9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2006 5:15 AM by Menthol_Man

Lego game

Menthol_Man
      Hey everyone, i need help. I am creating a mini lego game for college and i want it so i have different colour pieces running down the side of the screen so when you click and drag, say, an orange one its still on the side of the screen, but i can now use it to build something. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Lego game
          Menthol_Man Level 1
          Anyone? There must be some way.
          • 2. Re: Lego game
            Menthol_Man Level 1
            Please?
            • 3. Re: Lego game
              Level 7

"Menthol Man" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:efufms$gc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hey everyone, i need help. I am creating a mini lego game for college and
              > i
              > want it so i have different colour pieces running down the side of the
              > screen
              > so when you click and drag, say, an orange one its still on the side of
              > the
              > screen, but i can now use it to build something. Any ideas?
              >

First off, you don't need to keep pleading for help by replying to your
              post. People see it, and if someone knows the answer they are more likely
              to help if they see that you have allowed more than 16 minutes between your
              original post and your 1st reply.

You are in college... are you in a Flash class? What is the difficulty of
              the class (beginner, intermediate, advanced)???

What is your skill level?

Do you understand OOP and how to utilize it in ActionScript 2.0? What
              version of Flash are you using? What do you mean by 'use it to build
              something'? Is this going to be a 2d or 3d setup?

Do you have any ideas thus far? Do you have any mock ups, or beginning code
              for what you want to accomplish?

Answer these and maybe I can help.

• 4. Lego game
                Menthol_Man Level 1
                Im only a begginer really, and no i dont understand OOP and how to utilize it in ActionScript 2.0. At the moment i have made 4 different coloured isometric boxs that i can drag onto eachother to make things in an isometric view if you know what i mean. I just have no idea how to go about having alot of boxes to move around with out copying them. They use flash 8 in college.
                • 5. Re: Lego game
                  Level 7

"Menthol Man" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:efulmo$7le$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Im only a begginer really, and no i dont understand OOP and how to utilize
                  > it
                  > in ActionScript 2.0. At the moment i have made 4 different coloured
                  > isometric
                  > boxs that i can drag onto eachother to make things in an isometric view if
                  > you
                  > know what i mean. I just have no idea how to go about having alot of boxes
                  > to
                  > move around with out copying them.
                  >

If you have any means, then upload the SWF where it can be viewed so I can
                  see what you have started.

For the most part, if you are a beginner, you will need to keep this simple
                  or else you will need to do a lot of reading and/or practicing.

• 6. Re: Lego game
                    NSurveyor Level 2
                    If you know some ActionScript, you might want to look up the MovieClip methods: startDrag, stopDrag, duplicateMovieClip, and the MovieClip events: onPress, onRelease, onReleaseOutside (or the Mouse event: onMouseUp instead). The idea is, when you click on the clip (onPress), you duplicate and drag it (duplicateMovieClip and startDrag), and then when the mouse is released (onRelease+onReleaseOutside or onMouseUp), stop the drag (stopDrag), and then possibly fix the position of the piece... like if it's off the build zone, delete it, or snap it into the correct position.
                    • 8. Re: Lego game
                      NSurveyor Level 2
                      Okay, so remove all your current code. Give your clips the instance names, red_mc, blue_mc, yellow_mc, and orange_mc. Attach the following to the frame that contains your clips:
                      • 9. Re: Lego game
                        Menthol_Man Level 1
                        Absolute legend. Thanks!