1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2008 11:46 AM by Jim Lester

Opening Digital Editions and other issues

I have downloaded Digital Editions 1.0.464. When I have tried to open the program from my desktop (Mac OS X 10.4.11) I can not find the program. In the file folder Digital Editions that is created in my document directory I find two files; import.log, and manifest.xml. When I click on manifest.xml I open a Color Project program file.

My immediate reason for wanting to use Digital Editions is to organize my research that have in PDF format now.

I think I have a few problems. Do I have to go online to open the Digital Editions program. I thought that drag and drop of the pdf files would be applicable for this type of program

When I download the program I do not see the corresponding info in the download window in Safari.
        • 1. Re: Opening Digital Editions and other issues
          Jim Lester Level 4
          <p>Graham,<br>There should have been a shortcut placed in your Applications Folder during the online install process.  If it isn't there, then unfortunately the application itself is well hidden in the: <br><code>~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/digitaleditions2x0</code><br> folder (note: ~ is the unixism for your home directory usually at /Users/<your username>).  The easiest way to find this is to paste the following in a Terminal window:<br /><br><quote><code>open ~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/digitaleditions2x0</code><br><br /> which will open a finder window.  Once there you can drag a shortcut wherever you need to, but keep the application in it's place or the sites which do autolaunching of ADE will get confused.</p><br /><p> Just FYI, DE is set up with an association for .epub files, but not with PDF files.  Acrobat or Reader 8 will automatically launch DE for ebook protected PDFs (but this requires you to be online to do so - this will be fixed in Acrobat/Reader 9 so you don't need to be online).  So double clicking a book that you want to read should result in the right application being launched.  Also we don't launch ADE for reading the manifest.xml since it is just an XML file which helps us keep track of the books that you are reading with DE and it would be rude of us to associate XML files with a program that isn't a good general purpose XML viewer/editor, since as you have noted this doesn't lead to good user experience.  The download itself goes through a special Flash download process (hence the obscure download path) so it is expected, if unfortunate, that it will not appear in your browser download list (same thing happens in Firefox and IE)</p> <br /><p>Jim Lester<br>Adobe Systems</p>