2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 8:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

Best approach

Zim74
      I'm building a website through Dreamweaver CS3. This is a fairly large website, somewhere in the range of 200 pages. The template I've put together has a header and a footer that never change. Only the content/area in between will be changed for each page. My client wants to be given a template that they can insert whatever info they want in this content area.

So I setup a template for this, building with tables, and setting the content area as an editable region. This works fine for me, but the client is using another program and doesn't want to invest in the time/money to learn Dreamweaver.

So my question is this, what is the best approach to setup a page where the header and footer never change, but a client who knows little about web design can put their content in the middle? Basically, a dummy-proof template that is independent of Dreamweaver.

Any thoughts? My thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Best approach
          UteFanJason Level 2
          I use php includes for headers and footers in my pages.

However, if the person doesn't really know much about web design then they should really hire out the entire job. As far as I understand it, the idea of a template is mostly just to save time (preventing having to recode the sames sections over and over again).

You also may find greater strength and validity of the pages if you use css for layout. Not necessary, but it may help.
          • 2. Re: Best approach
            Level 7
            Templates do make your life much easier. I use the following scheme....

First, I mentally separate the page layout into three sections:

1. Stuff that will not change for the life of the site (i.e., the basic
            structural elements)
            2. Stuff that *could* change from time to time (e.g., navigation elements,
            burst advertisements, section-specific navigation, etc.)
            3. Stuff that *will* change from one page to the next

Then I create a template containing all class1 elements. Next I create
            server-side include files containing all class 2 elements and place them on
            the template as needed. Note - some of the class 2 elements may be
            "section-specific elements", and their placement on the template will be
            subject to the next item. Finally, I insert editable regions to cover the
            class 3 items, INCLUDING the section-specific navigation.

This allows me to just cookie-cut the rest of the site. I estimate that
            even for fairly large sites, about 80% of my work goes into planning and
            creating this template file.

> So I setup a template for this, building with tables, and setting the
            > content
            > area as an editable region. This works fine for me, but the client is
            > using
            > another program and doesn't want to invest in the time/money to learn
            > Dreamweaver.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen. Your client's "other program" will
            not respect DW's Template markup and they will wind up destroying the page.
            I suggest you take a completely different approach. Consider using a CMS of
            some sort, like ContentSeed ( http://www.contentseed.com) or even DWCS4's
            built-in InContext Editing.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"Zim74" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gesf0c$7c0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'm building a website through Dreamweaver CS3. This is a fairly large
            > website, somewhere in the range of 200 pages. The template I've put
            > together
            > has a header and a footer that never change. Only the content/area in
            > between
            > will be changed for each page. My client wants to be given a template
            > that
            > they can insert whatever info they want in this content area.
            >
            > So I setup a template for this, building with tables, and setting the
            > content
            > area as an editable region. This works fine for me, but the client is
            > using
            > another program and doesn't want to invest in the time/money to learn
            > Dreamweaver.
            >
            > So my question is this, what is the best approach to setup a page where
            > the
            > header and footer never change, but a client who knows little about web
            > design
            > can put their content in the middle? Basically, a dummy-proof template
            > that is
            > independent of Dreamweaver.
            >
            > Any thoughts? My thanks in advance.
            >