1 2 Previous Next 69 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 11:43 AM by thorntcg

Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"

I do not understand whether or not Digital Editions is flawed as a result of technical retardation on the part of its developers (unlikely), or because it represents a triumph somehow of the rights of publishers over those that pay for access to that published content.

The reason for doubting that the crippling navigational and other shortcomings of the product as a result of profound programming retardation comes as a result of comparing Digital Editions to Reader, Acrobat, and so forth. I guess it's cool to play at communist until the folks cutting the bigger check object.

I just spent for instance 85 bucks on an electronic text for a law class. The scrolling, inability to copy any text whatsoever, even though I can easily type out what I need in a time-consuming manner, the almost horrificly bad resizing tools and behaviours, I just don't know where to start.

Let me just finish by offering both a hearty and sincere, "thanks for a piece of crap".
        • 1. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
          Level 1
          I wanted to apologize for the angry post I made earlier. Just because Digital Editions is deeply flawed in so many content management and user interface aspects - essentially, the child in the family of Adobe products that m-u-s-t be made to keep its helmet on in order to avoid further brain trauma - does not justify my use of the word "crap".
          • 2. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
            cocoalovethax

I agree.  I can't stand this piece of crap either.  It's overly slow, scrolling sucks, zooming sucks and all of these make it really hard to find what you're looking for.  On top of that, when you type in a page number, it is like 15 pages off, forcing you to scroll up or down.  And the scrolling really is the worst I've ever seen, it literally takes like 5 seconds just to scroll to the next page.  And that's absolutely ridiculous.  Sometimes our professor will switch pages in the book a lot, and by the time I can find the problem she's already on another page.  Incredibly frustrating.  Do yourself a favor and stay away from Adobe Digital Editions like the plague.  I won't buy an eBook again if I have to use this stupid Digital Editions crap.

• 3. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
              k.cobley

Adobe have effectively "stolen my property" my e-books (mostly Wiley Publications) were originally purchased from Amazon and Adobe in PDF not digital editions. I bought them in PDF because that's the way I wanted them so I could use read aloud or print extracts. And along came Adobe who entered my home without my authority and put a padlock around my bookshelf, only the threat of legal action  got my books back (Both Amazon and Adobe don't do redownloads for previously purchased books, and neither do Wiley) following the installation of Vista when DRM refused to authorize my books claiming it wasn't the original computer. All I had done was upgrade to Vista.

Now the nightmare is back, I had to reinstall my operating system due to failure of essential parts of the software and again Adobe have decided to nick my property again all my WILEY publications have been lost.

I buy NO Adobe, Amazon, Wiley products because if I am swindled I don't get swindled again. Long stretches in jail for the crooks running these companies!!!!!!

• 4. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                moqtev

I agree that Digital Edition is really poorly made - imagine a real paperback book being so complicated to open and with such a bad non intuitive userinterface? We can do so many things today - I wish the programmers of the world would get that interface is the most important thing of every tool!!!

• 5. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                  floyingmd

Digital editions Sucks.!!! I cant say it enough. Want to know how I really feel????

• 6. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                    floyingmd Level 1

Digital editions Sucks.!!! I cant say it enough. Want to know how I really feel????

• 7. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                      ernestorioslanz

Why I cant copy fragments of the content!!!!?????

I am a researcher and I want to use quotations!!!!!

I don't want to type letter by letter....Thats why I tought this plataform will help me the homework of typing everything but is not working.

At the begining it was working now its says that is not aloud!!!!!

Can you please helP?????

please

Ernest.

• 8. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                        ernestorioslanz Level 1

Why I cant  copy fragments of the  content!!!!????? I am a researcher and I  want to use quotations!!!!! I don't want to type letter by  letter....Thats why I tought this plataform will help me the homework of  typing everything but is not working. At the begining it was working  now its says that is not aloud!!!!! Can you please helP????? please  Ernest.

PLEASE WRITE ME TO THIS ADRESS... BY THE WAY I CANT CHANGE MY DEFAULT ADRESS I ALREADY TRY nd is not workinggggg!!!!!!

very bad design if I want to actualize my profile....it dosnt give me the posibility to change my email......bad bad plataform!...

s3233093@student.rmit.edu.au

• 9. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                          ernestorioslanz Level 1

Yes D E SUCKS!!!!!

