4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2006 8:49 AM by the real POTMO

machine dependent bugs

robertwho
      I'm handling a project with compact shockwave file about 2.5MB in size.
      Frustrated with quite a few machine dependent problems, the same WinXP, IE. shockwave, it's OK in some of the desktops and errorsome in some other desktops. The main problem is described here

Another issue is: in some of the desktop, the pictures look perfect, some of the desktops, the pictures looks blur and "dirty" in the boundaries, actually in the Director MX, the pictures looks perfect, then come to the shockwave player in IE in the same desktop , it looks bad, after a lot of efforst to make it looks OK in my desktop's IE/shockwave, it becomes blur/dirty again in other's desktop .

Why so many desktop dependent problems?
        • 1. Re: machine dependent bugs
          Level 7
          robertwho wrote:
          > I'm handling a project with compact shockwave file about 2.5MB in
          > size. Frustrated with quite a few machine dependent problems, the
          > same WinXP, IE. shockwave, it's OK in some of the desktops and
          > errorsome in some other desktops. The main problem descriped <a
          > target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
          > href=" http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=187&thr
          > eadid=1160451&CFID=21676091&CFTOKEN=6c030faa631f5aca-B1C3A2C8-B8A9-6890-D416D279
          > DCA373EF&jsessionid=9630b2b22a1c1a631826">here</a>

I think you meant to say simply that you get script errors.

That usually means a missing xtra problem - on the machines where it does
          work, it just happens that they've visited a web site where the required
          xtras were downloaded.

To cure it, whilst connected to the Internet, go to Modify->Movie->Xtras and
          make sure "Download if needed" is checked for each xtra your Shockwave movie
          needs.

> Another issue is some of the desktop, the pictures look perfect, some
          > of the desktops, the pictures looks blur and coarse in the
          > boundaries, actually in the Director MX, the pictures looks
          > perfect,then in the same desktop in the shockwave, it looks terrible,
          > after a lot of efforst to make it looks OK in my desktop's
          > IE/shockwave, it becomes blur/dirty again in other's desktop.

Are the pictures being resized? That is one cause of reduced image quality.

Andrew

• 2. Re: picture quality
            Level 7
            Yea I didn't get any clues from the link in your posting. Aa aside, it's
            possible to get more detailed lingo error messages from shockwave,
            instead of the notify the author message, this involves placing a copy
            of lingo.ini in with the shockwave plugin, renaming the file
            shockwave.ini and uncommenting verboseErrors line in the file. Might be
            of use for your own testing, though one can't expect end users to make
            such an addition to their system.

I'm guessing the picture quality issue is an artifact of shockwave
            compression.

If you have selected jpeg compression in order to get maximum
            compression, some sprites can get antialias halo like distortion and
            random dots arould the edges. All member used on stage with matte or
            transparent, bg-transparant ink should be set to Standard compression in
            the member properties, Standard compression is lossless and will not
            introduce the color changes that jpeg compression is causing.
            • 3. Re: machine dependent bugs
              robertwho Level 1
              Hi, All,

Thank for your reply. I'm reasonably sophisticated lingo/Director MX developer, so the obvious reasons such as xtras/shockwave.ini have been tried. 2 issues here:

shockwave.ini's error message a bit too simple, no call stacks, so hard to pin down the exact locations of the errors, I tried other means, to print some debug info into some log files, then find out the errors occures no sense, ie, such lingo code should not have problems, and the location could be shifted with the adding of some safe robust codes somewhere else.

As an experienced programmer, I know this is memory leaks/corruptions, generally, developers should not be able to produce the memory corruption problems, I walkthrough the lengthy codes to the point where the errors occur, also can't identify the memory problems in my lingo code. also checked free memory, and see still lots of space available.

Weirdly, the errors generally could be resolved by a few "refresh" from the IE windows, or I further add/delete some other safe lingo codes hence changing the .dcr size.
              • 4. Re: machine dependent bugs
                the real POTMO Level 1
                check the DPI-settings. A DPI setting of 120 DPI can produce wierd results.