5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 7:33 PM by (flv_converter)

I want my horizontal scroll bar!

It is unbelievably tedious to have to open the custom zoom widget in order to accomplish something as simple as a horizontal scroll in a document -- particularly since the custom zoom widget cannot be moved over to the side where the bookmarks pane is. Instead, I have to open it, move the window, close it to actually see, lather, rinse, repeat.

Come on, please give us a horizontal scroll bar!
        • 1. Re: I want my horizontal scroll bar!
          Level 1
          Interestingly, many users complain when they are given a horizontal scroll bar! "Why are you wasting space for something I don't need?" The compromise is to have a preference, but we do not support such a preference in 1.0. But we will add it to the list. Thanks.
          • 2. Re: I want my horizontal scroll bar!
            Level 1
            Hi Ric,

Very interesting. I don't need a horizontal scroll bar *all* the time, but when I'm zoomed in closer than the width of the page -- well, I sure as heck need it then. :-) I would guess that most people would like the horizontal scroll bar to appear/disappear based on whether it's relevant. That would be OK with me.

The reason I use Adobe Digital Editions is to read case studies for business school -- that is to say, for reference and citation purposes. That's why multiple docs is important. And a lot of these cases, it turns out, have mixed portrait/landscape orientation. Most of the case will be in portrait, but some exhibits will be landscape -- that's when I most need the horizontal scrolling, for landscape-oriented stuff.
            • 3. Re: I want my horizontal scroll bar!
              I really miss the direct scrolling that was available on the previous version that I "upgraded" from. I mean the little hand symbol that you could use to drag from page to page. I found this the easiest way to read. Now I have to use the zoom widget thing, which is not as direct.

It would be OK if I could just hold down the down arrow key to get continuous scrolling, but it only moves one line at a time, so you have to keep tapping it.

Maybe I'm missing an option, so if anyone can enlighten me about this, please do.
              • 4. Re: I want my horizontal scroll bar!
                Level 1
                These are good suggestions. Thanks.
                • 5. Re: I want my horizontal scroll bar!
                  That's why multiple docs is important. And a lot of these cases, it turns out, have mixed portrait/landscape orientation.
                  I really miss the direct scrolling that was available on the previous version that I "upgraded" from. I mean the little hand symbol that you could use to drag from page to page. flv converter I found this the easiest way to read. Now I have to use the zoom widget thing, which is not as direct.

It would be OK if I could just hold down the down arrow key to get continuous scrolling, but it only moves one line at a time, so you have to keep tapping it.