1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2008 8:41 PM by Dr. Fred Mbogo

Jaxer on AIR

illuminum11
      Does anybody really understand this? I didn't get much from the Jaxer on AIR screencast. I did some Jaxer-ish stuff: created a client-side proxy for a server-side function, and then uploaded the whole #! to my laptop because AIR doesn't do 64 bit. Compiled it (or whatever) using adl.

The outcome?

Nothing. It doesn't display "hello world from jaxer" as it should and does when Jaxer runs on Apache. WTH is the Jaxer on AIR screencast implying? That AIR apps can run standalone and do Jaxer stuff? I don't get it.

Please, somebody, help me get it.

Thank you,

Nour

postscript: where is the AIR api?
        • 1. Re: Jaxer on AIR
          Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
          Jaxer and AIR are wholly independent technologies. If you're looking to somehow embed Jaxer into an AIR app, it's not going to work. Both technologies are for making web applications, but Jaxer is for traditional web apps: a separate web client talking to a web server. AIR is for taking something that could be -- or once was -- a traditional web app and making it run independently of a web browser and possibly independently of a web server.

I think what Aptana is trying to point out with that screencast is that your AIR app can contact a Jaxer web server, and that this makes for a client-server application written entirely in HTML and JavaScript. Compare making an AIR app talk to, say, a PHP server -- which it could do just as well -- which makes for a third language you have to keep in mind when writing your application. The fewer languages you have to use, the more focus you maintain.

To my mind, the best way to make an AIR app talk to a Jaxer server is to use its new REST facilities: http://aptana.com/blog/uri/restful_jaxer