10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 9:19 PM by nolajean

I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF

kylepounds Level 1
      I bought $350 worth of ebooks from ebooks.com so I could read them on my bebook (mybebook.com) and the files don't open on my bebook, so I tried to open them on my computer so I could convert them to another format, but my computer can't open the files. This is what happens:

1) A window comes up that says: This document can't be opened because it's ownership hasn't been established on this computer. But I bought the books on this computer! There are two choices that I can click: 1) I own it and copied it to this computer or restored it from a backup and 2) Someone else gave it to me and I would like to own it. I click number one and then click on a button that says "establish ownership".

2) Then another window comes up that says: You will now be taken to the adobe DRM activator website where you will get instructions on how to reactivate your Acrobat or Adobe reader to allow for sharing and restoring of documents. You must be connected to the internet for this. If not, cancel and try again later.

3) So I click OK and am taken to an Adobe page that says:

Here's the problem and how to solve it:
      You have tried to open an Digital Edition that was downloaded to another computer. You can open such a document on two computers only when you have activated Adobe Reader or Acrobat on both computers using the same Microsoft .NET Passport or Adobe ID.
      Problem: This computer and the computer to which the document was downloaded were activated using different .NET Passports or Adobe IDs.
      Solution: Return to the retailer, library, or other location where you acquired the document and obtain permission to open it on this computer.

I wrote ebooks.com and told them what was going on also, but I don't know if they will be able to help me because I downloaded the books to this computer.

Does anyone know what I can do to be able to open these PDF files?

Thanks,

Kyle Pounds
        • 1. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
          kylepounds Level 1
          Hello? Is there anyone out there?
          • 2. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
            Jim Lester Level 4
            Adobe Digital Editions doesn't support the BeBook, and the books are DRM protected so converting them to another format is also not possible or supported.

The only currently supported devices are the Sony Readers (505 and 700 models).

Although a number of additional companies have recently announced support for upcoming models.

--
            Jim Lester
            Adobe Systems
            • 3. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
              kylepounds Level 1
              I'm not interested in Digital Editions. Bebook supports PDF because it came with a lot of PDF books on it. It doesn't open the ebooks I bought. I am trying to figure out how to open my ebooks on my bebook. If I can't do that I would like to know how to open the ebooks in the PDF format so I can convert them to another format that bebook can read. Can you help me figure out how to open the ebooks in pdf and bypass digital editions?
              • 4. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                jcolonsr

Man...I am in the same boat!  I am trying to open files that I paid for in school and cannot open them but on one PC.  Which in fact is old and I want to be able to use these files. They are great sources and I paid like 100 dollars per book.  Why do these companies do this crap?  Adobe should be able to fix or find a fix for this.  This is unbelieveable!

• 5. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                  David32746

I'm having the same problem and I'm in my third iteration with Adobe Tech Support via e-mail.  They couldn't fix it and sent me to this forum to see if anyone else had fixed the problem themselves.

So does anyone have a solution yet?  Can these files be converted to regular pdf files that don't require Digital Editions?  It's a nice interface but the program doesn't work correctly.

Adobe's Digital Editions now prevents me from reading 4 out of 7 of my e-books.  Moreover, I can't believe there's no one at Adobe that can fix this problem.  Just as surprising is how little they seem to care.

I would appreciate some help if anyone has an answer.  This is really disheartening.

Thanks in advance,

David

• 6. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                    jcolonsr Level 1

David,

I have tried with Adobe myself but to no avail.  They are inconsiderate, and just downright rude and will not support the issues.  They claim it's because it's a free product. 

I am forced to keep an old computer for all of the books that I brought only because they will not open anywhere else.  I have seen alot of crap on the internet about how to conver them but none seem to be easy or successful.  I have alot of ebooks that just will not open anywhere else but that one pc.  I have tried just about everything.  I wish there was an easy hack to this issue.  I hate adobe.  I can't wait until there is some kind of law suit against them.   I will definately take part in every way I can.  Sorry for not having any better info on this. 

Jose  A. Colon

"Life without music would be a mistake"

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:11:04 -0600

To: josecolonsr@hotmail.com

Subject: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF

I'm having the same problem and I'm in my third iteration with Adobe Tech Support via e-mail.  They couldn't fix it and sent me to this forum to see if anyone else had fixed the problem themselves.

So does anyone have a solution yet?  Can these files be converted to regular pdf files that don't require Digital Editions?  It's a nice interface but the program doesn't work correctly.

Adobe's Digital Editions now prevents me from reading 4 out of 7 of my e-books.  Moreover, I can't believe there's no one at Adobe that can fix this problem.  Just as surprising is how little they seem to care.

I would appreciate some help if anyone has an answer.  This is really disheartening.

Thanks in advance,

David

>

• 7. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                      jeffinchiangmai

I see so many similar cases to mine. Surely these can't be the only ones. I bought many ebooks years ago. After changing laptop and PDA a couple of times, that was it. Seems like what I purchased disappeared into cyberspace. I tried and tried to get Adobe to respond but found it impossible. One time I was offered a service contract. I would have willingly paid the 200 USD to get my books back but I'm sure it would have been good money after bad.

I wrote to Amazon where I bought the ebooks but they only send advertisements and there's no way to contact them apart from getting a plane to the USA and turning up at their reception. Again, it probably wouldn't work.

So I decided a long time ago, I will only buy paper books. They are the same price and they don't disappear into cyberspace.

Wouldn't mind joining a "I hate Adobe club". Why? Because they robbed and cheated me.

• 8. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                        Joe Mayden

Moved to Windows 7 Adobe Reader was activated on

Computer - Attempted to open books from

Pocket Drive got the following error message:

How_to_Read_the_Bible_for_A.PDF:
                        Adobe DRM Error
                        System:  7
                        State:  4
                        Class:  15
                        Code:  31
                        Scroll below or view error.log for more details.
                        Your Adobe software could not be activated.
                        HTTP error on Adobe DRM Activator request.
                        Adobe DRM Activator error.
                        Client Code:  31 - HTTP Code:  555
                        Fault location:  15
                        --- end ---

• 9. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                          Jim Lester Level 4

It is no longer possible to activate Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to read PDFs protected with eBook style DRM, as the activation server has been decommisioned (for new activations on April 2009 - for transfers to Digital Editions on Dec 2009)

If you wish to view these files you must either:

1.) Use Adobe Acrobat/Adobe Reader (version 7 or below) that you have already actived

2.) Use Adobe Digital Editions where you can already view the content (migration is no longer possible)

3.) Ask the place where you purchased the content to allow you to redownload the file (using Adobe Digital Editions)

• 10. Re: I can't open my ebooks which are in PDF
                            nolajean

These are fine suggestions IF;

a) the online retailer still holds your downloads. Amazon ceased providing library back-up in preparation for Kindle;

b) you could download and open Adobe Reader 7 on newer OS and not be forced to use 9.

Your digital rights protection is brilliant unfortunately your consumer protection rights are CRAP