Please some one reply....or show me that DE dosent suck!...

I can copy any fragment for my research...and why it was working the first day....now copy is not working this software is bbbbbbaaaaadddd!...

• 10. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                            ernestorioslanz Level 1

Yes Digital Editions SUCKS SO BAD!!!!!

Please someone reply to me....or show me that Digital Editions is great!..

I can copy any fragment for my ebook.... for my research...and why it was working the first day??????....

now copy is not working this software is bbbbbbaaaaadddd!...so BAD!.....people don´t use this until we fix this type of problems!...

Please send me an email to this address...

s3233093@student.rmit.edu.au

• 11. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                              LvBillym

This is truely the worse reader I have used on my pod, hands down bar none, all comments are true here and adobe can do a better job and should, they are getting tax payers money and  for that providing a really bad product and should be both embarrassed as well as ashamed.

After using the apple reader and the kindle reader then using this you just have to say are you kidding me?

My two cents

• 12. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                MatsOdolphij123

I agree , this f**sucks. Thanks for waisting my time adobe. *** tards..

• 13. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I think we should revoke your right to be in society too.

ADE does a job according to the requirements of the Digital Millenium

Copyright Act of 2000.  It's core processor for digital rights managed

content is 'certified' as conforming to what publishers and resellers

require under that act.  If you went to another software suite, such as

Bluefire Reader or Overdrive, you will encounter roughly the same result.

ADE does have design limitations.  PDF files seem to suffer from those

limitations the most, and that's odd because Adobe originated this prime

format for electronic documents.  There are the usual issues relating to

the way ADE interacts with ereaders and sources for downloads - but you'll

run into many if not all of the same issues with other software.  Amazon

has managed to streamline the ebook experience by designing its Kindle

platform to use subsets of the core code structure, but there's no way to

download ebooks to a Kindle except via Amazon at the time I write this.

B&N has done something similar with the Nook, but at least left enough of

the core code to allow other edocument software to interact with Nooks.

Finally, if you don't understand the hardware and software requirements for

using ADE with sources and ereaders, you'll make assumptions - and an ***

out of you and me.

Don't 'waist' your time swearing at ADE.  Do something else.

================

• 14. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                    starstuffAU

Don't 'waist' your time swearing at ADE.  Do something else.

Don't waste YOUR time defending a fundamentally flawed piece of s*** software. ADE = frustrating.

• 15. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                      benekski

...Completely agree... I've been trying to follow a tutorial book and it's impossible to navigate in Adobe Editions. What an absolute piece of rubbish, why can't I just open my PDF in Acrobat Reader... Rest assured, I won't be purchasing any digital content in future which is confined to Digital Editions.

• 16. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                        Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Gee.  This thread has been quiet for just about a year, and you've opened

it up again....

DE wasn't designed to do the kind of things that Reader was it designed to

do.  DE tells you in its HELP section that it has limited functions for PDF

materials, and which file functions it does not support.

Have you tried to open the content in Reader instead of DE?  You can access

the Adobe Digital Editions library with Reader, so there aren't any

technical hurdles to trying....

===============

• 17. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                          benekski Level 1

Whenever I attempt to open my PDF in Acrobat Reader, Safari opens and redirects me to the Adobe Editions web page... I think my PDF is bascially locked to DE.

The problems I have with DE are all to do with the basic level of navigation it offers.

• 18. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

No.  Your computer's directing the PDF to ADE because it thinks that's the

program you want to use.

You can change this.  You can open Reader, then choose 'Open' from the main

screen, locate the file and open it directly.

As an alternative, use Windows Explorer (not Safari or Internet Explorer)

or your utility program if you're using a Mac, to locate the PDF file on

the computer.  I suspect it's in the Adobe Digital Editions folder.  Then,

if you're in Windows, right-click on the entry in the folder.  A drop-down

menu should appear with a choice 'Open With' about in the middle.  If you

click on that, you will see a list of programs that can deal with a PDF

file, and Reader should be in the list.  Click on Reader, and it should

open the file.  You might get a choice also to 'Always Use this program'.

If you do, then you can choose to open all PDF files using Reader.

