5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 5:31 PM by (dotbrown)

Can't download sample books or bought books

Hi, I downloaded ADE 1.6 yesterday and downloaded one of the sample books without any problems. Today I purchase some books and go to download them and just keep getting rerouted to the download page repeatedly. Attempted to download a sample book again (to see if problem was ebook store or ADE) and the same thing happens. What is going on? I tried reinstalling, restarting the computer and nothing helps. I hope I just didn't waste my money on the books I purchased if this isn't going to work. Any ideas??

Dot
        • 1. Re: Can't download sample books or bought books
          Jim Lester Level 4
          Sounds like the file handler for the purchase token (.etd or .acsm files) that gets download from the browser is being handled (incorrectly) by either Reader or Acrobat. Acrobat/Reader 9 will correctly launch ADE if it is local and not register to handle the purchase tokens.

So you can either:
          1.) Upgrade your version of Acrobat / Reader
          2.) Manually Digital Editions to handle .etd/.acsm files
          3.) Open up a support case at http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/

--
          Jim Lester
          Adobe Systems
          • 2. Re: Can't download sample books or bought books
            Level 1
            I've downloaded Acrobat/Reader 9 but get an error messege that the .etd file cannot be opened. I tried to manually set Digital Editions to handle the files but for some reason Digital Editions doesn't show up as a choice. I guess I will have to open a support case, but after reading these forums I don't know if I have much hope. Thanks so much for your help!!!!
            • 3. Re: Can't download sample books or bought books
              Jim Lester Level 4
              Sounds like the .etd file is still registered with Acrobat instead of Digital Editions.<br /><br />When setting the handler manually there is an option to browse for the application instead of selecting it from the list<br /><br />You can find the ADE executable at the following really non-intuitive locations:<br /><br />Mac:<br />/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/digitaleditions1x5/digitaleditions1x5.app<br /><br />(the windows paths are from memory so they may be a little off)<br /><br />XP:<br />c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditions1x5\digitaleditions1x5.exe<br /><br />Vista<br />c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\digitaleditions1x5\digitaleditions1x5.exe<br /><br />Good Luck<br />--<br />Jim Lester<br />Adobe Systems
              • 4. Re: Can't download sample books or bought books
                Jim Lester Level 4
                <removed double posted message>
                • 5. Re: Can't download sample books or bought books
                  Level 1
                  Thanks Jim,

Believe it or not, I tried that too. :) I browse, go to the path and click "open" and nothing happens. I really appreciate all your help. At least I know I am on the right path.

Thanks,

Dot