• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a link in FrameMaker8 to download a zip file ?

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone

I am trying to create a hyperlink from a FrameMaker 8 file to download a zip file.

Can anyone tell me what command/structure I am supposed to use ?

cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half an answer seems to be "message openfile {filename}".

Only half an answer, unfortunately, since (at least on my XP box at the office) this then throws up an alert about opening the app associated with .zip files - no "download" option. I'll watch the thread with interest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2008 Aug 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean:

Assuming that the link will open in a Web browser, I suspect a "Go to URL" Hypertext link will work just fine.

The browser receives the link, automatically arbitrates the URL as a file to be downloaded rather than a Web page, and responds with the "Save As" dialog box...(?)

That is to say that the URL behaves no differently than if you were to click on a link to a downloadable ZIP file from within a Web browser...(?)

Cheer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm - good point, Riley. Hadn't tried Go to URL, though I realise now this is simply because I forgot to ignore the dire warnings about "not a FrameMaker file" :-}

However, now I have made the experiment:
* opening the .pdf directly in Acrobat and clicking on the link opens the .zip application immediately - still no "download/open" option

* opening the .pdf through a browser puzzlingly netts me "The file ///C:/tempo/mup55lin.tgz cannot be found. Please check the location and try again." Needless to say, the file in question is right there where it should be ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your help.

I have just tried selecting the Special > Hypertext and using the 'Go to URL' command, then typing in the zip filename (shellSFC.zip).

I get a message saying this is not a 'recognised hypertext command'.

What am I forgetting to do ?

I did continue to create the pdf but the link didn't work !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2008 Aug 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must provide a valid URL, that is, an Internet-style path to your file:
http://somewhere.com/some/path/file.zip
or
file://some/path/file.zip where "some/path" could include a drive letter
on a Windows system, but you may have to replace colon with "|".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2008 Sep 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks everyone, but I still can't open the zip file that is local to the pdf, what am I doing wrong ?

Special > Hypertext, use 'Go to URL', type

message URL file:ShellSFC.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2008 Sep 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean:

How about file:///path/to/filename.zip?

Spaces in the pathname may be a problem, possibly resolvable with quotation marks(?)

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone
just tried

message URL file:///path/to/ShellSFC.zip

as a link from a source framemaker file to create a link in a pdf file to ShellSFC.zip file but it didn't work.

It opened a internet explorer window a displayed a message saying it couldn't find that URL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Many thanks to everyone who tried helping but I think I have resolved this to everyones satisfaction.

I used the Message Client command and the following syntax
'b' message openfile ShellSFC.zip

This opens the required zip file

once again many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines