1 2 3 Previous Next 90 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 6:38 PM by sddgjgdfjkjklsdlkjfdlkljk Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
        By4Geoff Level 1

I too suffer from the same problem when I downloaded and tried to install ADE version 1.7.1.  My O/S is Vista Business.

I find it absolutely incredible and completely unacceptable that Adobe has chosen to ignore this issue.  It is now 9 MONTHS since an Adobe person last commented on this thread.

I use a lot of Adobe software in my business and my respect and confidence in them has been severely undermined by their apparent indifference to this issue, which is causing grief to THOUSANDS of users.

Maybe it's because it's a 'freebie', they can't be assed to do anything about it?  Like many other people, I have PURCHASED EPUB-format ebooks THAT I CANNOT READ due to this problem.

ABOBE - SORT YOURSELVES OUT BECAUSE YOU ARE SERIOUSLY PISSING OFF A LOT OF PEOPLE!

• 41. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
          Rache1

I have a similar problem. How can I change the default folder? I presume from the posts above that we can't?

I don't like it when software dumps more folders in "My Documents", and I need the flexibility of an alternative location for backups. Every man and his dog is dumping stuff into My Documents these days. Soon we won't be able to recognise the folders we want in amongst all the folders dumped there by inflexible software packages.

• 42. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
            rickyhc Level 1

Adobe invented and has maintained the leading role of PDF documents. The Digital Editions reader is supposed to revolutionize the ebook industry. But the installtion process of this revolutionary software fails because of a bug that results in a message that says only "cannot find digital editions folder"

And by reading this thread in this forum I see the software team has been struggling with this bug for over TWO YEARS without solving it (at least on my computer running Vista). I tried creating a my digital editions folder in every place that had anything to do with "documents" on my computer under different users but the idiotic program still couldn't find it. I can only marvel that the "developers" of this software have not thought of letting the user point to the folder with a "browse to find folder" button should the automatic installation fail.

Oh, and the "submit a support ticket?" Yeah, well, I tried that, too, and got a message that their support ticket system wasn't working!

After trying to get Digital Editions to work for about an hour I uninstalled it.

• 43. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
              Lee555551 Level 1

Trouble is if you simply uninstall it there seems to be no other way that you can then read copy-protected books so you are losing a lot of the functionality of the ereader.

I managed to solve it in my own case (though no thanks to Adobe). My "documents" shortcut on the start menu was not working and it turned out this was because the registry key that controls it was pointiing at a drive that was switched off.  Would not allow me to change it by right clicking on the link or anything. I manually edited the registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal = "X:\) where X needs to be the C drive.  I could then configure the link normally, and presto the digital editions program then worked!

Would all have been so much easier if Adobe had actually produced some decent troubleshooting information, or given some options to control where this folder should be, or even just not been so fussy (everything else was happy with this link pointing to another drive!).

• 44. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                rickyhc Level 1

You are correct, the problem might concern the registry key for "My Documents" because my verison of Vista does not HAVE a My Documents folder in the registry. The microsoft help file explains that My Documents is now called documents (and no, Digital Editions does not work if I put the missing digital editions folder into Documents). The registry on this Vista computer does not have a My Documents key in the registry. I use another drive for all my Data anyway and never noticed.

I suppose that if I pointed a My Documents key at Documents it "might" work but now that I have uninstalled Digital Editions I would have to go through the whole download and installation process again because Adobe does not simply let me download the program so I can re-install it later (it is gone from the temp folder).

I have used Mobipocket for years and am perfectly happy with the Mobipocket ebook reader. It has never had a single problem, it's fast, easy and faultless for registering rights-protected books, and works like a dream on all my ebooks and my desktop.

I just thought I'd try the Adobe reader to see what it was like. And since it is such a meatball of a program I have no intention of plodding through the re-installation.

• 45. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                  jkhelp Level 1

Here's temporary help, at least for Vista users who store their "my documents" on a separate drive at the root (mine is "H:\").  In my examples I'll use "H:\" but you change it to your root.

Uninstall Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)

Create a new folder called H:\my digital editions

Click on Start button

Right click on Documents / select Properties

Click on "location" tab

Type in "H:\my digital editions"

Click "OK"

Important:  When the window asks whether to move content, say "NO" (o/w you'll waste a lot of time moving files)

Install Adobe Digital Editions

Use Adobe Digital Editions

Now, don't try multitasking, etc., because you've told your computer that your documents are someplace where they're not--this might cause problems

When you're done using ADE, close the program, then reverse the process:

Click on Start button

Right click on Documents / select Properties

Click on "location" tab

Type in "H:\"

Click "OK"

At this point, your computer's back to normal, but you can't use ADE.

This is cumbersome, but I think it works....

• 46. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                    Verd27 Level 1

Hi,

Please help. Every time I open digital editions, this message keeps appearing: Couldnot find Digital Editions Folder.

I have located the folder, it is sitting in My Documents, but when I want to open the books that are saved in it, this is the message that keeps appearing:

Error creating backup file: backup_manifest.xml
                    Error detail: Error #2038

The books come up as grey and cannot be opened.

Please help.

Kind Regards,

Vanessa

• 47. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                      jt olds Level 1

I don't know if this assists the software engineers debugging this issue, but I got this error in Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) running the Windows version of Digital Editions 1.7.2 through Wine (1.0.0-1ubuntu4~hardy1). The issue ended up being that I had Wine configured to map the My Documents folder to /home/jtolds instead of /home/jtolds/ (notice the trailing slash).

Could this be a simple path-joining issue regarding trailing slashes?

• 48. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                        jdvjcxkxkxkxksuijcn Level 1

As I write this, it is May, 2010 almost 3 years since the original post.

Using Vista Business on a standalone machine with no mystery drives.

Cannot find Digital Editions Folder.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, created the damned directory in every corner of the machine, launched digital editions from a file IN THE FOLDER, and it still can't find it.

Am I the only one remaining who as this problem?  Is the secret tinkering with the registry entries?  Is there anyone supporting this product?

I don't understand how Adobe is to be an ebook standard when it cannot run at a very basic level?

Is there a solution out there?

• 49. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                          Verd27 Level 1

Hi,

When I downloaded the upgrade for ADE (1.7.2), it now works brilliantly. No problems. Everything is accessible and so much faster.

Kind Regards,

Vanessa

• 50. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                            sddgjgdfjkjklsdlkjfdlkljk Level 1

My latest reinstall is version 1.7.2.1131.

It cannot find the folder.

Clearly not everyone is having this problem, or the software would cease to exist.  Still, an issue that has affected this many users over a period of 3 years should have a solution or at least a workaround.

Is there any other software that can handle Adobe content?

• 51. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                              ulib2010 Level 1

Though I am late to the party, I have exactly the same problem. I am on the latest built of DE using it on Mac OS X 10.6.2.

I have removed and reinstalled DE now for the fourth time all resulting in the same message.

This is very annoying and I am not sure where to add the "Folder" in OS X.

I could try to put it in User -> Library -> Application Support but the question remains what to name the folder.

Ideas please....!

Uli

• 52. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                Verd27 Level 1

Hi,

Since the upgrade, I have experienced no problems with DE. My folders are available to me.

Kind Regards,'

Vanessa

• 53. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                  ulib2010 Level 1

Vanessa,

if you're on Mac OSX are you able to give me the location of the folders and what they're named?

I have tried to place a folder in Application Support, but still no success.

Thanks.

• 54. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder

I am sure that there are many of us who have simply given up on Adobe.  

Workarounds may exist.   It should be assumed, though, that the ultimate consumer should not have to monkey with registry values, guess the location and test adding a mystery folder, or uninstall/reinstall using different patterns of folder rights to get a piece of off-the-shelf software to work.

Digital Editions does not offer a cure for cancer, does not unlock the secrets of the cosmos, and will not stem the forces of evil.  In short, I can choose to live without it and without Adobe.

As a software company, Adobe has a long way to go to find success.  For me, paper books will be just fine until an Adobe alternative comes along.

• 55. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                      ulib2010 Level 1

And another twist...

I installed DE on my MacBook Pro without trouble. Smart me, I checked the Application Support folder for DE and found that the installer created a folder named "Vouchers" which I did not have on my Mac Pro. I went back to my MacPro and created the same folder on this machine. Still doesn't work.

I then removed all DE files from my Mac Pro (Application Support files, Preferences, App file) emptied the trash and restarted. Copied the files and folders from the MBP to the MP hoping to finally make it work. Still not.

Removed all gain. Restarted again. Downloaded the "stand alone installer" and went on for the... I lost count... time.

Result. NOT WORKING.

I would like to use this feature on my main computer and would like to offer my clients some new feature. But it seems that free software is not as much supported as paid apps.