==============

• 19. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                              benekski Level 1

Maybe I wasn't clear... When I attempt to open the PDF either by dropping the file on the Acrobat Reader program icon or by opening through Acrobat itself from the File menu, Safari jumps to the front and directs to the ADE web page...

I work on a Mac, so I'm afraid I don't have Internet Explorer, but I'm familiar with setting the default program for certain file types is OS X... I'm 99.9% certain that the PDF is locked to ADE.., it's a book that I purchased some time back but I've only just gotten around to going through it.

• 20. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

As you might have guessed, I work on Windows PC's.  So....  What is the Mac

procedure to set up the file/program associations?  And is that going to

work for you?

=============

• 21. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                  benekski Level 1

To set up the file association in OS X, you would select the file and click File->Get Info (CMD+I) and locate the Open with: drop down menu, from which you would select your preferred application... but the problem isn't to do with the file type asscociation... PNG files are by default associated with Adobe Fireworks, but that dosn't prevent me frrom opening them in Photoshop... The problem is that Acrobat Reader is refusing to open my PDF becuse of the licensing or registration info contained within it...

• 22. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I see....  This might be a DRM issue with the ebook.

Try to find out.  With ADE in Library mode, hover your cursor over the

small arrow next to the ebook's name.  A drop-down menu should appear.

Pick 'Item Info' from the menu.  Another drop-down display will appear, and

the ebooks digital rights are shown in the middle.  If they are not set,

then there's no DRM protection on the ebook, and you 'should' be able to

open it with Reader....

=============

• 23. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                      benekski Level 1

OK, there's nothing explicitly called Digital Rights, but there's a permnissions seection with the following...

Licensed To: (my email) and a urn: code

Viewing: on any device

Copying: not allowed

Printing: not allowed

• 24. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                        Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Right - it's a display of digital rights, but it's not called that.

Copying is not allowed, so DRM is in effect for this ebook.  I think you'll

agree that this is a bit misleading, but DRM is preventing you from doing

what you want to do.

You can go back to the source for the ebook and plead your case for the

digital rights to be changed and the ebook downloaded again.  Sometimes

this works - sometimes not....

===============

• 25. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                          benekski Level 1

Maybe I will do that..., do you think I would have to contact the publisher or the shop/website I purchased from?

• 26. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'd start with the website where you purchased the ebook.  Of course they

can pawn you off onto the publisher, and then you could have a go at them.

This shouldn't happen - but it does.  Not supposed to, but....

============

• 27. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                              Nick_Baxter

I agree. Navigating is awful. On my Mac, scrolling virtually does not work, it is incredibly slow and choppy. It is the Adobe software because I'm on OSX 10.7 with a quad core i5 and 32 Gigs of RAM. Scrolling works great on my 8 year old windows XP machine though. Something is very very wrong with that. Also, what's the point of being able to highlight and take notes in my study book if they don't sync to my other devises? Also, there is no practical solution for the iPhone or iPad. I ditched the laptop years ago and I'm stuck studying and taking notes at home on my iMac that doesn't scroll. There also is no feature to click to the next page, I have to type in the page number. Worst software I have ever used. I can't desire if I'm more upset with Adobe or with the Publisher for not providing the book through Apple, Amazon, or Kindle.

• 28. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                sjpt Level 4

I agree that ADE is a poor bit of software in many ways; but not going into that more here.

Apple and Kindle are both more restrictive than Abobe DRM,

though more convenient if your usage pattern and devices happen to fit their limitations.

Also, there is no practical solution for the iPhone or iPad.

Have you tried the Bluefire app?  I haven't found any books that ADE will read on the PC but Bluefire won't read on the iPad.

Transferring books to iPad is a bit awkward (iTunes, Dropbox or email work),

but that is because of Apple's absurd limitations on the way transferring files work rather than a fault of ADE or Bluefire.

• 29. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                  T. Smith47

Since there are really no helpful comments on how to fix this issue posted here, even though it is old, I have found a solution. I am only replying since someone else will probably Google this problem in the near future and read through the whole forum, hence how I arrived here today. My solution was to download ePub converter (5-day free trial) and this application will allow you to convert your .acsm file into PDF, Kindle reader format (suggested; awesome reader w/ useful features) and about 3 or so more different file formats. There is more information listed on the application website, which you can access here:

http://www.ebook-converter.com/133-acsm-to-epubpdf.htm

I hope this fixes future problems as I'm sure everyone who has posted here no longer has this problem. BTW, that first post was F***ING hilarious! Definitely the red-headed step child of Adobe products.

