1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 2:41 PM by Jim Lester

Problems sharing across two computers on home lan

HarryPutnam Level 1
      I must be doing something basic wrong. The instructions for sharing a downloaded digital edtion sound very easy in the help manual but following those directions I am not able to share a book across two computers on my home lan.

Both computers have been authorized by my user id. When I open the menu item on Library menu/Authorize computer

I'm told the computer is authorized and my UID is shown. However when I attempt to `add' the book I get a message saying:

> This document cannot be opened on this machine.
      > Please contact the site where you obtained the document
      > to download another copy.

I just bought the book today not more than 2 hrs ago

The `knowledgbase' help for digital editions is completely useless and returns no hits regardless of what I type in the search field.

What else do I need to do to share a book across two home computers?
        • 1. Re: Problems sharing across two computers on home lan
          Jim Lester Level 4
          Harry
          You shouldn't need anything else. The common problems (after you have gotten past the authorization) for sharing are:
          - You copy over the .etd file instead of the .pdf file.
          - You copy over the .pdf file from /Digital Editions/ebx_backup instead of /Digital Editions. (My best guess, given the error message).
          - The file was purchased with only rights to view it on a single machine.

The not so common and more worrisome case would be if the License was not being correctly written into the file after you purchase it.

I would suggest that after verifying you are copying the correct file, you should open up a web support case, so that Bentley can track this, and help us gather all the correct information so we can figure out what is going on.

--
          Sorry you're having problems
          Jim Lester
          Adobe Systems