11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2008 2:27 AM by Stephen Cox

DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve

Paevo Kelley Level 2
      I'd be interested in knowing how long it took those who have purchased the latest version of DW to get used to the GUI... Do you find yourselves yearning for the old GUI?...
        • 1. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
          Level 7
          "Paevo Kelley" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gesdcn$564$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'd be interested in knowing how long it took those who have purchased the
          > latest version of DW to get used to the GUI... Do you find yourselves
          > yearning for the old GUI?...

There is a "Classic" choice available for those wanting to mitigate some of
          the UI convention violations in the application. Unfortunately, nothing can
          be done to alleviate the Extension Manager interface issues. I guess some
          folks apply accessibility and usability standards only to web pages and not
          to web development applications :-)

--
          Al Sparber - PVII
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fully Automated Menu Systems | Galleries | Widgets
          http://www.projectseven.com/go/Elevators

• 2. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
            Level 7
            30 seconds....

> Do you find yourselves yearning for the old GUI?...

Not for a minute.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

news:gesdcn$564$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'd be interested in knowing how long it took those who have purchased the
            > latest version of DW to get used to the GUI... Do you find yourselves
            > yearning for the old GUI?...

• 3. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
              JohnPhilip
              Its gonna take me a LOOOONG time I think!
              Switching between Code view and design view and then there is a handy CSS view, which then it splits the view and then you switch to code view and you get css and then have to click the "source code" again. AAAARG Its gets so muddling. ...although is real clever, its going to take a while to get the hang of it.
              ...and then for some reason I can't remember how to get the properties panel docked to the top again. Feels so wrong stuck at the bottom or docked to the sides.
              • 4. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                Paevo Kelley Level 2
                "30 seconds...."

I'm unfortunately a much more intuition-based (i.e. stubborn) thinker than you, Murray...
                • 5. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                  Paevo Kelley Level 2
                  "Unfortunately, nothing can
                  be done to alleviate the Extension Manager interface issues."

What issues? I hadn't heard about this?
                  • 6. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                    Level 7
                    news:getd6n$i55$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > "Unfortunately, nothing can
                    > be done to alleviate the Extension Manager interface issues."
                    >
                    > What issues? I hadn't heard about this?

It's a Flash/Air application now and there is no support for mouse wheel
                    scrolling and Adobe's half-arsed keyboard navigation support. It incenses me
                    to think someone could sign off on such an interface. Plus it's slow - even
                    slower than Dreamweaver.

--
                    Al Sparber - PVII

• 7. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                      Level 7
                      That's even more reason that this upgrade is looking less and less appealing
                      all the time.

• 8. Re: DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                        allpar
                        How do you get to this Classi cmode?
                        • 9. DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                          Stephen Cox Level 1
                          Easy. Go to Windows > Workspace Layout > Classic.

This is true on both Windows and Mac. I suggest you watch one of the videos concerning the GUI. Everything is there from CS3 just in different places. On Windows I love it. On Mac, it took me an hour or so to get used to it. I do like it more then previous versions. But that's not saying much, since I think Adobe's UI's have always been a joke on Mac.
                          • 10. DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                            Stephen Cox Level 1
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                            That's even more reason that this upgrade is looking less and less appealing
                            all the time.

Actually Live view and Code Navigator did it for me. Those alone are worth the upgrade, IMHO. There are other things. But really, wait for the trial and download it. If you like it buy it, if not use CS3.

I have to admit though, the Extension Manager UI is a joke (on Mac and Windows). Really. Looks like someone at Adobe wanted to release something "cool" rather then useful. I mean it works, just not as well as it should.

I think Adobe is trying to maintain one code base for both Windows and Mac. But, unless they move everything to something like Eclipse [Java] (like they did with Flex) - good luck. What they should do is release a coca-based UI. And I mean a real Mac UI. Look at Coda or iWork or something, to see examples of what i am talking about.

But I doubt Adobe will ever do this. So we are stuck. Deal with it. ;)
                            • 11. DWCS4 GUI Learning Curve
                              Stephen Cox Level 1
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                              news:getd6n$i55$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > "Unfortunately, nothing can
                              > be done to alleviate the Extension Manager interface issues."
                              >
                              > What issues? I hadn't heard about this?

It's a Flash/Air application now and there is no support for mouse wheel
                              scrolling and Adobe's half-arsed keyboard navigation support. It incenses me
                              to think someone could sign off on such an interface. Plus it's slow - even
                              slower than Dreamweaver.

--
                              Al Sparber - PVII

What I don't get, is just because it's a Flash app (probably done in Flex - so I expect Adobe will release the code as a Flex example soon) doesn't mean it has to not function right. That's my whole problem with Flex -vs- Curl (RIA's app builders). Flex looks good and you can make stunning apps with it, but if you want to connect to a database back-end (easily) or use SQLite or need security you better off with Curl. Curl apps look like crap (compared to Flash apps. Curl apps look like old dBase apps from the early 90's) but they are more "industrial".

I think Adobe is spending far too much time on their version of look and feel. Where they should be spending time on function and performance.

Just curious, what kind of machine you running Al? I have a Mac Pro (4 core) and a bad-*** gaming rig that m running CS4 on. And I don't notice it any slower then CS3. Is it that I'm just running it on high-end machines?