• 30. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                    zoomer_0101

I thought it was me !  I downloaded this, an adjunct from my Google Books, hoping for some better nav, a bookmark system, copy to printers.  Whoa -- Adobe put out a real stinker on this.  I guess when you're as big as Adobe, you can put out anything and the followers will gobble it up,. ex. microsoft operating systems.    Ok, don't need to get started on that rant. But thanks for the post, will be removing this Adobe product immediately.

• 31. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                      cookiez-_-

No, you are totally right. This software is a piece of crap. I think it a severe memory leak or something, although, shut down and restarting computer didn't work. I spent $70 for a digital copy of my textbook to read. They required this program. Now I can't probably highlight. When I do it crashes (not responding) and then continues to function, after EVERY. SINGLE. right click to create note or highlight. Scrolling to the next page itself takes like 5 seconds. So this is my scenario: Reading, -right clicks-, program crashes-, -right click menu appears-, -selects option-, waits several seconds-, -text highlights-, -repeat-, I go to next page, wait another 5 seconds. Ok, its 5 seconds, but compared to nanoseconds programs are supposed to respond? I'm kinda annoyed. Please Adobe look into this. I have a midterm coming up and I am studying for it through this text.

• 32. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                        atefy93004601

Just used it for the first time and it is nothing but garbage, i wish i had tested this before buying a god damn book on google play. Horrible, how am I suppose to read this book now? anyone reading this, Dont even try ......

• 33. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                          kristinad50117029

Like many others, I also bought a book of a few hundred pages for my studies. Imagine my shock when realizing that I can't highlight text, it just doesn't work; nor can I skip pages! I'm absolutely enraged!!!!!

• 34. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                            fharrington79

Five years after the original post and users are still expressing their disgust with this application.  Let me add my complaint to the pile:  scrolling, zooming, and navigation in general are absolutely terrible.  The application is unpleasant in general.  The last complaint isn't directly Adobe's fault but the custom published material I'm viewing in DE is incredibly expensive and this terrible app is the only way to view it.  On top of that, my ability to print has suddenly disappeared despite the content still being authorized.  Adobe, if you could spare 0.01% of the resources you are devoting to Creative Cloud to fix this broken application you would improve the educational experience of thousands of students.  Right now, ignoring this problem is actually harming education in some quantifiable sense for those who are forced to use this DRM app.

• 35. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                              sam1029384

I know!!! I absolutely cannot even fathom how this application is still in such a horrific state, and yet it is still being used by publishers!!

Adobe Reader can scroll and zoom normally, why is ADE so deficient in these simple functions? Isn't that the main function of an application like this? To allow one to view and navigate documents?? Zoom is locked to a couple terrible levels and does not allow free-zooming. Scrolling is slow and inefficient. Arrow keys to navigate randomly jump the page around and are inconsistent. Page links within documents bring you to a location where a portion of the section is cut off (and then you must try to use the horrific arrow key navigation to scroll up slightly, only to jump up several pages at intermittent keystrokes!!).

This unusable application is preventing me from learning!!! I will avoid ADE like the plague from here on out and tell everyone else I know to do the same!!

• 36. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                                derickf46924605

Really awful, practically unusable because of slow scrolling.

I am a university faculty member and am recommending to our library to avoid any ebook purchased that require ADE in the future.  I'd urge others to do the same.

• 37. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                                  quenaelin

I am just starting using ADE 4.0 and it sucks, you can't drag pages and pages are moving very very slowly when you try to scroll them, it is real pain, nothing has changed or improved I guess. I am using DL Reader for Windows 8, but for Windows 7 there doesn't seem to be good reading software available.

• 38. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                                    mardster13

I find that if I use an app like MemoryBoost, I can get some scrolling functionality back for a while. There must be a very bad memory leak somewhere in the application unless there's an algorithmic "feature" of some sort that says you aren't paying enough attention so we're going to slow your paging down.

• 39. Re: Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"
                                                                                      antonh49599210

5 years later and it still sucks. srsly it's busting my balls. i can't scroll farther than 10 pages without freezing for a minute. it's horrible

1 2 Previous Next