11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 8:06 AM by BWolfe [ADOBE]

I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade

ADE is saying update or terminate, both of which close the program. one opens up a browser window to download. two download links exist, one big button that open the same program repeating the loop, the other takes you no where.

Is this the biggest joke ever? I paid for this! This is the last e-book I will ever purchase. I feel like I'm being harassed for actually purchasing something.

A., can you please fix this?
      B., is it necessary to have all of this DRM for paying customers?
      C., do you guys have any level of QA?
        • 1. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
          BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
          If the download installer isn't working, use this technote:

Adobe Digital Editions does not install on Windows Vista
          http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403051

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
          Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
          Adobe
          • 2. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
            Level 1
            if I were on Vista that might help. I'm on XP.
            • 3. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
              BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
              The technote is for  both Vista and XP.  I added XP steps to it a few days ago, but those have not gone live yet.   The EXE is the same, and the install path is very similar. <br /><br />here's the path:<br />C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditions1x5.<br />(<username> is your user name on the machine you are using. For example, msmith). <br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Bentley Wolfe<br />Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions<br />Adobe
              • 4. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                Level 1
                Thanks for the worst experience in Adobe software.
                • 5. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                  I have a free Adobe Digital Editions. It must have expired because today when I try to use it I see "There is a new version...to continue using Adobe Digital editions you must download the update". I click on "Get Update". It takes me to http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/?autoPrompt=true  where the word "update" does not exist(!). So I click "download now". It takes me to "launch". I click that and it takes me back to "There is a new version..."(!!)<br /><br />I then clicked "contact us". I get to https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/support/index.cfm?event=portal, check "technical support" and "your products", only to find that the "continue" button is greyed out and I cannot proceed(!!!)<br /><br />After some complicated navigation of the Adobe website I finally find THIS page: http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi<br /><br />This has taken a lot of my time. I'm busy. I'm frustrated.<br /><br />(1) Please tell me HOW TO UPDATE MY ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS.<br />(2) Please tell me how you manage to sell products with a website like this.<br /><br />Best wishes, Eric A Lord <rc_lrd@yahoo.co.in>
                  • 6. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                    Level 1
                    Since posting 9:37am Oct 4, 08 PST , I deleted all my old "Digital Editions" files (except "my digital editions" folder that contains ebooks that my trusted Adobe Acrobat can't open and which are the ONLY reason for my needing "Digital Editions" at all).

(For some reason "Digital Editions" doesn't seem to have a simple "uninstall" option!)

I then installed the latest version of "Digital Editions".

NOW all I get when I try to open anything in "my Digital Editions Folder" is

"Blah blah blah.... error 2038" (whatever that means...)

I am now utterly disgusted by Adobe's stupid "Digital Editions". I've been very happy for many years with my Adobe Acrobat. Why should I be subjected to all this nonsense?

Can anybody help me???
                    • 7. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                      BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
                      Eric,

Unfortunately you could have avoided this by searching our technotes at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions.

This technote would have allowed you to install ADE 1.6:
                      Adobe Digital Editions does not install on Windows Vista
                      http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403051

(This technote is currently being updated to add XP as well). If you read back through this thread you'll see it mentioned there.

Next, Digital Editions, when correctly installed, should show up as "Adobe Digital Editions' in the Windows Add/Remove Programs control panel.

Finally, I suspect you may have damaged something. Please post the ENTIRE error message you're seeing. The details are important!

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
                      Adobe
                      • 8. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                        Level 1
                        Dear Bentley ~

Thank you for this response. I would never have found this technote otherwise because (a) I'm using Windows XP not Windows Vista, and (b) I had no way of knowing the ADE 1x5 really meant ADE 6 (!). (How are people supposed to know things like that??)

I've downloaded the zip file. I'm currently in communication with someone at Adobe's customer service as well as this forum. If they can't help I'll uninstall my ADE yet again, unzip the zip file and follow the installation steps in the technote.

