33 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 2:36 PM by Dov Isaacs

Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....

Level 1
      I am attempting to run programs from the Adobe CS3 suite on my laptop, which runs with Windows Vista. My Adobe CS3 programs all show the "Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working" message, followed by a brief attempt to fix the problem by windows. Until this morning, the programs had been running without incident for several months.

Does problem sound familiar? What can be done to solve it?
        • 1. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          Take a look at the knowledgebase. There should be an article about
          starting the Flex licensing system. That might do the trick.

Mike
          • 2. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
            am attempting to run programs from the Adobe CS3 suite on my lap top, which runs with Windows Vista. My Adobe CS3 programs all show the "Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working" message, followed by a brief attempt to fix the problem by windows. Until this morning, the programs had been running without incident for several months.

Just happens to me yesterday, were can I found some help?
            • 3. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
              Level 1
              am attempting to run programs from the Adobe CS3 suite on my lap top, which runs with Windows Vista. My Adobe CS3 programs all show the "Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working" message, followed by a brief attempt to fix the problem by windows. Until this morning, the programs had been running without incident for several months.

Just happens to me yesterday, were can I found some help?
              • 4. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                Ok I have a difficult one. I installed CS3 Master Collection about two months ago. I tested out the programs to see if they all worked and they did. Then about two weeks ago I tried After Effects and get the C++ Runtime error. Others give the "Encountered a serious problem" and shuts down. Here is the line-up.

The ones that don't work with various errors:
                Adobe InDesign® CS3
                Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended
                Adobe Illustrator® CS3
                Adobe Flash® CS3 Professional
                Adobe After Effects® CS3 Professional
                Adobe Premiere® Pro CS3
                Adobe Encore® CS3

The ones that still work fine are:
                Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro
                Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3
                Adobe Fireworks® CS3
                Adobe Contribute®
                Adobe Soundbooth® CS3

I have gone through the support site and tried several suggestions provided. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing. I can't figure out what was installed between then and now to cause this. Anyone else have a similar situation? Any ideas?

Thanks,
                Jake
                • 5. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                  Jake, I am having a similar problem. I have Design Premium CS3 and have never had problems before. Then, yesterday, Illustrator would not open for me, saying "Adobe Illustrator has stopped working." Then Vista would search for a solution only to come back with no help.

These don't work (all saying "Adobe [Program] has stopped working":

Bridge
                  Device Central
                  Flash Video Encoder
                  Illustrator
                  InDesign

These still work:
                  Distiller
                  Acrobat
                  Dreamweaver
                  Extend Script
                  Extension Manager
                  Flash CS3 Pro
                  LiveCycle
                  Photoshop

I thought it might be something with the registry, and I notice that Norton's registry clean-up tool identifies a handful of Adobe entries that no longer point to valid files.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                    Level 1
                    Update: Customer service had me run CS3 Clean to remove all Adobe entries in my computer and then reinstall. The programs that previously did not work STILL do not work, and the programs that previously worked continue to work.

I'm going to try one more go-around tomorrow. This is insane.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                      The exact same thing has started happening to me yesterday. The only thing I have done differently in the last two days is that I updated my version of Itunes.

I've tried to reinstall the suite, but didn't work. John I will try running CS3 clean and see how I go.

Argh... great programs.. but pain in the bum! :-)
                      • 8. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                        Level 1
                        Linda-

I can now tell you that I have tried CS3 Clean three times, all unsuccessful. The last time, Illustrator started up and asked me to register. Once it had successfully confirmed registration, the program crashed.

I suspect that a recent update has disabled several of Adobe's programs; in the past week, my computer has automatically downloaded updates to Vista, Java, and Adobe Updater. I notice a host of registry errors identified by Norton in my computer, all related to Adobe.

It appears that we are all going to have to complain to Adobe until they fix the problem.
                        • 9. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                          Level 1
                          Another update: Bridge now works, but the following still don't work:

Device Central
                          Flash Video Encoder
                          Illustrator
                          InDesign
                          Stock Photos

Interestingly, while Bridge works if I pull it up directly, it crashes if I start it up by accessing Adobe Stock Photos.
                          • 10. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                            Level 1
                            Well... good news update from me.

