6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 1:47 PM by bregent

All Dreamweaver Components you need

Syntax1
      As I embark on my journey to become a web developer and wed designer. What are the essential components needed for any one who wants to climb aboard. I am presently using Dreamweaver 8. Can any one list the component that you needed to setup a fully functional website. Leave nothing out. I find that companies like to split the components to make more money. They tend to split the more vital components to have a complete functional website. Then they don't mention the additional components you needed for your website. Which results in numerous hours in researches, even days,months for vital components.

Such as:

Database engines
      Databases Driver
      Server Software
      Application Software
      Web Development software (Dreamweaver)
      Etc.

For all of you vets can you please help us beginners with all of the component needed to have a fully functional website. The more we know that sooner we can get to the reason why we wanted to be web developer and web designer. All help is welcomed and appreciated with sincerity! Thanks!
        • 1. Re: All Dreamweaver Components you need
          Level 7
          1. (and most importantly) A solid knowledge of HTML and CSS. Without this
          most important component, your uphill climb will be dauntingly steep.
          2. A good graphics editor - say Fireworks.
          3. You're off and running. Nothing more is needed.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Syntax1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:geadvk$2rs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > As I embark on my journey to become a web developer and wed designer. What
          > are
          > the essential components needed for any one who wants to climb aboard. I
          > am
          > presently using Dreamweaver 8. Can any one list the component that you
          > needed
          > to setup a fully functional website. Leave nothing out. I find that
          > companies
          > like to split the components to make more money. They tend to split the
          > more
          > vital components to have a complete functional website. Then they don't
          > mention
          > the additional component you needed for your website. Which results in
          > numerous
          > hours in researches, even day,months for vital components.
          >
          > For all of you vets can you please help us beginners with all of the
          > component
          > needed to have a fully functional website. The more we know that sooner
          > we can
          > get to the reason why we wanted to be web developer and web designer. All
          > help
          > is welcomed and appreciated with sincerity! Thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: All Dreamweaver Components you need
            Level 7
            What do YOU mean by "components"?

plugin Extensions for Dreamweaver or some image editor?

Or server side scripts for the remote websever, like a blog CMS or forum or
            such?

--
            Alan
            Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 3. Re: All Dreamweaver Components you need
              Level 7
              Syntax1 wrote:
              > As I embark on my journey to become a web developer and wed designer. What are
              > the essential components needed for any one who wants to climb aboard. I am
              > presently using Dreamweaver 8. Can any one list the component that you needed
              > to setup a fully functional website. Leave nothing out. I find that companies
              > like to split the components to make more money. They tend to split the more
              > vital components to have a complete functional website. Then they don't mention
              > the additional component you needed for your website. Which results in numerous
              > hours in researches, even day,months for vital components.
              >
              > For all of you vets can you please help us beginners with all of the component
              > needed to have a fully functional website. The more we know that sooner we can
              > get to the reason why we wanted to be web developer and web designer. All help
              > is welcomed and appreciated with sincerity! Thanks!

Any of David Powers books should get you going.... oh, and an open mind
              to learning HTML and CSS, whatever you may think, Dreamweaver does not
              turn you into a web designer, it is not a WYSIWYG program, it is a
              productivity tool to help you build sites.

Dooza

--
              Posting Guidelines
              http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
              How To Ask Smart Questions
              http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
              • 4. Re: All Dreamweaver Components you need
                Level 7
                On 29 Oct 2008 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Syntax1 wrote:

> As I embark on my journey to become a web developer and wed
                > designer. What are the essential components needed for any one who
                > wants to climb aboard.

Roughly in order of importance:

- Learn HTML and CSS, to the point where you can hand-code a page without
                a reference.
                - As Murray says, get a good graphics editor. Fireworks tends to be best
                for web work.[1]
                - Not as crucial, but still important: have a passing familiarity with
                javascript. You probably don't need to be able to program in javascript,
                but you should be able to read it for comprehension.
                - Learn at least one serverside scripting methodology (PHP, ASP.Net with
                VBScript or C#; others - ASP/VBScript, ColdFusion are either in less
                common use or are on their way out but can still be useful).

[1] http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/
                --
                Joe Makowiec
                http://makowiec.net/
                Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
                • 5. Re: All Dreamweaver Components you need
                  Level 7
                  Syntax1 posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> As I embark on my journey to become a web developer and wed
                  > designer. What are the essential components needed for any one who
                  > wants to climb aboard.

Additionally, and since I'm not sure what you mean by components,
                  either...

1. Purchase a domain name from a domain registrar.

2. Find a host service to host your Web site and point the domain to
                  that server. There are zillions of hosting services available.

Some folks do steps 1 & 2 from the same site.

3. Upload your files to that server and your site is live.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                  • 6. Re: All Dreamweaver Components you need
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >For all of you vets can you please help us beginners with all
                    >of the component needed to have a fully functional website.

For a fully functional website you will need:
                    1) A webserver
                    2) A web page

If you need more you will have to define 'fully functional website' better.