Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table column widths

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having trouble with my tables.

I have lots of tables with 2 columns and I want the 1st column to be just wide enough to fit in the text. As this is different for each row, I enter a specific value for that column based on what looks right. I am using px rather than % and have set the whole table to fill 100% of the screen.

The problem is that RH7 seems to be automatically inserting a huge space between the end of the text and the edge of the column and it looks a mess.

This is my first project with RH7. I never had this problem with earlier versions so has something changed? Is there a sneaky setting somewhere for column padding or something similar?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008
On its own, RH will not "automatically insert a huge space between the end of the text and the edge of the column."

The percent usage for tables is the better way to go, since that method also produces much better results when printed or when compiled into a Printed Doc output.

The HTML protocol takes up to the percentage of page width that is designated, wrapping the words in column 1 if necessary. However, if there is a contiguous text string (alpha/numeric/underscore) that is effectively wi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On its own, RH will not "automatically insert a huge space between the end of the text and the edge of the column."

The percent usage for tables is the better way to go, since that method also produces much better results when printed or when compiled into a Printed Doc output.

The HTML protocol takes up to the percentage of page width that is designated, wrapping the words in column 1 if necessary. However, if there is a contiguous text string (alpha/numeric/underscore) that is effectively wider than that set percentage, it will hijack the extra space that it needs from the adjacent column.

Assuming multiple words, then, a 100/20/80% has worked very well for us, showing consistency throughout the project, and in various output. Note also that if your table resides within a list, it should be formatted as 90/20/70% ( and 80/20/60% if in a second-level list).

Of course, if most of your content in column 1 is short and mostly one word, you could reduce column 1 width to 10%, for example.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Leon, and I think my wide screen monitor was confusing the issue!

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh sure.... rub it in!

Squinting to see on my dinky lil ole 15 inch laptop screen...

Sorry, couldn't resist teasing a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp