4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2008 8:03 AM by tom dill

AS file not recognizing id's from separate MXML file

karzeem
      I'm new to Flex (and fairly new to programming in general) and have a question that Google hasn't helped with.

The relevant code is below, and here's the long and short of it. There's a TextInput whose visibility I want to toggle via a function in a separate AS file. On the line "photoNameEditor.visible = false;" though, Flex Builder gives me an "1120: Access of undefined property photoNameEditor" error, and the same goes for photoName.

I'm fairly sure the problem is that the AS file doesn't recognize the id from the separate MXML file. The error goes away when I put the ActionScript between <mx:Script> tags in the MXML file, but I'd much rather keep the AS in its own file. So my question is what's the best way to get the AS file to recognize id's from a separate MXML file?

Thanks very much. I'd appreciate anything you think might help.
        • 1. Re: AS file not recognizing id's from separate MXML file
          John Hall Level 4
          There are a couple things going on here. Let's assume you want to stick with this approach where you're including external scripts instead of importing a class or using event dispatches (that will all come later - months if your experience is anything like mine). Given that, I'm not sure that text is the best control for what you want to do, but I'm not sure what you want to do exactly. However, if you need text in your situation, might try a label, linkbutton, button - things that play well assumed links and clicks. However, given your code and if you want to use text instead of a label, you can move the handler to the mouseDown event, rather than click, and it would probably work. (sorry for the formatting - lazy right now):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          <mx:Application xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">
          <mx:Script source="scripts/toggleStyles.as" />
          <mx:VBox x="55" y="45" height="100%">
          <mx:Label id="photoName" fontSize="12" fontStyle="normal" text="Click Me" enabled="true" fontWeight="bold" click="togglePhotoNameEdit()"/>
          <mx:TextInput id="photoNameEditor" fontSize="16" width="300" />
          </mx:VBox>
          </mx:Application>

<!--and the ActionScript file:-->

// ActionScript file
          private function togglePhotoNameEdit():void {
          photoNameEditor.visible = !photoNameEditor.visible;
          }
          • 3. Re: AS file not recognizing id's from separate MXML file
            karzeem Level 1
            After chipping away at it some more, I ended up creating a component to handle this all in one piece. Thanks for the tips.
            • 4. Re: AS file not recognizing id's from separate MXML file
              tom dill
              Hi!

You can also try to use parameters into function call for event handling:

<!-- Main MXML file -->
              <!-- Import external AS file -->
              <mx:Script source="scripts/toggleStyles.as" />

<mx:Text id="photoName" click="togglePhotoNameEdit(photoNameEditor, photoName)" top="10" fontSize="18" fontStyle="italic"/>
              <mx:TextInput id="photoNameEditor" top="10" fontSize="16" width="300" />

// scripts/toggleStyles.as

public function togglePhotoNameEdit(photoNameEditor:UIComponent, photoName:UIComponent):void {
              if (photoNameEditor.visible == false) {
              photoNameEditor.visible = true;
              photoName.visible = false;
              }
              }