11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2008 12:34 PM by P Spier RSS

Folders display in reverse alphabetical order

Hi, I'm a Windows user with CS3, and when I go to open, save, place, or use any other command that opens up a file browser dialog box, all the folders/files display in reverse alphanumeric order. For some reason, this problem only occurs with Adobe programs. All other appear in normal order.

Is there a way to globally set the folder order to get all the Adobe apps to display in the correct sequence again? (this problem only recently appeared, and I'm not sure what operator error caused it...nevertheless, it's very frustrating.)

Please help!!!

Thanks,
      BoB Boyan
        • 1. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
          I am having the exact same issue have you resolved this?
          • 2. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
            Community Member
            Yes, it resolved itself when i did an automatic software update in Indesign. Ironically, the problem resurfaced yesterday only now my folders display by date order. It's 3x's the nightmare to search through folders that way - it may as well be completely random.

No updates were available this time, so i re-installed INDD and that didn't do the trick either...
            • 3. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
              P Spier CommunityMVP
              Are you using the "Details" display option in the dialogs (check the view icon in the top of the dialog)? Changing to list view (if using the Windows dialog) should put it back into alpha order, or click on a column in details view (in either the Windows or Adobe dialogs) to sort on that column. Click again to reverse the sort order.

In the Adobe dialogs, the other views seem to sort based on the order last selected in the details view.

Peter
              • 4. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                Community Member
                Peter, unfortunately that method doesn't seem to work either. A sort in the details view doesn't effect how the other views display.

Any other ideas?
                • 5. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                  P Spier CommunityMVP
                  Are you using the windows dialogs or the Adobe dialogs?
                  • 6. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                    Community Member
                    That's the weird thing. All windows explorer folders and windows based program dialog boxes are in the correct order. All adobe programs have open/save/etc dialog boxes out of order.

I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall the whole CS3 suite to take care of this once and for all.
                    • 7. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                      P Spier CommunityMVP
                      Bob,

I think we may be having a communications problem here. If Version Cue is enabled, you can click a button in in the lower left of the dialogs to switch between the standard Windows dialogs and Adobe's own slightly different dialogs. Of course that may not actually be relevant.

Windows appears to save the dialog settings for each application independently in my experimentation, so it makes sense in an odd way that only your Adobe apps would be behaving differently. Try switching to details view and sort on the name column, putting things into ascending alpha order. Then switch to list view. Are they still in the correct order? If yes, open or save a file as required so you can hit the OK button, and reopen the dialog. Did the settings stick?

Peter
                      • 8. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                        Community Member
                        Peter,

I now understand what you mean by "standard Windows dialogs and Adobe's own slightly different dialogs"

However, I'm using the windows dialogs in the Adobe Apps and I tried the troubleshoot method you mentioned, but the settings didn't stick. I tried it a couple of times with different Apps just to be sure.

I really do appreciate your help on this one, but if you're out of ideas I'm going to just reinstall this afternoon.

-bob
                        • 9. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                          P Spier CommunityMVP
                          Before doing a reinstall I'd try one more thing, replacing preferences, but I don't have a lot of hope it will work since this is happening in all Adobe apps, if I understand you correctly, and that's a pretty big coincidence.

For the moment, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Peter
                          • 10. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                            Community Member
                            Replacing Prefs may be worth a shot. How do i do that though?
                            • 11. Re: Folders display in reverse alphabetical order
                              P Spier CommunityMVP
                              Hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys down immediately after launching the applications. If you don't see a confirmation dialog asking if you want to replace the prefs, you weren't fast enough.

You can also delete or rename the files in your user profile under the application folders. For InDesign the two files you want to delete are InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData, which is in a different directory. The other apps should have similar files, though I don't know for sure the names or numbers for each of them. I normally suggest this approach rather than the KB shortcut because it allows you to restore them (and the customizations they represent) when they don't solve the problem, so you might want to make a copy of your user profile somewhere so you can copy back these files after a re-install (you have the option of preserving prefs during the reinstall, too, but I think I'd say no to that in your case).