12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2007 1:45 PM by

login help

eegan_110
      I had to work on a login page working off what somebody else did in the past, I now have that page created the problem I am having now is when you click on the forgot password it sends you to this page http://www.displaycraft.com/html/password.asp
      But when I open the page in dreamweaver this is what I get.

“vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl
      vti_timelastmodified:TR|25 Mar 2004 12:16:04 -0000
      vti_extenderversion:SR|5.0.2.2623
      vti_usagebymonth:UX|6 25 36 25 31 36 30 50 20 27 25 34 23
      vti_usagebyweek:UX|3 4 4 9 7
      vti_usagebyday:UX|0 1 1 0 0 1 0 2
      vti_usagelastupdated:TX|13 May 2007 03:59:59 -0000
      vti_usagetotalhits:IX|368 “

I am lost I need to recreate the page for the new look and don’t know were to start.
      New site’s login page http://www.displaycraft.com/displaycraft_server/client_login.asp
      Any tutorial on creating a login page would work out also I don’t like the way it log’s people in.
      Also any comments on how the site is working would help (what I should fix or good comments)

thanks eric
        • 1. Re: login help
          bregent Most Valuable Participant
          That page looks like a page from a FrontPage managed vti folder. Where did you get it from?
          • 2. Re: login help
            Sorry, hit return too fast. Is this a FrontPage managed site? Have you been working on it with DreamWeaver?
            • 3. login help
              yea, it kind of looks like you might be opening the wrong file. make sure you're opening the file from the right folder. i.e., the html folder, not the _vti_cnf folder.
              • 4. Re: login help
                question: my site used to be Front Page managed, and it's not now. is it safe to delete the vti files/folders?

i should probably post this in its own thread, but it's kind of related to this topic.
                • 5. Re: login help
                  Level 7

> question: my site used to be Front Page managed, and it's not now. is it safe
                  > to delete the vti files/folders?

are you absolutely sure that no <! webbot is being used for anything?
                  No form actions, guestbooks, shared pages, etc?

if not- then i'd clean up the _vti folders and i would disable FrontPage
                  server extensions on the hosting control panel if there is one.

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: login help
                    my server already has no Front Page support. so i'm guessing that when they transferred the site to this new server (this was before i worked here), they disabled all the Front Page stuff, but didn't delete any of the associated _vti files.

so, i'm thinking that means it's safe for me to get rid of the _vti stuff. would you agree?
                    • 7. Re: login help
                      Level 7

> so, i'm thinking that means it's safe for me to get rid of the _vti stuff.
                      > would you agree?

I haven't looked on the server so i can't make that call for you.

If I knew that no one at all is using FrontPage to work on the site, and If
                      nothing in the site uses FrontPage server extensions, then I would delete
                      the _vti folders.

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: login help
                        ok, thanks!
                        • 9. Re: login help
                          eegan_110 Level 1
                          Before I started working at this place the site was created in front page.
                          I’m deleting everything that I can. With hopes the complete old site
                          When I recreated the site I have been working in Dreamweaver (I know nothing about front page).

Should I redo the login page and the lost password page. Now that is past my capabilities (I’m a designer no programmer) but I was told just make it happen. What do you all suggest I should do leave the way it was created and just use that or create the new pages if so is there any help out there to understand what I’m doing (books or sites). I would like to understand it.
                          If you suggest using the old pages how you do go about that. Do I need to load front page I would rather not use that ever
                          • 10. Re: login help
                            >Should I redo the login page and the lost password page.

We can't really tell. The code from the page you posted is not a real html page. It's vti page that was created by FrontPage. These pages do not actually contain html or asp code, they are used internally by FP. We would need to see the actual code contained in the client_login.asp page. But, if this is using FP widgets, then you would need to either rewrite the code using asp or have the FP extensions enabled. Frankly, if you are not familiar with asp programming this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Why are they having you do it rather than a programmer?
                            • 11. Re: login help
                              eegan_110 Level 1
                              At this point of time we have no work, its are slow time so I have the job of creating the new site.
                              I do understand how to do some thing and would like to know more (more money!!!!!)
                              so over all what your saying is just start all over working with asp
                              • 12. Re: login help
                                it kind of sounds like you might be new to this, so my suggestion would be to use the user manual and help files that come with Dreamweaver to learn how to do what you need to do. if you go to the help files within Dreamweaver and do a search on "Building a login page" you should get all kinds of info, including step by step instructions.

hope that helps.