If somebody from the DE team reads this, please be so kind as to find a fix for this issue and post it right here. It's pretty annoying.

BTW. I saw in this thread a lot of issues with the Windows Version of DE. Am I the only Mac User who has these issues?

• 56. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                        Verd27 Level 1

Windows XP.

Regards,

Vanessa

• 57. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                          jape12002 Level 1

Same here...

• 58. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                            SytzeH Level 1

I'm running DE vs. 1.7.2 under Windows Vista Home Premium - still the same problem.

The workaround redirecting "Documents" to something like "D:\My Digitial Editions" works but it's of course very user unfriendly.

I really couldn't believe the issue still exists but it clearly does ...

Is there another version in the making?

• 59. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                              annevel Level 1

I've got the same problem with digital editions! Annoying me very much; have tried all mentioned options but nothing seems to get it right.

Adobe should really HELP us with this problem or is there anyone else who has the solution?

Can't use my BeBook this way. I use an Acer Aspire laptop with Vista Home premium

• 60. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                mzcj66 Level 1

Ok I see that it has been three years and still no solution. I am using Windows 7 and have downloaded the latest version of Digital Editions and I am getting the same error messgae as everyone else. I have tried all of the work arounds that have been suggested and it still says "Could not find Digital Editions folder."

Since I download my books from the public library I obviously can't wait three years fr this problem to be solved. Are there any others suggestions to get this to work other than the ones listed here?

• 61. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                  Xena_WP Level 1

Same here. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium. I've tried creating the folder in several places, but can't get it to work. I can't seem to get into Adobe support. It is pretty frustrating. I've got Adobe Creative Suite and expect more from Adobe. I'd let it go, but I really want to use epub from the library. I'm wondering if it has something to do with moving Documents to the D: partition.

• 62. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                    annevel Level 1

Hi,

I think it has to do with moving Documents to D-partition.

The temporary solution I found on the Adobe website in the forum is to do

the following:

Make a new folder: D:/mydigitaleditions

Then go to Start, rightclick Documents, then Qualities, tab Location

Type D:/mydigitaleditions

Then OK

When windows ask you to move folders answer NO

After that you install Adobe Digital Editions and it works!

After having used ADE you reverse the above and you will have your documents

back.

It still is a nuisance to do it this way, but up to now it is the only

sulution that works.

Success!

• 63. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                      Xena_WP Level 1

Thanks for the response. I just tried this solution but it did not work for me.

• 64. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                        Xena_WP Level 1

Thanks for the directions. This did work for me but this is pretty poor of Adobe not to have support on this issue.

• 65. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                          annevel Level 1

Glad you got it working, but you're right, It's very poor of Adobe not to

give us a proper solution!

• 66. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                            sudoku-san Level 1

I have been bitten by the same problem, and no solutions suggested above worked for me.

I'm running Vista, and had redirected "Documents" (Vista's version of "My Documents") to my E:/ drive.  Apparantly redirection of (My) Documents to a drive is too much for Adobe Digital Editions to deal with.  Creating new Documents folders in various places (such as E:/My Documents, etc) didn't help.

What DID WORK was to create a new user account on my computer, leaving the Documents folder for this user as created by Windows.  Then I logged in as this user and installed ADE.  It cleverly recognized the Documents folder, and is now working as desired.  Of course to use it I have to log on as the new user.

Hope this approach helps someone.

• 67. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                              annevel Level 1

Thanks very much for this new idea! I still think Aobe should fix the

problem, but for now this is a wonderful solution!

• 68. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                rickyhc Level 1

The very best solution for the buggy and not very useful Adobe Digital Editions is to  download the free Calibre ebook library/reader.

It can transform any ebook format from one format to another, including epub. Calibre has a great user friendly interface, downloads metadata and book covers from the Internet, and does everything else your heart could desire for maintaining and using your ebook library.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

• 69. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                  sudoku-san Level 1

Calibre looks great, but it won't open DRM protected books, and it apparantly can't handle.ascm files.  Below is taken from Calibre FAQ page.  Without some software able and willing to open .ascm files and download the related .epub file you can't get far with DRM protected books.  My public library was the instigator of my attempted use of Adobe Digital Editions, and I have "advised" them of my opinion of this software. 