I uninstalled it, ran CS3 Clean, then reinstalled the software and all good now and working.

I believe mine broke as Indesign didn't want to export documents... kept saying virtual memory running low, so I tried to "force" it to PDF the document in Acrobat... from then it wasn't working, so I obviously stuffed up the software then.

Goodluck with yours everyone!! :)
                            • 11. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                              Level 1
                              Ok, this week I will uninstall all the ones that don't work (I mentioned in an earlier post) and just install Photoshop to start and see if it works and go from there. Until now I never did have any problems with Adobe products.
                              • 12. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)
                                >Interestingly, while Bridge works if I pull it up directly, it crashes if I start it up by accessing Adobe Stock Photos.

Adobe Stock Photos is discontinued, but that shouldn't cause a crash, I wouldn't think.

Peter
                                • 13. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                  You never know, but I would (in fact, I did) disable it from starting up
                                  in Bridge's preferences.

It can be uninstalled too but I didn't want to start messing with
                                  something that worked.

Bob
                                  • 14. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                    I am having the same issue.
                                    The message "Adobe (program) CS3 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The programs were running fine, then out of the blue they won't launch. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Windows Vista Home Premium
                                    Dell XPS 420
                                    3GB Ram

Thanks for any advice.
                                    • 15. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                      try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                      John Ivsan, you mentioned that you have Norton installed.
                                      You should disable it while you are installing CS3.
                                      • 16. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                        I tried launching Stock Photos after posting, and it launched bridge with the discontinued screen -- no crash.

Peter
                                        • 17. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                          Level 1
                                          All-

I have now disabled Norton and tried CS3Clean and reinstalling. STILL NO LUCK! Again, Adobe Illustrator refuses to start up, and I get the same error messages as before. It does not appear to be an issue with Norton (firewall or auto-protect).

Again, I suspect that a recent update with Vista has rendered certain Adobe products useless. Anyone else have any idea what's going on here?

-John
                                          • 18. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                            Lots of things are known to cause issues with the CS3 installer, including besides the obvious antivirus and spyware scanners and firewalls things like iTunes, instant messengers, browser helper toolbars like the Google Toolbar, and previous versions of the Flash player, which I would have thought would be removed by the clean script, but there is a tool here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=2

Also, be sure jscript.dll is properly registered. It won't hurt to do that again. Click Start > Run and type regsvr32 jscript.dll with the space, but without the quotes, and hit enter. You should see a dialog saying it was successful.

Click Start > Run and type MSconfig and hit enter. Disable all non-essential services and all non-essential items in the startup items, particularly anything to do with Anti-virus, spyware protection or third party firewalls, and then reboot. You can hide all Microsoft service in the services tab of MSconfig to make it easier, and most of whats left will be non-essential, though if anything looks like it has to do with your DVD drive or your mouse youll want to leave it checked. Its probably safe to turn off everything in the Startup tab, but again, if you recognize a mouse driver, leave it on. MSconfig will run as soon as you restart the computer and if everything seems OK, just cancel for the moment.

Be sure the Windows firewall is disabled. Third-party firewalls should have been disabled in Msconfig. Other things that should be disabled include any instant messenger, iTunes, and Google toolbars or similar from other vendors if you run them.

Be sure Java is enabled in the browser, and that you have a default printer (LOCAL - can be fax viewer if necessary) online.

After the installer runs, reboot, and when MSconfig starts change it back to "Normal Startup" and reboot again.

Peter
                                            • 19. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                              Level 1
                                              Peter-

I am able to locate regsvr32 jscript.dll and run it. However, it returns an error 8000405. I'm actively connected to the internet, so I'm not sure why it is giving me this error.

