3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2008 12:19 PM by BWolfe [ADOBE]

Open DRM EBook in Acrobat not Digital Editions

When I try and open my DRM protected ebook in Acrobat it forces it to open Digital Editions. In addition to a superior reading experience in Acrobat I can highlight passages and write notes. These are the primary reasons I buy ebooks and Adobe Acrobat Pro software. If I am forced to use Digital Editions for my e-books then I won't buy Acrobat Pro or e-books. Please help.
        • 1. Re: Open DRM EBook in Acrobat not Digital Editions
          BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
          The last version of Acrobat to support ebook content (via a plugin) is Reader 7. Any later version will send you to Digital Editions.

So your only option here would be to uninstall ADE and reinstall Reader 7. There are instructions in past threads that you should be able to find on google.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
          Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
          Adobe
          • 2. Re: Open DRM EBook in Acrobat not Digital Editions
            Level 1
            I use a tablet pc and Adobe Acrobat Pro to read, highlight passages and mark my ebooks. I don't believe this functionality is available in Digital Editions is it? If this is the case, this is a real problem. It makes no sense to me why Adobe would do this when ebooks, and ebook technology such as Kindle, Sony etc are starting to gain traction. It also means my investment in terms of time and money in PDF ebooks is undermined. Am I misunderstanding something? Is there a way to regain the functionality of Acrobat for reading and marking up ebook?
            • 3. Re: Open DRM EBook in Acrobat not Digital Editions
              BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
              Blake,

Those features are things that are being considered for future versions of Digital Editions (becuase they've been asked for many times.. but we can only get so much in a 1.x product).

If you need those features now then your only option is to roll back to Reader 7.

Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
              Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player/Digital Editions
              Adobe