2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2009 7:28 PM by (flv_converter)

Have to reinstall everytime I clear cache?

Everytime I clear my browser history I have to reinstall digital editions, is this normal? Whenever I run CCleaner to be specific (and I run ccleaner a lot).

Isn't there a real program (that actually installs to a real area like C:\Program Files), or only this crappy little 3mb .exe that gets downloaded into \AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditions2x0\?

What if I made my own install path and just copied the exe there and re-routed my shortcuts there, would that effect my ebook downloads, or would everything fuction correctly?

This seems crappy..
      KN
        • 1. Re: Have to reinstall everytime I clear cache?
          Jim Lester Level 4
          KN
          Yes this is the normal and expected outcome of the technology we used to make the download/install process relatively easy and painless. While you can move the file and it would work for the most part, any website that uses a flash launcher for their eBooks (such as the ADE Library http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library/ ) would not recognize ADE as being installed and would force you to reinstall it the AppData location before launching, and henceforth run it from there. So while you could move it, you would end up in a running battle between which version would actually run. We are looking at producing a separate installer that would take care of some of these issue (important for running in a managed environment), but I don't know when that will actually make it into the product itself.

In the meantime your best bet would probably be to ask the folks at CCleaner if there is any way to exclude specific directories.

Jim Lester
          Adobe Systems

ps We're actually pretty proud of keeping the entire application size down to a single "crappy little 3mb .exe" file instead of inflicting you with massive bloatware.
          • 2. Re: Have to reinstall everytime I clear cache?
            We are looking at producing a separate installer that flv convert video would take care of some of these issue (important for running in a managed environment), but I don't know when that will actually make it into the product itself.