I have now managed to get my Sony Reader software to process .ascm files, so I can borrow/purchase DRM-protected books and have Sony Reader download and store them in its "Reader Library".  So at this point I am able to avoid using Adobe Digital Editions by using the Sony Reader app.  But Calibre is of little added advantage, except if I find a need to convert ebook file formats.  For now, epub seems to be sufficient.

---- From Calibre FAQs-----------

Most purchased EPUB books have DRM. This prevents calibre from opening them. You can still use calibre to store and transfer them to your e-book reader. First, you must authorize your reader on a windows machine with Adobe Digital Editions. Once this is done, EPUB books transferred with calibre will work fine on your reader. When you purchase an epub book from a website, you will get an ”.acsm” file. This file should be opened with Adobe Digital Editions, which will then download the actual ”.epub” e-book. The e-book file will be stored in the folder “My Digital Editions”, from where you can add it to calibre.

• 70. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                    motorcyclemommy20 Level 1

I was having the same issue when downloading books from CBD.com.  "Could not find Digital Editions folder"  The problem was that I changed the path of my 'my docs' to a new location.

Here was my solution...

In the start menu on the right side the 2nd item down should be 'documents.'  I had renamed this to something else but it didn't change the outcome of the solution so if you changed it don't worry.

Right click and go to properties

Under the location tab, put in C:\Users\books\Documents (make sure this folder exists)

I then tried to download my books and it installed correctly and asked for my adobe info and downloaded the books perfectly...

I hope this helps someone.

Have a Blessed night,

Wendy

• 71. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                      pierre_o Level 1

January 17, 2011

It appears that this problem is alive and well. I am using Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, and have spent the best part of 2 days trying to address this bug. Jim,  is there an ADOBE verified solution to this problem ?

I'd suggest that this is a major impediment to the acceptance of Digital Editions in a consumer market. I am a tech savvy experienced user and have found this process extremely frustrating and unproductive. Is it time to ask for a refund for the PDF I have purchased and to ditch Digital Editions ?

Pierre O

• 72. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                        annevel Level 1

This problem exists for years already and ADOBE does not feel that they

should solve this apparently. After struggling with this problem for

days/weeks, I used the solution of someone else on the forum and that is to

make a new users account on your pc and install Digital Editions there. It

works for me!

Success!

Lineke

• 73. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                          sudoku-san Level 1

I got Adobe to work by creating a new account on my computer and installing Adobe there WITHOUT redirecting the Documents folder.  It seems Adobe can't handle redirected Documents folders.

I have been able to avoid using Adobe altogether by using my Sony Reader software.  This software can open .ascm files, which is what you get when downloading a DRM-protected ebook from the public library.  Maybe you have equivalent software which will let you avoid Adobe.  I agree that Adobe deserves to lose it's ebook customers based on its abominable support.

• 74. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                            annevel Level 1

Yes, that works for me too! Thanks

• 75. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder

I found the perfect solution.

1) Sold the Sony Reader,

2) Purged my system of Adobe products,

3) Bought a Kindle.

I no longer have problems with the Digital Editions folders.

• 76. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                                jsm28 Level 1

Here we are in June 2011 and this problem still exists.  I get that error. I've tried all the work-arounds in this forum with no positive results.

I use a PC running Windows 7.

Now what?

Please and thank you.

By the way, after all these years, shouldn't this be included in Adobe's "Known Issues" list for this product?

• 77. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                                  annevel Level 1

I don't know how it will work in Windows 7,but try a new useraccount specially for your e-reader, it might work! Success!

Verzonden vanaf mijn Sony Ericsson Xperia arc

jsm28 <forums@adobe.com>schreef:

>Here we are in June 2011 and this problem still exists.  I get that error. I've tried all the work-arounds in this forum with no positive results.

>I use a PC running Windows 7.

>Now what?

>Please and thank you.

>

• 78. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                                    jsm28 Level 1

Thanks.  I'll try that and report the results here.  I'll try it the next time I feel like dealing with this.

• 79. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                                                      Wendy_Palmer Level 1

I was also having this problem after a change to the network drive path to which my Documents folder pointed.

Lee555551 posted a potential solution way back: editing the registry by checking that HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \Shell Folders\Personal points to C (or the appropropriate drive). This did not work for me till I stumbled upon this Microsoft support page (ironically while trying to solve a similar problem with Adobe Reader):

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886549

where it specifies checking these two paths:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
                                                                                      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

DE now works for me. The MS support page includes a link to an automatic fix if you are not comfortable manually editing your registry.