6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2006 10:47 AM by sbetts@optimumts.com

Installation of FDS with CF

sbetts@optimumts.com
      I'm at my wits end trying to identify the best way to install Flex 2 Data Services on my development PC. I have ColdFusion installed (JRun option) and I just don't understand all of the options enough to determine the correct install configuration.

I've tried default configurations and when I try to view mxml files in a browser, I'm prompted to save the file instead of seeing it on the screen. Is that an installation issue or something else altogether?

Since I installed CF with the JRUN option, can't I install FDS on the JRun server already installed? If so, how? The FDS J2EE installer seems to just create a folder with files in it. Then what do you do? On my second install of FDS, I selected the JRun option and I seemed to get a second JRun server installed. Why is that? Someone please help me understand this. The more I try to figure it out the more confused I get.
        • 1. Re: Installation of FDS with CF
          peterent Level 2
          I know this is confusing, so here are some options. But first - DO NOT install Flex Data Services into ColdFusion. There's no point and not worth the trouble.

Option 1: Install standalone CF; install JRun separately and install FDS as a J2EE app in JRun.
          Option 2: Install JRun; install CF multi-server into JRun; install FDS as J2EE app in same JRun.
          Option 3: Install CF with JRun option; install FDS with JRun option (embedded JRun as we call it). Yes, you have 2 JRun servers going, but that's OK.

Options 1 and 2 are suitable for production environment; Option 3 is not as it has limited connectivity and no support for clustering.

So take a step back and make it as simple as possible. I personally favor #1, but #2 is a close second (pun intended).
          • 2. Re: Installation of FDS with CF
            sbetts@optimumts.com Level 1
            Thanks Peter. That helps. Now a couple other questions come to mind.

I think I like option 2 better but I don't have access to JRun to install it separately. The only way I can install it is to install it along with CF or FDS so option 1 seems like the way to go.

I'll have to do a bit of uninstalling/reinstalling to make it happen. As I'm reinstalling, are there any installation points I need to keep in mind or is a default install the way to go? I just don't want to jump through a bunch of hurdles to get CF and FDS to communicate with each other after I install them. Will I still have to modify server xml files to get things working? If so, what do I need to know to make those changes.

Are there any drawbacks to using this configuration option over the others? I'm not altogether opposed to buying JRun if option 2 makes more sense from an available features standpoint. I just don't want to have to do all of this over again later to take full advantage of the features available within FDS.

Thanks again for helping me understand this a little better.
            • 3. Re: Installation of FDS with CF
              peterent Level 2
              The embedded JRun that comes with FDS is fine for development. But for production you'll probably want more than 5 simultaneous users. There are other restrictions on the embedded JRun, too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Install using the defaults, best way to go. For CF, make sure install the 7.0.2 updater as it adds ActionScript 3 capability to the Flash Remoting gateway in CF - otherwise you won't be able to use Flex 2 nor FDS with CF.
              • 4. Re: Installation of FDS with CF
                I just discovered the free JRun developer download which should make option 2 a possibility. Right? If I install it first, then install CF into it, how would I then install Flex into JRun? If I recall correctly, this is a little more involved than just running the installer. Also, is the ear or war option the way to go with CF? Is that even an option with Flex?

I don't want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I'm just so frustrated at this point that if this doesn't work this time, I'll have to give up. I can't afford to spend any more time on it. If I can just get it installed correctly, I can get back to the development side which is where I'm comfortable.
                • 5. Re: Installation of FDS with CF
                  peterent Level 2
                  Download JRun and install it. It will go into C:\JRun4. Then install CF and pick the multi-server option. It has been so long since I've installed CF that I don't remember if it asks you where (eg, use an existing JRun) to put it, but let's assume it does for now :-)

Then you install FDS into JRun. This is pretty easy: start the JRun Administration Console and you'll see "Create Server" near the top of the page. Give it a name like "fds" and let the rest of the parameters default (or remain blank).

The go to the file browser and find the FDS installation (eg, c:\fds2) and look for the flex.war file. Open it using WinZip or something that can read archive files. Extract the files into the new JRun server you created like this:

For example, if you decided to call the new server fds, then you'll have a directory structure like this:

c:\jrun4\servers\fds

Create a directory under that, say "flex" so now you have: c:\jrun4\servers\fds\flex
                  This is the directory into which you extract the flex.war file. When you are done you should this directory:
                  c:\jrun4\servers\fds\flex\WEB-INF\flex

Now you have Flex Data Services installed in JRun as well as ColdFusion.

If you want to also try the FDS samples, create a sibling directory to the flex one, for example: c:\jrun4\servers\fds\samples and extract samples.war into that directory.
                  • 6. Re: Installation of FDS with CF
                    Thank you very much Peter. That's exactly what I needed.