2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 5:36 PM by Ty_Gordon

Beginner in need of help

Ty_Gordon
      Hey everyone,
      I've been designing a website for my business ( http://www.losthorizontreks.com). I don't have any previous web design experience and am learning as I go. I am happy with the site layout and the way it works, but all of the text is in jpeg form, which means search engines are limited to the page titles. Is there a way to keep the layout but make the text searchable by the engines? Does the question make sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ty
        • 1. Re: Beginner in need of help
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: Ty Gordon
          Hey everyone,
          I've been designing a website for my business ( http://www.losthorizontreks.com). I don't have any previous web design experience and am learning as I go. I am happy with the site layout and the way it works, but all of the text is in jpeg form, which means search engines are limited to the page titles. Is there a way to keep the layout but make the text searchable by the engines? Does the question make sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ty

Yes, the question makes perfect sense.

Fireworks is a graphics program. The HTML that Fireworks produces is intended for prototypes - quick examples you can show people to see if you're on the right track with a design. The Fireworks HTML is not robust enough to use for a production site. What you want to do is use either a program that's designed for creating robust HTML (such as Dreamweaver) or learn to write HTML by hand in a text editor. It isn't really that hard.

What you have now is a mess. It would be impossible to maintain. Just looking at your file info%20links.HTML is a nightmare. It doesn't need to look like that...and it shouldn't. (Also, naming conventions. That %20 is what happens to spaces in your file name. It's better to remove spaces or use hyphens instead. Underscores are okay, but they tend to get lost if a file name is also a link and becomes underlined. Use lowercase for file extensions.)

Even if you have Dreamweaver or another Web authoring program, you really ought to learn what it is you're doing. Check out
          this earlier thread for some recommendations.

Good luck!
          • 2. Re: Beginner in need of help
            Ty_Gordon Level 1
            Thanks, Lorraine. That definitely made things clearer. Like I said, I'm learning as I go and I definitely just learned a bunch. Thanks again.