5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 7:23 AM by Newsgroup_User

Giving website elements to client

PiperdogDesign Level 1
      I am a beginner and have made a few of my own websites, but now someone has asked me to make one for their business. Once I have finished their site, how do I give them all the info so they can update it when they want to? I am on a mac he is on a pc, he doesn't have dreamweaver. Will I have to always update the info and be involved?
        • 1. Re: Giving website elements to client
          horribledeath18
          You can take all their files and burn them to a cd or dvd and mail them to them and you can tell them to get a free html editor from CoffeeCup.com or somewhere and let them know about ftp and they can do it on their own. Thats what I do for my clients but I prefer to update my clients site for them for a small charge each time and so that I know the site gets done right and doesnt ruin my rep when a client messes something up especially if the webmasters name or company name is on the site
          • 2. Re: Giving website elements to client
            Level 7
            FWIW I've NEVER given a client my working files, just the actual site files.

--

Walt

"PiperdogDesign" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ger4e6$91v$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I am a beginner and have made a few of my own websites, but now someone has
            > asked me to make one for their business. Once I have finished their site,
            > how
            > do I give them all the info so they can update it when they want to? I am
            > on a
            > mac he is on a pc, he doesn't have dreamweaver. Will I have to always
            > update
            > the info and be involved?
            >

• 3. Re: Giving website elements to client
              Level 7

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
              news:ger6br$bek$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > FWIW I've NEVER given a client my working files, just the actual site
              > files.
              >

Walt, by "working files," I'm presuming you are referring only to the
              original graphics files, yes?

• 4. Re: Giving website elements to client
                Level 7
                Yes, precisely. For example I build all my graphics in Corel PhotoPaint. I
                never give those files to a client, only the resulting files (.png, jpg)
                that are used on the site.

--

Walt

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                news:gesb4k$24t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >
                > "Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                > news:ger6br$bek$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> FWIW I've NEVER given a client my working files, just the actual site
                >> files.
                >>
                >
                > Walt, by "working files," I'm presuming you are referring only to the
                > original graphics files, yes?
                >

• 5. Re: Giving website elements to client
                  Level 7

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                  news:gesbdc$2gr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Yes, precisely. For example I build all my graphics in Corel PhotoPaint. I
                  > never give those files to a client, only the resulting files (.png, jpg)
                  > that are used on the site.

I do the same - standard stuff for any graphics job.