10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2009 6:02 PM by enriquevw RSS

How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?

rcraighead MVP
      The client wants individual AI compatible PDF files saved from my multi-page AI documents. How can I automate that task? I can open the file in Acrobat Pro and export separate pages, but when I open any of the pages in AI, all the pages are still there (even though they appear as 1 page in Acrobat). The same thing is true in AICS4. If I choose "Use Art Boards" and select a single page from the AI PDF options the artwork for the other pages doesn't go away, it just gets hidden when viewed in Acrobat.
        • 1. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
          Areeb.Ahmad Community Member
          Hi Ray

If you want to save only a range of artboards to PDF and want Ai to show only those artboards when that PDF is opened, you need to save the PDF without Illustrator editing capabilities because unless you do that Ai is always gonna open the PDF file with all the artboards.
          ie. According to my knowledge individual artbaords in an ai file cannot be saved as AI compatible PDF files. If this is done Ai will open the PDF with all the artboards.
          If you find a way to do that, i would really like to know

:)
          • 2. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
            NotInUse Community Member
            Very interesting. I'm seeing the same behavior here.

I would lean towards calling it a bug or simply unexpected behavior.

Looks like all you can do is copy/paste a single artboard into a new file and save a PDF.
            • 3. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
              Wade S Zimmerman Community Member
              Here's the problem in saving as a pdf it seems at least on my Mac that you can only save as Adobe PDF as Acrobat 8 as the highest, at lest on my Mac.

But if you Print to pdf then you can print to Acrobat 9 and only to 9 and that will give you a single page document both in Illustrator and Acrobat but there is no way to print the pages as individual pdf documents except one at a time at least not without a script. I am not certain that would work either.

There really should be a way to export pages separately with one command.

I would say not having Acrobat 9 as an option in the save as pdf would be a bug.
              • 4. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                rcraighead MVP
                Thanks for the responses. It looks like I have 3 option:
                1. Cut-n-paste each page into a new, single-page document (this keeps editing capabilities intact, but is time-consuming).
                2. Use Acrobat "Extract Pages" feature, then save as "Optimized" PDF format (this loses AI editing capabilities, but deletes extra pages).
                3. Use Acrobat "Extract Pages" feature and let the extra page information remain in the file (InDesign sees only one page when placing, but file remains fully editable - although larger than necessary and a bit confusing because information my be duplicated in several documents and, when opened in CS4, they will look identical).

I think #1 is the best choice for me.
                • 5. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                  Doug Katz Community Member
                  This is actually a variation on an old problem extending back to when I migrated from FreeHand to AI (AI10). The visibility of objects and/or layers has nothing to do with what is saved as PDF.

So, for example, if I have 4 layers of art, I make three invisible, then Save As PDF, all four layers are present (though invisible) in the PDF.

The solution I found is not one of your three Ray, because I often don't want the invisible artwork present in the PDF at all... not for security or privacy reasons, but because of file bulk. So before I save, I temporarily DELETE the artwork I don't want, Save As PDF, then undo. It's cumbersome -- saves no time over your options -- but it does keep file size to a minimum.

I just got CS4, but given your post, I'm imagining it will be the same with artboards for me. Probably something like, select all on the page I want to export (command-option-A), inverse selection, delete, save as PDF, undo.

Ucch.
                  • 6. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                    rcraighead MVP
                    Doug,

Your option is similar to my option 1, but in CS4 I don't know how to quickly delete multiple artboards along with its artwork, so I just chose to cut-n-paste into a new document. It was very disappointing to spend hours doing this on the first big job I did in CS4. For the most part I've been very pleased with CS4, but this limitation might make me rethink my workflow. I'd like to talk the client into accepting a single PDF (since IND can place multi-page PDFs), but they have their reasons and it is not an unreasonable request.
                    • 7. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                      Doug Katz Community Member
                      Well here's an interesting thing. I saved a multi-artboard document as PDF, leaving all the artboards and their artwork in place, but I specified only one artboard for output in the dialog. Then I saved as PDF a second time, this time deleting all the other artboards and artwork. I SAVED BOTH FILES WITHOUT AI COMPATIBILITY.

Both were exactly the same file size. Both contained only the artboard I'd saved.

So, in this case, artboards act more in line with expectation than layers.
                      • 8. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                        Virus Print

I'm very surprised that no on has mentioned using 3rd party open source projects like pdfSam to work around this. Frankly short of adobe directly integrating this kind of feature I can't imagine it getting better than this.

Here's what I do:

1. First Download and install pdfSam (It's a great free open source project)

a) Download Here http://www.pdfsam.org/?page_id=32

2. Save you Artboards as a complete .pdf via AICS4

3. You should now have your PDF file with all your Artboards smashed into one .pdf

4. Open up PDF Split (pdfSam) > Load your desired PDF and click Split!

5. Done (actual time to split takes less than 10-30 secs, may very if PDF's are very large)

And Presto! Every single page is now it's own PDF

~Your Friends at VirusPrint.net

ENJOY!

• 9. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                          enriquevw

Wow, great resource. Thank you, saved and noted.

• 10. Re: How to export separate PDF pages from a multi-page AICS4 file?
                            Virus Print Community Member

You're very welcome! Hope this shaves time off your projects!

~VirusPrint.net