5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 9:45 AM by

frames advice

I've inherited a site from another designer built with frames. It also seems to have table cells inside the frames. Is this a good idea? My first task is to pull off some discontinued items and repair some links. I have license to rebuild the site eventually. Any advice on whether I stick with the frames or rebuild without them? Most of the feedback I've received from this forum says to avoid frames. The site is www.ronfisher.com. Check it out--I'm open to advice on how to proceed.

• 1. Re: frames advice
          Level 7
          No frames there.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"mustangdesigner" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:geflre$f6j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I've inherited a site from another designer built with frames. It also
          > seems
          > to have table cells inside the frames. Is this a good idea? My first
          > task is
          > to pull off some discontinued items and repair some links. I have license
          > to
          > rebuild the site eventually. Any advice on whether I stick with the
          > frames or
          > rebuild without them? Most of the feedback I've received from this forum
          > says
          > to avoid frames. The site is www.ronfisher.com. Check it out--I'm open to
          > advice on how to proceed.
          >
          >
          >

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: frames advice
            Level 7

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
            news:gefmtf$ggd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > No frames there.

also no text there - it's all images.

However, once you get into the "products" area, there are some iFrames.

• 3. Re: frames advice
              Sorry, guys. Yes, the home page is just an image but across the bottom are the links to all the product lines. Any of those links will lead you to the pages I really have to deal with. I did notice they were referred to as iframes but I'm not sure about the difference.

• 4. Re: frames advice
                Level 7
                > Sorry, guys. Yes, the home page is just an image but across the bottom are
                > the
                > links to all the product lines. Any of those links will lead you to the
                > pages
                > I really have to deal with. I did notice they were referred to as iframes
                > but
                > I'm not sure about the difference.

It appears they took a print catalogue and chopped it up and put it online.

For now, I'd just maintain it as-is, but then rethink the redesign into a
                more web-centric solution.

-Darrel

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: frames advice
                  I agree, this is an on-line catalog. For now I'm just trying to figure out how he built it. I assumed because of the internal scroll bars and the static URL for each page in the catagory that is was frames, but no frames show up in the frames list. If this is just a table, how does one end up with the scroll bars--yes, I'm very new at this.

For right now, I just need to learn how to pull several items off the site and add a couple new ones. No content shows up in design view, just the borders. Items and scroll bars are only visible in preview. How do I remove items? There must be a seperate menu that controls the links in each frame or cell. I'm more than willing to read the Adobe on-line help if I even knew which area I should be reading through.

Also, if you have any suggestions of other sites that are more web-friendly in getting catalog content on the web, I'd love to browse some other sites.