The problem has changed into something else. The message telling me I must update now no longer appears - so perhaps the ADE 1x5 I finally succeeded in downloading really is ADE 6. And it NOW opens the troublesome ebook (a 10 Mb pdf), so I can read it. The nuisance is that, each time, ADE also simultaneously, and unnecessarily, contacts the website I bought the ebook from (which limits the number of downloads per ebook per customer to 3 so it's not surprising ADE comes up with an error message).

You say I "may have damaged something". I can't think why you should say that. All I did was explore the Adobe website till I stumbled upon an obscure page from which I COULD download ADE, and downloaded it!

I hope someone will deal with the faults in Adobe's website that I reported.

The full error message is:
                        Ten Books on Architecture (Illustrated):
                        IO Error on Network Request.
                        Please check your network connection and try again.
                        Network Path:
                        http://ebook2.lightningsource.com/TitleDownload/LSCFD.dll?sku=5551440281&oid=ODAgXmGkp7YMC 024YGMdDRSJOXyU3Z2f+KdkDR3fFjLucPcHuPHejGYefxDebxnVkN/5iZowP+MlaxId9Jq0RWT8KsLPD4+4u+tVvX6 2ZlnQs7k=&idtype=SKU&fname=5551440281.enc
                        Event Detail:
                        Error #2038
                        --- end ---

Best wishes~

Eric
                        • 9. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                          BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
                          Well, #2038 is a very generic error. All it really tells us is that the Flash Player (which is part of Digital Editions) ran into a problem when contacting the server. The most common causes of these kinds of problems are some proxy or firewall that is interfering with the HTTP headers that DE needs to manage the download process. Same as what's described in "Error: "Adobe DRM Error" when you activate Digital Editions or access an eBook" http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402747.

Another cause can be a spam or virus checker, such as Kaspersky or McAffee, which is not set to allow Digital Editions to access the internet.

Another thing that some publishers note is that if the book is not inside 'My Digital Editions' a 2038 error can occur.

However, in this case I'm not sure I'm following. You -can- open the book and read it, yes? But you're seeing the 2038 error in the error log, even with a successful launch?

<<<< >>>>

I think the problem here was that Adobe Digital Editions is not ever listed as 'your products' on the support site. It's lister under 'Additional Products". I think because it's a free download and doesn't have a registration or serial number. So it can be hard to find. And I'm not sure how the support site knows that you -have- ADE. I'm not quite sure what to advise there for the future..

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
                          Adobe
                          • 10. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                            Level 1
                            Dear Bentley Wolfe ~
                            Thanks you for your reply. I now understand that the generic error 2038 message is coming up because Adobe Digital Editions is trying to download an ebook from the website that supplied it (ebookmall.com), after the number of allowed downloads (3) has been exceeded.

But ADE SHOULD NOT BE CONTACTING THIS SITE - the files for this ebook ARE already in my "My Digital Editions" folder. In fact, when ADE does this the ebook IS OPEN underneath the error message window! When I click the x to eliminate the error message window, my ebook is there, opened, and available to read. So my ebook is now accessible again. But of course what ADE is currently doing is very irritating.

From your remark "...in this case I'm not sure I'm following", I perceive that you are as puzzled as I am by this behaviour of ADE. If you are able to find out anything about how to stop it doing this, I would be most grateful.

That's it. This only happened after I was asked to update ADE. I clicked the "Get update" button, was taken to a page that didn't work, hunted around until I found a "download ADE" facility on some Adobe webpage, and clicked it. I presume the ADE that downloaded IS the updated version because the "you must update..." message no longer comes up.

If all else fails I'll remove my ADE, open the zip file you recommended and reinstall from that. Before I try this, can you assure me that start>settings>control panel>add or remove programs>Adobe Digital Editions>remove WILL NOT DELETE THE CONTENTS OF THE "My Digital Editions" folder?

Eric
                            • 11. Re: I can't read my class text book because your system won't let me upgrade
                              BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
                              Eric, do you have a case number? If so please post it and we'll get an agent to work with you. The forum isn't always very efficient.

I also would NOT recommend reinstalling ADE. That's not going to change anything.

If you don't have a case number, please open one (a support case, not customer service) and post the number back here.

To open a Digital Editions 1.5 Technical Support case, please use the contact links at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
                              Adobe