5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 5:37 AM by jdldn

site made locally on mac copied to pc, issue with file names

jdldn Level 1
      Im on mac and ive zipped up a site to be sent to someone so they can modify some the images used. They are on PC and some of the image files arnt recognized, until they manually type in the .jpg extension. Ive also tried copying the files to my other computer, which is a PC, and I get the same issue.

Does anyone know why this is happening? If I get the person the files have been send to to add the .jpg extension, and they copy the files back into my local site, will dreamweaver recognize them ok?

thanks
        • 1. Re: site made locally on mac copied to pc, issue with file names
          Level 7
          Instead of zipping, sendin, unzipping. Why don't you try enabling Windows
          File Sharing on Mac
          and then have the user connect directly to your Mac and download them from
          there.

Better if the site you are using is on the web just let Dreamweaver do the
          download and enable file checkcin check out.

Otherwise I don't know cause I use to transfer file from PC to MAC and vice
          versa and never had a problem like yours

Hope this help
          aka Frenchy asp

"jdldn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:geabgk$sqp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Im on mac and ive zipped up a site to be sent to someone so they can
          > modify
          > some the images used. They are on PC and some of the image files arnt
          > recognized, until they manually type in the .jpg extension. Ive also tried
          > copying the files to my other computer, which is a PC, and I get the same
          > issue.
          >
          > Does anyone know why this is happening? If I get the person the files have
          > been send to to add the .jpg extension, and they copy the files back into
          > my
          > local site, will dreamweaver recognize them ok?
          >
          > thanks
          >

• 2. Re: site made locally on mac copied to pc, issue with file names
            Level 7
            > Does anyone know why this is happening

It's a basic difference between MacOS and PCs. On the Mac, files don't need
            extensions. On the PC, and on the web, files DO need extensions. You will
            need to RENAME all of these extensionless files in DW's Files panel, allow
            DW to manage the links and then stuff/zip the files for your friend.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

news:geabgk$sqp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Im on mac and ive zipped up a site to be sent to someone so they can
            > modify
            > some the images used. They are on PC and some of the image files arnt
            > recognized, until they manually type in the .jpg extension. Ive also tried
            > copying the files to my other computer, which is a PC, and I get the same
            > issue.
            >
            > Does anyone know why this is happening? If I get the person the files have
            > been send to to add the .jpg extension, and they copy the files back into
            > my
            > local site, will dreamweaver recognize them ok?
            >
            > thanks
            >

• 3. Re: site made locally on mac copied to pc, issue with file names
              jdldn Level 1
              If I add the .jpg while not in dreamweaver, will the links still work in the site?

Also, when i FTP up the site is seems to work fine on both pc and mac. Does the server have its own 'OS' or something similar that makes it work?
              • 4. Re: site made locally on mac copied to pc, issue with file names
                Level 7
                > If I add the .jpg while not in dreamweaver, will the links still work in
                > the
                > site?

No. If you do anything to change a filename outside of DW, your links will
                break.

> Also, when i FTP up the site is seems to work fine on both pc and mac.
                > Does
                > the server have its own 'OS' or something similar that makes it work?

Browsers read and render HTML. That's it. HTML is HTML in any operating
                system.

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

news:gec5ct$i64$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > If I add the .jpg while not in dreamweaver, will the links still work in
                > the
                > site?
                >
                > Also, when i FTP up the site is seems to work fine on both pc and mac.
                > Does
                > the server have its own 'OS' or something similar that makes it work?
                >
                >

• 5. Re: site made locally on mac copied to pc, issue with file names
                  jdldn Level 1
                  thanks a lot. guess ive got a bunch of renaming to do!