2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2006 12:18 PM by LLuis12

Sequentially loading images into a holder

LLuis12 Level 1
      Hi

I am completely new to Flash and all help is greatly apreciated!!

I have a rectangle symbol (holder1) which I have made stretch and shrink as though it is spining around an axis running from the top to bottom of the screen. (IE in and out of the page)

I want to load up an image into the holder and then, when the holder has spun 180 I want a second image to replace it.

I have got the first image to load, using code from one of the tutorials but I dont know how to make it change.

The change needs to be triggered every 240 frames.

Ideally I want it to select a random image from a selection and to act as a button that does to a different action depending on what image is displayed when it is clicked.

My code is as follows:
      var image0uri:String = "images/toro0.gif";
      var image1uri:String = "images/toro1.gif";
      var image2....etc

var currImage:Number = 0;
      var totalImages:Number = 7;

loadMovie(this["image"+(currImage)+"uri"],"holder1")
        • 1. Re: Sequentially loading images into a holder
          Level 7
          Not sure the specific questions but if you have potential delay with loading
          external swf movies which will prevent guarantee of continuous play. You may
          want at least two holders so the next image can be loaded and ready to go
          before it is needed on a frame's notice. If you always have 7 images, then I
          would go with 7 holders.

With two you load the next image alternately into the non active holder so
          it will be ready when needed. You can use the _visible property to hide and
          show the holders as you hit your swap point. You would need to set the
          rotation of the next holder just before you make it visible.

--
          Lon Hosford
          www.lonhosford.com
          Flash, Actionscript and Flash Media Server examples:
          http://flashexamples.hosfordusa.com
          May many happy bits flow your way!
          "LLuis12" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:ei2ikc$7hg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi
          >
          > I am completely new to Flash and all help is greatly apreciated!!
          >
          > I have a rectangle symbol (holder1) which I have made stretch and shrink
          > as
          > though it is spining around an axis running from the top to bottom of the
          > screen. (IE in and out of the page)
          >
          > I want to load up an image into the holder and then, when the holder has
          > spun
          > 180 I want a second image to replace it.
          >
          > I have got the first image to load, using code from one of the tutorials
          > but I
          > dont know how to make it change.
          >
          > The change needs to be triggered every 240 frames.
          >
          > Ideally I want it to select a random image from a selection and to act as
          > a
          > button that does to a different action depending on what image is
          > displayed
          > when it is clicked.
          >
          > My code is as follows:
          > var image0uri:String = "images/toro0.gif";
          > var image1uri:String = "images/toro1.gif";
          > var image2....etc
          >
          >
          >
          > var currImage:Number = 0;
          > var totalImages:Number = 7;
          >
          >
          > loadMovie(this["image"+(currImage)+"uri"],"holder1")
          >

• 2. Re: Sequentially loading images into a holder
            LLuis12 Level 1
            Thanks for your reply. I didn't realise what a rabbit hole this is!

My question is simply how does one make an image load on to a moviesymbol in flash, and then 240 frames later to load a second image onto that same symbol, and so on.

Since the original post I have made two symbols. "holder1" and "holder1b" They both start behind a black rectangle. First 'holder1' stretches out sideways and comes back in. then hoder1b does the same action. Through tween and ease It makes a fairly realistic effect of spinning.

My actionscript is, as recommended in the tutorial, in frame 1 of its own layer in scene 1.
            I am using loadMovie(this["image0uri"],"spinning_spinner_wheel1.holder1")
            to load the image
            the trouble is if I load a picture onto it I can only do it if the symbol exists in frame 1. As holder1b doesnt appear until frame 240 it doesnt load its image. If I make it exist in frame 1 then as it is above holder1's layer, it appears throughout holder1's 'turn' .

How would you go about achievng my objective? THANKS A LOT

PS. My images are small (75 x 75 px (1.8 Kb)) so I dont think I need to worry about loading the next image.