Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert Alpha Character - How?

Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking through the forum I didn't find any user-friendly solutions to getting an alpha character (α) into ID.

I've seen scripts that do this, but I have to share this document w/ novice users and therefore need to keep things as simple as possible.

Appreciate any help on this!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with using the Recently Used Glyph feature in the Glyph panel? You can create a keyboard shortcut (Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts) in the Panel menu product area to call out the most recently used glyph, 2nd most recently used glyph, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL :), Thanks, Steve. You're right - and I use the glyphs panel fairly regularly. Now that I think about it, my confusion was actually finding the alpha character - the font that I'm using (Helvetica Neue), doesn't have it - and I could only find the alpha in the Symbol font - no others.

So I guess I'll be using Symbol as a standard in these documents.

Thanks again.

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use the font named Universal_NewsCom+GreekMath. It has the alpha character in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2009 Mar 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of Adobe's "Pro" typefaces have full Greek support, including the alpha. Just off the top of my head: Myriad, Minion, Warnock, Arno, Hypatia Sans, Garamond Premier....

Cheers,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2009 Mar 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that the Symbol Greek letters have too high an x-height for the text fonts I use -- they'd work fine, but they aren't elegant. Also, there's no italic (for math typesetting you often want alphas in italic). But you can pick a Pro font that's close to what you want -- since you're working in Helvetica Neue, I'd suggest Minion Pro, since it's also sans-serif. But I believe that there may be a cut of Helvetica (something like "World Helvetica"?) that includes Greek if Myriad is too humanist for your tastes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Gregg, Thomas and Rodney -

Thank you for schooling me on this! 🙂 I really should have explored deeper on my end b/c it's all there.

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines