12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 11:43 AM by Lena P

Strange looking menu FW CS4

Lena P Level 1
      The menues in fireworks CS4 looks very strange. I have tried to reinstall with no luck.

The error: http://www.web2d2.com/fireworks-menu.jpg

What might be the problem?

/ Lena
        • 1. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
          ArunKaza Adobe Employee
          Hi Lena,

Did you try quitting the app and deleting the preferences file to see if it solves the problem?
          Navigate to the following folder on your machine and delete the "Fireworks CS4" folder. Now re-launch the application and then check it you are able to see the menu's properly.

Win: C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Adobe\
          Mac: [User Name]\Library\Preferences\

Thanks,
          Arun
          • 2. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
            Dave Hogue Level 2
            Lena,

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like a font error - this is often how non-Western fonts look when the application language is set to one for which you do not have the font. Are you using an English-language version of Fireworks? Have you tried to to go into Edit > Preferences > Type and selected "Display Font Names in English" to see if that helps?

Hopefully someone else on here has seen this and knows what to do.
            • 3. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
              Lena P Level 1
              Thank you for your answers, but neither of your ideas did it for me! Something else has to be wrong.

/ Lena
              • 4. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                Can you check if your Themes and Appearance for the Windows OS display proper?
                1. Go to Control Panel and open the Display properties.
                2. Switch to the Appearance tab and choose a default color scheme with normal font size. Now select the Advanced settings option.
                3. And select the Item drop down as "Menu". Set the font as "Tahoma", apply the settings and re-start the application.

--Arun
                • 5. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                  ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                  What is the current keyboard settings set to when you launch Fireworks? You can find that by going to Edit-->Keyboard Settings option in FW. By default Current set is shown as Web Standard.
                  The xml file for the same is located at: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS4\[App language eg English]\Keyboard Shortcuts\
                  If your xml files are corrupted then also you may sometimes see such kind of junk characters. Try this out the see if it works.

--Arun
                  • 6. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                    Level 7
                    Lena,

I have the same problem and I have FW CS3. Since everything works fine,
                    I've let it be...but it is strange. Not sure when it started, but I know it
                    wasn't there at the original installation of CS3. No desire to
                    install/uninstall but am curious if anyone else has experienced this and
                    what the solution was?

--
                    Kelley Rao, Webeze
                    ------------------------------------
                    Website Planning Guide for Developers
                    http://www.web-eze.com/dwpg.html
                    ------------------------------------

"Lena P" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gf6e0g$oh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > The menues in fireworks CS4 looks very strange. I have tried to reinstall
                    > with no luck.
                    >
                    > The error: http://www.web2d2.com/fireworks-menu.jpg
                    >
                    > What might be the problem?
                    >
                    > / Lena

• 7. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                      Lena P Level 1
                      Sorry, have tried also both above suggestions with no luck. I did already have Tahoma font and/but when I change the keyboard shortcuts in FW the strange symbols change depending what I choose. But there are stíll strange symbols.

/ Lena
                      • 8. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                        Level 7
                        Lena P wrote:
                        > The menues in fireworks CS4 looks very strange. I have tried to reinstall with no luck.
                        >
                        > The error: http://www.web2d2.com/fireworks-menu.jpg
                        >
                        > What might be the problem?
                        >
                        > / Lena
                        >
                        FWIW, I have the same problem with Fireworks CS4 and have not been able
                        to find a solution. It doesn't seem to affect how anything works, but it
                        also makes it hard to learn the keyboard shortcuts :-).

- Doug
                        • 9. Strange looking menu FW CS4
                          YthanB
                          I also have this issue with Fireworks CS4. I tried a complete uninstall and even used the CS4 and CS3 clean scripts, but the problem remained when I reinstalled. Maybe those of us who are experiencing this problem have a common factor in our setups? I'm posting a HijackThis log from my system, perhaps you guys could do the same?
                          • 10. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                            Lena P Level 1
                            Issue solved!

I have a graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, and had downloaded and installed the absolutely latest driver from NVIDIAS website. Then I had this problem. Now I decided to install the driver from Microsoft Update instead (even though this driver was from an earlier date....), after that installation it looks just fine in Fireworks??!!

/ Lena
                            • 11. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                              YthanB Level 1
                              Hi Lena,

I saw your post but I almost didn't bother to pursue it. I have an Intel 855GM display adapter, not a GeForce, and frankly this solution just didn't make any sense to me. How could a video driver affect the drop-down menus in an application? It seems absurd.

But later on in the night I decided to give it a shot. Like you, I have the latest drivers, but Windows Update showed a driver from an earlier date. And to my astonishment, once I "updated" to these earlier drivers, the problem was fixed just like you said!

A Google search for "adobe fireworks corrupt menu" shows that there have been a lot of people with this problem, and while a few solutions were suggested, none of them ever seemed to work. It appears that you solved the mystery - thank you, and congratulations! You should get a job with Adobe support. ;)

If anyone else is still experiencing this problem, it doesn't matter what you think you know about video drivers or how unlikely this fix seems, I encourage you to give it a try. So far the success rate is two for two! I thank you again Lena, for some reason this type of thing bugs me out of all proportion to its actual impact on usability, but now I can use Fireworks happily again. :)

Best regards,

-Y
                              • 12. Re: Strange looking menu FW CS4
                                Lena P Level 1

Hi!
                                Thank you so much! I could not believe it myself, but obviously that is the solution!
                                Regards - Lena