• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Annotations not saved!

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2007 Jul 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My annotations have disappeared from my ebook! I have one idea that it might be because my internet connection was coming on and off a bit yesterday but surely it should warn me if it has gone into offline mode or something...does it need to be connected to the internet to save annotations? I'm trying to do a Phd and if I can't trust that my annotations won't be lost this tool is totally useless to me...what am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2007 Aug 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The annotations that you make are stored in a folder called Annotations in the My Digital Editions directory. They are in XML format. Open this folder to see if there are annotation files inside (they will have the same name as the eBook you annotated, except with a .xml extention). Since all annotations are stored locally, a faulty internet connection should have no effect on your ability to save the annotations. (Assuming you are a local user, not on roaming profile)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2007 Aug 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar problem, but the XML files are in place, so that's not an issue. I've uninstalled and re-installed DE, and tried 4 different PDF files. I annotate each one, verify that the annotations work during the current sesssion, and then exit. When I start DE again, none of the annotations are shown, even though the XML files are apparently correct. ....argh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2007 Nov 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Downloaded a book, highlighted segments, quit, reopened, the highlights were still there. So spent two hours highlighting and underlining. Quit out of program - reopened - and ALL the NEW highlighting, etc, had disappeared, but the OLD stuff (just a couple of pages) remained. Curious! However, MAY have found a solution that you might try (do test it thoroughly though). Now I'm on Mac (Leopard), so assuming our settings and window displays are the same: After you've done your highlighting, go to DOCUMENTS in the menu bar, then to COMMENTS then to EXPORT FILES and on the drop-down 'Format' menu, CHOOSE 'Acrobat XFDF Files'. So far, my exported file has RETAINED ALL ANNOTATIONS... but who knows, tomorrow might be different. And to quote from Shakespeare in Love: "It's a mystery..."
Cheers - Randal Flynn

P.S. I have NO Annotations Folder in 'My Digital Editions'... What does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2007 Nov 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leopard is NOT yet supported. Can the other two people reporting this problem give us more info on type of computer, OS version? You do NOT have to be online. I am assuming you did exit the app properly (no crash or force quit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ric,
I am using a PC -windows XP professional edition. After the response from Piotr Kula I checked the My digital editions folder and I couldn't see any xml files -there wasn't a folder called annotations there. There were .fdf files there which contained annotations which I think I made using Adobe reader. After that I just didn't bother using digital editions for a while. But when I got your response today I just annotated again in digital editions and when I reopened the file the annotation was there. In My digital editions an annotations folder had appeared and the xml file was there. But why didn't it work before? I did exit the app properly. It would be nice if it was a bit like word where if you make changes you can click save and actually witness that the file has been created before you close the program (or your computer crashes!) and you potentially lose changes. Also wondered if it is something to do with the flash player settings and the settings about how much local can store on your computer -mines set to 100kb at the moment.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Georgina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2009 Feb 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi All,
I am new to annotations.. I need an example how to
Annotate an PDF and save the annotations.

Thanks and Regards
Aditya Marla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines