothing helps
                                I also need Hééééééééélp , my photoshop study starts 05Jan2009
                                Eric from Belgium
                                e.leysen@euphonynet.be
                                • 13. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                                  Scot, down the street from Adobe headquarters San Jose, Calif

Dell XPS 1330, Windows Vista, 2GB RAM, same error "The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support." tried un-installing as suggested, got "the licensing subsystem has failed....."
                                  Any solution from adobe yet? is this issue solved in CS4? I'll take a free upgrade if it solves the problem.
                                  • 14. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                                    simonbuch

Well, I just installed 3 new laptops with Windows XP, all with FrameMaker 8.

Two of the machines refused to show anything further than the "Enter license key, or Trial" screen.

The FrameMaker 8.0 DVD I have isn't even part of a Creative Suite set, but [as I have worked at Adobe in their Seattle offices] I suspected there may be an Adobe/Macrovision licensing issue, and so I downloaded the Adobe Licensing Repair Tool from:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

A quick run of the tool [be careful - it looks like it's a developer led tool - the user interface is not logical!] produced a directory of some information indicating that various nodes had been repaired, and shortly afterwards, FrameMaker 8 sprang into life.

Thank you Adobe for taking up 2 hours of my life.

• 15. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                                      LDSdesign

I had the same error (After Effects CS3/Windows Vista) and after trying all of these steps with no success

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401528.html I left the Flexnet folder renamed to old and installed this After Effects CS3 patch and it finally stopped giving me the licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically error http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3833

Good luck!

• 16. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                                        GH Pelton

Hello,

I am seeking an answer to the problem of AMT Subsystem Failure.

I have been reading through the forums and have not seen a definitive answer yet.

Running CS3 suite, all programs will not load. They just show up in the processes of task mgr.

I have Win Vista.

Where is the Flexnet folder located and is this associated to the problem?

• Do I rename the Flexnet folder
                                        • Uninstall all of cs3
                                        • Run windows updates
                                        • Install cs3

Do I need to unregister before uninstalling and then register again after a fresh install?

Thank you all very much.

- Gary

• 17. Re: AMT Subsystem Failure
                                          GH Pelton Community Member

Solution found for the AMT Subsystem failure or Licensing for this product has stopped...!

You do not need to reinstall. This saved me likely another 4 hours.

The Adobe TechNote page http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401528.html does have the instructions (try "Solutions" in order) for resolving this problem with the AMT subsystem failure. I am very glad that I found it, and that it worked for me. It took awhile to find it. Hopefully you read my post here in the forum first to save yourself time. Solution is directly from adobe.

Thank you to those of you who have previously posted to this forum.

- Gary

solution 1 worked for me.

As it is on the Adobe webpage for kb401528:

Solution 1: Apply the Licensing Service Update

1. Close all Adobe applications.
                                          2. Download the Licensing Service Update.
                                          3. Extract and run the Licensing Service Update:
                                            • On Windows:
                                              1. Extract  LicenseRecovery109.zip.
                                                Important: A utility such as Winzip must be used to extract the contents of the file.
                                              2. Double-click LicenseRecover.exe.
                                            • On Mac OS:
                                              1. Double-click LicenseRecovery109.dmg
                                              2. Double-click LicenseRecoveryLauncher.app.
                                              3. Enter your administrator username and password when prompted, and click OK.
                                          4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
                                          5. Start the affected application.

Important: Run the patch again and enter option 0, when prompted, if your issue was not resolved on the first attempt. After running the patch a second time, if the patch did not resolve your issue, please proceed to "Set the FLEXnet Licensing Service to Manual and Start the service. (Windows only)".