I'll try running CS3 Clean again using your suggestsions and removing the Flash Player and other items you have indicated in the first paragraph of your reply.
                                              • 20. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                >I am able to locate regsvr32 jscript.dll and run it. However, it returns an error 8000405. I'm actively connected to the internet, so I'm not sure why it is giving me this error.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. This is a command line that should be entered into the Run dialog or at a command prompt. Being connected to the internet has nothing to do with running the command, though if jscipt.dll is not properly registered you might receive some script errors while browsing -- I really don't know about that.

The MSconfig method really does work. I've used it at least twice without any problems.

Peter
                                                • 21. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                  This might also be a permissions issue. I googled the error number and regsvr32 and found this link that implies you must have Admin privileges to run the command: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/07/25/the-call-to-dllregisterserver-failed-with-error- code-0x80004005-on-windows-vista/
                                                  • 22. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Peter-

Per your suggestions, I again ran through all of these steps, cleaned out the Adobe software, and I still have no luck. I'm almost resigned to reconstruct the computer!

-John
                                                    • 23. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                      The last thing I can suggest is to try a "desktop" install. I had one case, also, where the DVD drive was bad and didn't read one file, but the only way I found out was trying to copy the files for the desktop install -- the installer won't tell you.

For more on all of that, see http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb400624&sliceId=1

If all else fails, tech support will try to help you at no charge.
                                                      • 24. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                        and you need to take the same prelimanry steps of turning off stuff even for the desktop install, even if that isn't obvious. :)
                                                        • 25. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                          Level 1
                                                          As my previous post states I tried just installing Photoshop to see what would happen but still no luck. I tried Flash for the heck of it and same result. I want to blame Microsoft because this was a new machine in June, xp, sp3 Nvidia card. All worked fine and then half stopped working about a month or so later as I detailed in the previous posts. If it was microsoft then I would suspect thousands of complaints would be flooding in as happend a few weeks ago when a MS Patch kept people running Zone Alarm from connecting to the Intenet. I really don't want to do a "do over" when I don't know the cause and then go through the same thing. I hope adobe is paying attention to this.
                                                          • 26. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Update - Installed Vista Home Premium - all programs now work...for now.

The End?

We shall see.

John
                                                            • 27. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                              Dragos.Margoi

I had a problem also, today, with my Adobe Flash CS3, telling me that has stopped working and I managed to make it work by deleting the user defined workspace from this location C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Workspace. Reinstalling the application does not solve the problem. It will keep crash.

PS: My OS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Hope this will help somebody!

• 28. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                                michy_dits

I don't know if it'll help anyone, but i found that my Illustrator CS3 stops working when it "updates font menu". I found that putting in my chinese fonts makes it crash and makes the "Illustrator has stopped working" message come out. all I did was remove the chinese fonts from the Fonts folder in my computer, and my Illustrator works again.

• 29. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                                  Marty Blaise Level 1

I had one of our techs try to do the license fix and then try to reinstall Adobe Acrobat CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3 - after all four CDs ran, they said that all these programs failed to install again. I do have DreamWeaver CC but no other CC programs. I really don't need the newest versions of Acrobat or Photoshop. I was able to load one very old freeware program, but haven't had luck with Acrobat. Is Adobe blocking anyone with old licenses?

• 31. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                                    carolet46996816

All of my Adobe CS3 Acrobat, ID, Flash, PS etc are no longer working on my computer. This problem started three weeks ago when I downloaded a cloud update for ID.  My computer is a mess, Thanks ADOBE!  I am screwed as I used these programs daily to earn my living! DAMN YOU ADOBE!

• 32. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A cloud update for ID? There have been no updates for CS3 for 10 years or so.

• 33. Re: Adobe [program name] CS3 has stopped working....
                                                                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

To expand on Bob's response, even if you did update InDesign, it would not have affected the ability of Acrobat, Flash, or Photoshop to run on your system. I suspect something else changed (possibly an OS update) around the same time you did this InDesign update (an update that was released probably close to 8 or more years ago).

You didn't say what platform (i.e., Windows or MacOS) you are running on, but CS3 programs certainly not run on any of the more recent versions of MacOS and would be problematic on versions of Windows beyond Windows XP.

- Dov